Whenever the blood vessels under the surface of the skin get ruptured or damaged, then you’ll experience blood blisters. These blood blisters are red and painful blisters that are filled with blood (mostly), lymph fluids and other body fluids, which are trapped under the skin.
These are the natural response of the body to any injury or pressure. They appear mostly on the hands and feet that caused due to skin trauma (force pinching), injuries, chemical reactions, allergies, viral or fungal infections, sunburns, continuous or excessive friction, scalding or burning, etc.
It is not a serious health problem and doesn’t require any medical attention. You can simply treat blood blisters at home with some natural home remedies.
Home Remedies for Blood Blisters:
Here are the best natural remedies that help you a lot in dealing with blood blisters. Have a look at these remedies and follow them regularly till you get complete relief from these blood blisters.
Remedy – 1: (Ice)
Apply ice/cold compress as a first aid for treating your blood blister. The cold temperature of this ice wrap will constrict your blood vessels and thereby reduces swelling and internal bleeding.
- Pour some ice cubes in a plastic bag and wrap this bag in a small towel.
- Place this wrap on your blister as a compress for about 10 minutes.
- After that, remove the ice and wait for 5 minutes to reapply it again.
- Continue doing the same process for few times after the injury to get rid of pain and swelling.
Note: Avoid placing ice directly on the skin, as it causes ice burn. Also, replace ice with a bag of frozen vegetables or a cold spoon for blood blisters.
Remedy – 2: (Sandalwood)
The cooling nature of sandalwood will absorb the heat from the blister and thus speed up its healing process. It also helps to soothe the skin to ease pain, swelling, and inflammation with its amazing properties.
- Mix 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons of rose water in 1 tablespoon of organic sandalwood powder.
- Stir well to make a thick paste and apply it all over the blisters affected area.
- Leave it to dry on its own and rinse it off with cold water.
- Do the same process for several times daily till you healed your blister completely.
Note: Or mix few drops of sandalwood essential oil with some carrier oil and apply it on the blisters for 3 – 4 times daily.
Remedy – 3: (Cucumber)
Cucumber is a soothing remedy that has plenty of silica (a trace mineral) that strengthen the network of connective tissues in the skin. It has caffeic acid and ascorbic acid that bring down on skin inflammation.
- Cut a chilled cucumber into thick slices and then place a cucumber slice over the blister.
- Let it sit for few minutes by securing it with a tape or bandage till you get relief from pain.
- Repeat the same process for several times daily and take out the bandage.
- Or drink 1 glass of fresh cucumber juice daily (or) consume it as a salad to fasten the healing process.
- Also, simply blend few cucumber pieces and extract its juice. Use a cotton pad to apply cucumber juice on the blood blisters.
Remedy – 4: (Turmeric)
Curcumin is an active compound that exhibits many medicinal and therapeutic properties like antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal blood blisters.
Here are few ways of using turmeric for treating blood blisters.
- Prepare a paste by adding enough rose water (or honey) in 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply it on the blood blisters for 2 – 3 times daily and rinse off with lukewarm water after it dries on its own.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of organic turmeric powder in 1 glass of warm milk and drink this milk at night before bedtime.
- Mix few drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon each of turmeric powder, aloe vera gel and olive oil in a bowl and apply it on the blood blisters and wait for 10 – 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water and repeat daily.
- Stir equal quantities of turmeric powder and ginger paste and apply it on the blisters. Rinse off with warm water after 10 – 15 minutes.
Remedy – 5: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has skin soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal the blisters quickly. It also clears the area with its natural properties.
- Apply freshly extracted aloe vera gel on the blisters affected areas.
- You can also use fresh aloe vera juice instead of aloe gel to get rid of the problem.
- Repeat the application of aloe vera for 2 – 3 times daily for few days.
Note: Or mix equal quantities of aloe gel and vitamin E oil in a bowl and apply this mix on the blisters. Let it dry on its own for few minutes and repeat it as needed to clear blood blisters.
Remedy – 6: (Witch Hazel)
Witch hazel has rich content of tannins which in turn exhibits astringent property to dry and tighten the skin for clearing blood blisters. It also has an anti-inflammatory property that relieves the pain and swelling of your blisters.
Here are some ways of using witch hazel for treating blood blisters.
- Dab a small amount of witch hazel extract on the blood blisters using a cotton swab. Let it dry for few minutes and repeat the same process for 4 times daily until a week to get relief from blisters.
- Mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of dried and powdered witch hazel in enough water to make a fine paste. Apply this paste on the blood blisters for 4 – 5 times daily.
- Boil 1 teaspoon of dried or fresh witch hazel leaves in 1 cup of water for a minute. Steep it for 10 – 15 minutes till it cools down. Soak a clean cloth in this tea. Apply it on the blood blisters for 4 – 5 times daily.
Some Other Remedies:
- Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that dry out the blister and heals it. Dilute few drops of tea tree oil in 1 cup of water and apply it on the blisters. Rinse off with cold water after 10 minutes. Repeat regularly (or) use tea tree oil based ointments, creams, and lotions.
- Epsom salt has magnesium and sulfate that help to flush out the harmful toxins from the body. Mix enough Epsom salt in warm water and use it to soak (or clean) the affected area.
- Chilled used tea bags will shrink the blood vessels and thus restrict the damage to the skin’s surface. Place this moist tea bag on the blister for few minutes and repeat it as needed till you cleared blisters.
Tips and Precautions:
- Never ever pop the blood blister, as it causes infection and thereby delays your healing process.
- Regularly clean the blood blisters and its surrounding areas to prevent the contact of irritants with this blistered area.
- Elevate that blood blisters affected hand or leg while relaxing to prevent swelling in that area and also while you’re working, keep bandage (or soft dressing) on the affected area to prevent blisters from the burst.
- If unfortunately, your blister becomes infected then you should consult your doctor for immediate diagnose and treatment.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet to get fast and safe relief from the problem. Avoid the intake of salt or spicy foods which may aggravate the blister and worsen the problem.
- Quit smoking and stop drinking alcohol, as they increase the body heat and thereby delays the healing process.
- Always reduce pressure on the blood blisters occurred areas of the skin which helps to promote faster healing and also give some time to your hands and feet care to prevent the recurrence of these blisters.
Stop suffering from pain and irritation and start using these natural remedies for blood blisters. But don’t forget to share your experience with us in the below comments box.