Getting tanned has become a matter of fashion now-a-days. To achieve that beautiful bronze glow, most of the people are preferring getting spray tan machines rather than other solutions. Because, overexposure to sun or tanning beds have been linked to many serious health complications like cancer.
[amazon bestseller=”Spray Tan Machines” items=”5″ template=”table” tracking_id=”spraytankit-20″]
Is Spray Tan Machine Really a Better Solution?
Unlike tanning beds, spray tans provide instant result. You will get tanned color within 24 hours. As the color provided by these machines is artificial, it doesn’t lead to situations like melanoma.
Spray tanning service can be availed in any spa centers. However, if you don’t want to shell out much money, you can easily do it at home by purchasing a spray tan machine.
Where Should I Purchase a Spray Tan Machine?
When it comes to shopping a spray tan machine for home, you can find a wide variety of them in the market. Choosing the right one can be quite a task. That is why we have provided enough information in our buying guide – it helps you take an informed decision.
However to make things easy for you, we took up some time and researched well to pick up the best ones.
Comparison Table – Spray Tan Machines
|Spray Tan Kit||Weight (pounds)||Nozzle||Buy Now|
|Fascination FX||25||Airbrush||Check the Price|
|Maxi-Mist||18||Fine mist||Check the Price|
|Aura Allure||16||Satin Finish||Check the Price|
|Fascination FX||21||Airbrush||Check the Price|
|Fuji Spray||25||Fine mist||Check the Price|
Fascination FX Spray Tan series is one of the best in the industry because of its elegance, beauty and functionality. This machine is perfect for people who are looking for nice even tan without sunbathing or professional’s help.
Actually, this device is HVLP model which means that it is very fast. However, it doesn’t leak or overspray the tanning solution.
This machine comes with 3 tanning solutions – 8 oz luminance medium dark solution, 8 oz radiance ultra-dark tan solution, and vibrance rapid develop tan solution. These solutions are made from organic DHA and fortified antioxidants like vitamins and caffeine.
The spray gun of this machine comes with low-maintenance nozzle, fluid control knob and adjustable spray patterns. Apart from that, adjustable air cup and spray cup seal are provided – these components make the spray gun more manageable to access.
It has 3 step speed controls which can be adjusted as per your convenience. In order to provide perfect results, spray gun emits solution in different angles.
The hose of this spray tanning kit is flexible and very easy to use. So, you will not feel any discomfort while applying the color on any direction like vertical, horizontal or circular.
Additional accessories like skylight pop-up tent are very handy right out of the box. It protects the room where the spray tan is applied. However it has a transparent window at the top so the person receiving the tan can see outside of the tent.
Things We Liked:
- Speed control settings.
- Tanning solutions.
- Easy to use device.
- Flexible hose.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- The gun is made up of plastic.
This product has taken second place in our list because it provides salon quality results in an affordable price. The quality of this kit is durable enough to provide 10 or more applications in 1 day.
This kit includes a tent, machines, hose, gun, solution cups, carrying bag and three 8 ounces of Tampa Bay Tan Premium solution in dark, medium and light shades. Each bottle of 8 ounces is good enough for 3 – 4 tan coatings. The tan color will develop within 8 – 10 hours. However, it will darken within next 12 – 24 hours.
The spray gun of this device can be adjusted to vertical or horizontal based on the spray patterns. The nozzle attached to it is completely non-stick and non-clog. So, you don’t have to spend much time cleaning it. The solution cup is shaped in such a way that it will make sure no drops of tanning solution are wasted.
The manufacturer also provides few spare parts like extra spray cup gasket, turbine air filter and spray gun nozzle. This can be very handy in case something breaks or wears out.
Usually, max-mist machines comes with 300W single stage turbine – which can handle 47cfm of air flow. However, it makes 75dB of noise – which is louder than hair dryer but quieter when compared to blenders.
Manufacturer is providing 1 year-warranty on motor. So, if some problem occurs then you can get a replacement for it. A detailed instruction manual is also provided which the kit. It helps you understand how to use it appropriately.
Things We Liked:
- Powerful engine.
- Quite affordable.
- Can be used for 10 applications in 1 day.
- 1 year warranty.
- 3 free tanning solutions which last 4 tans each.
Things We didn’t Like:
- Noise is a bit loud.
This product is an ultimate DIY spray tanning kit available in the market. Apart from being high-performing spray tan machine, it has the most elegant design compared to other products.
The most significant feature of this product is satin spray nozzle technology which delivers smooth finishing and clog free performance. This specific technology and easy operation make this product very helpful for people who are new to using a spray tan kit.
In addition with the machines, the manufacturer provides tanning solution, 8 oz vibrance rapid develop dark tan, 8 oz radiance ultra-dark and 8 oz luminance medium dark. These tanning are developed by Focus – it’s a vitamin rich formula which contains caffeine antioxidants which moisturizes, protects and rejuvenates the skin. These solutions don’t contain parabens or DHA.
The airbrush used for applying solution provides perfect coverage without any streaks or blocks. The solution dial is specifically designed to provide a precise flow of 0.2fl oz. The long flexible hose (11.5 ft) is soft and durable which can be easily turn vertical or horizontal as per your requirement.
Unlike some of the spray tanning machines, the spray gun of the product can be docked up which ensures no spillage. This machines works very quietly so there is no problem with the noise.
It has a unique retractable carry handle which is available within the turbine design. You can lift it up to assist in moving or storing the machine. The manufacturer provides some spare parts for the machine like turbine filter, solution pick up tube and gasket cup)
Things We Liked:
- Leaves a very smooth finishing.
- The nozzles doesn’t clog.
- Ensures a good tanning coverage.
- Comes as a complete kit.
- Easy to operate.
- Whisper quite.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- It may take time to understand the instructions.
- Portable but large.
The FX series from Fascination represents a new standard for beauty, elegance and functioning. It has a powerful turbine motor which ensures right amount of air flow during spray tanning.
This spray tan kit includes – spray gun applicator, fluid control knob, adjustable spray patterns, motor and focus tanning solutions. The tanning solution bundle includes 8 ounces of luminance medium dark, 8 ounces radiance ultra-dark, and 8 ounces of vibrance rapid develop dark tan. These solutions don’t have any parabens which makes them very safe to use.
With this machine, you don’t have to struggle much in terms of operation because it come with just single button. And moreover the operation is also less noisy compared to other machines.
It has color coordinated spray gun features and adjustable air-cap which makes it easy to select different patterns: round spray, vertical and horizontal. The spray gun also comes with connect-fitting and fluid control knob which provides precise spray adjustment. The spray gun has impressive atomization of air flow and it also uses the solution effectively as well.
The complete kit is light in weight and portable so you can carry it wherever you want.
Things We Liked:
- Elegant spray gun and 8ft hose.
- Adjustable spray patterns.
- Low maintenance nozzle.
- 3 focus tanning solutions.
- Natural DHA and no parabens.
- Simple one button operation.
- Light in weight and quite in operation.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- No tent is provided.
- No instruction manual provided.
The Fuji brand is one of the leading manufacturers in spray tanning machines since 10 years. Fuji Mini Tan Machine is one of the most powerful and smallest device available in the market. As it is a HVLP model, this machine works pretty fast and will not leak.
This machine has a control knob for patterns – which helps to tune the small – big patterns of your choice. This is achieved by adjusting the fan speed and size.
With Fuji, you can fully control the spinning of the fan – as its specially designed air caps provide a clean spray patterns. This helps in reducing overspray and mist of the tanning solution.
It has heavy duty rubber stands which protect the floor. As the air flow is controlled by a trigger, this machine will not make much noise.
Manufacturer provides 24 month warranty of the device. This machine is CE, EU and ECAL certified. The kit includes an instruction manual, wrench and cleaning brush.
Things We Liked:
- Really quiet so much suitable for home use.
- Can tan 6 people in 1 hour.
- No over spray or leakage.
- Automatic shut-off system.
- Doesn’t get over heat.
- 1 year warranty.
Things We didn’t Like:
- A little heavy than other spray tanning machines.
Working Principle of Spray Tanning
This process involves applying an active ingredient like DHA to the skin using a special low pressure spraying machine. The active ingredient interacts with amino acids and proteins present in the skin (outer layer), giving off a golden brown color.
DHA is derived from plants like sugar beets. It has been used since more than 50 years for treating several medical conditions like skin-pigmentation. DHA is also approved by U.S FDA for using cosmetic use since many decades.
The tanning effect of DHA is temporary as we constantly shed dead skin cells. So the tan will be gone within few days. Usually, a good quality spray tan lasts for about a week. Some professionals advise to apply a new application of tan in three days for prolonged period of time.
Most of the spray tan contain instant cosmetic bronzer and color guide. These instant bronzers will get washed away after first shower.
Some spray tan contains varied amounts of DHA based on the brand. Most of the DHA activates immediately. 60% of the process completes within first hour of application but the actual tan result will show off over the next 24 hours.
What are the Factors to Consider While Choosing Spraying Tan?
In this buying guide, we provide detailed information about critical aspects that you have to consider while selecting a spraying machine.
1. Spray Tan Compressor
When it comes to spray compressors, different varieties are present in the market. We have mentioned some of them below:
Also known as High Volume Low Pressure Spray Tan System, is one of the most popular ones in the market. As they are light in weight, they can be used in mobile businesses, salons and home. Unlike some other types, it doesn’t overspray or leak the tanning solution. These systems have automatic shut off function which will not let the machine overheat. It can tan up to 6 people per hour which is pretty fast.
Also known as Lower Volume Low Pressure Spray Tan System is only suited for salon purposes. Though some people prefer it because of “Low Volume” but during operation it makes a lot of noise. The noise is generated by fans situated in the turbine. If you want spray tanning machine for home use then this machine is not suitable. Because, it requires a lot of skill, precision and perfection for using this machine. It approximately takes 10 – 15 minutes to apply tan on one person.
c. Airbrush Spray Gun:
Airbrush tanning system with compressor is one of the common forms of the machine present in the market. Actually, it was designed to apply fake tattoos but gradually these are modified for spray tan. When it comes to price, these machines are much cheaper and less noisy compared to LVLP systems. As it has high pressure, this machine will delivers more solution in less amount of time. However, the overspray can lead to wastage. Usually, an airbrush spray machine takes 25 – 40 minutes for one person.
d. Spray Tanning Gun:
Spray tan guns are more comfortable, easy to work and control when compared to other forms. These guns come in aluminum, plastic or a combination of different materials. They are perfect for general spray tannings as they have excellent features. Usually, single phase and dual phase guns are available. These phases are related to how the air flow runs through the gun. Replacement parts are easily available for these machines. Some of the spray tan guns can be completely dismantled and re-assembled for storing and cleaning purposes.
2. Spray Tan Hose
This hose connects the tanning system and the compressor. Hoses are available in different materials like hard plastic, double coated and others. They can be either stiff, hard, too short, too heavy or too long. Always make sure the hose is flexible and soft because if it hits wrong place then tanning job will become a complete mess.
Nozzle is one of the main parts of any spray tanning system. They are specially designed to provide high quality mist so that the tanning solution properly covers all the areas evenly. If the nozzle clogs or emit inconsistent spray then it results in uneven tone or tan streaks. Adjustable nozzles can provide precise tanning. So, make sure the nozzle is of high quality, adjustable and doesn’t get clogged.
Using a heavy or bulky spray tan machine can cause fatigue while spraying the tan. So, make sure the device is portable, light in weight and compact.
Cleaning the device regularly extends the life of the spray tan machine. So, the machine you purchase should be easy to clean.
Few Basics to Consider While Using Spray Tan Application
Before starting a spray tan application, make sure the settings of the machine are properly set and ready to go. Make sure the area you want to tan is clean and ready for the application. Below is the simple way to perfect the technique of spray tan application.
- You have to start the application from the back with left shoulder and gradually work down the application in from neck to buttocks. Spray the backs of the arms and finally on both legs and ankles.
- Now stand to one side and spray the application from down to the up side of the body. Spray the inner thighs as well.
- Now turn to other side and apply the tan from arms to thighs to legs.
- Now it’s time for the front side of the body. Start from the top and spray vertically to downwards. Raise the arms above head and spray vertically upwards to below and repeat the application horizontally across the stomach. Finally, lightly mist the application once again to deepen the color.
- Turn the arms so that the insides is exposed. Start from the top and work down each arm.
Do’s and Don’ts While Spraying Tan
Below are few tips and precautions to consider while applying spray tan to ensure a quality spray tan.
- Prior to applying spray tan it is always better to exfoliate the skin using a loofah or body scrub in the shower. You can also try dry brushing instead of it.
- Remove unwanted hair prior to spray tan application. Use shaver or waxing to remove the hair on the skin. This form of exfoliation helps to remove the dead skin accumulated on the skin.
- Apply body butter on the body areas that are more prone to take more solution like elbows, hands, feet, ankles, knees and feet. It is better apply body butter rather than lotion as it is a better barrier.
- If you have dry skin the tan will flake off with it. So, it is better to moisturize the skin before applying tan.
- Moisturize the skin regular after spray tan application. This will help you retain the tan and keep the skin look fresh for longer periods of time.
- Never rub the skin after showering. Just pat the skin dry.
- Don’t swim, bath or exercise for at least 8 hours after applying spray tan as it will result in streaks.
- There is no UV protection in sunless tanning solution. So, don’t mistake a sunless tan for sunscreen.
- Avoid wearing prettiest lingerie and light-colored clothing as tanning solution will strain them. We recommend wearing dark and lose clothing instead of it.
- Avoid wearing hair ties and jewelry on your hands and feet. If not then white line streaks will be left out.
- Don’t apply deodorant on the armpits as the aluminum present in it reacts with sunless solution and leaves a green finish.
- Avoid swimming in a chlorinated pool or hot tub after spray tan application as it will exfoliate away the tan immediately.
What is the Right Procedure to Stand in a Spray Tan Booth?
- Always stand nice and straight. Never bend, slouch, lean or hunch over. The wrinkles and creases that result from poor posture will result in white line streaks.
- Don’t be alarmed if the technician wants you to stick out the buttocks while applying spay tan on the back. This helps to preventing awkward tan lines on the thighs.
- Always place the feet shoulder width apart with your knees and toes pointing forward. In a smaller booth, the professional may ask you put one leg forward when you are turned sideways.
- Place your arms away from the body. Raise your arms with elbows bent and palms facing the wall.
- Spread the fingers wide as if you are counting to 5. This positioning helps to achieve consistent coloration. While applying tan solution on the back of hands, you will have to curl your finger for achieving better coverage over knuckles.
- Always remember to keep the mouth and eyes closed as the solution can irritate the airways and eyes.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Dark will the Tan Get?
Spray tans are available at different strengths of DHA. You can ask your therapist to advise the best one as per your skin tone and your interest on how dark you to get. For best results, we recommend to leave the tan for 1 – 4 hours before showering lightly. However don’t leave more than 8 hours before the first shower.
2. Is Spray Tanning Safe?
Yes, when compared to getting exposed direct sunlight, spray tanning is safe. DHA – the active ingredient is approved by FDA for using in cosmetics and personal care. For over 30 years, no adverse side effects have been reported than skin irritation in people who are allergic to DHA. So, we recommend taking patch test before using it all over the body. Spray tanning should be applied in a well-ventilated area that has an extraction unit.
If you are using self-tanning at home then make sure to follow the instructions properly. Never let the spray tan get into your eyes, ears, nose and mouth. You can consider options like nose plugs, wear goggles and lip balm for protection.
3. Who Should Avoid Spray Tanning?
people who are allergic to ingredients in tan or have breathing difficulties should avoid spray tanning. To know whether you are allergic or not, we recommend speaking to your therapist or local doctor. Though it is considered to be safe to apply in a well-ventilated area and wearing mask or ear plugs, pregnant women should get approval for their doctor before proceeding with the procedure.
4. Are Sunless Tanning Pills Good Enough?
sunless tanning pills usually contain canthaxanthin which is completely unsafe. If consumed in large amounts, this ingredient can color your skin to brown or orange. It can also lead to impaired vision, hives and impaired vision.
5. What is the Price Range of Spray Tanning?
The price range of the spray tanning usually varies from location to location. Usually, a spray tanning session cost range from $25 to $50. If the therapist comes to your house for session then they expect a little more. Some mobile technicians usually charge from $40 to several hundreds. Though spray tanning can be expensive, some of them do offer package deals and monthly memberships. If you want to spray tan regularly then discounts can be helpful in reducing the session cost. Self-tanning can be helpful to the tan done at an affordable cost.
6. Can You Shave After a Spray Tan?
You should not shave after a spray tan. You have to shave the hair before getting a spray tan.If you have coarse hair then you have to shave a night before getting a tan. This helps to close the pores before the application so that the tanning solution doesn’t settle into the pores. If you have a fair skin then you have to shave on the day you are getting spray tan.
7. How Long Does a Spray Tan Last?
Generally, a spray tan lasts around 5 – 10 days. The tan color will gradually wear off because our skin will regenerate itself and old skin cells get sloughed away. If you want the tan to stay for a longer period of time then here are few tips…
- Avoid swimming as the chlorine will fade off the tan.
- Always prefer wearing loose fitting clothes as tight clothes will fade the color.
- Showering for longer periods of time can affect the longevity of the tan.
- Prevent bubble path to avoid fading.
8. How Long Does a Spray Tan Last?
Usually the entire tanning session lasts for 10 minutes. The spraying alone takes 2 – 3 minutes.
9. Are Spray Tans Safe for Sensitive Skin?
Yes, they are completely safe for all skin types. If you are trying it for first time then we recommend consulting a doctor before spray tanning.
10. Does the Spray Tan Fade Naturally?
Yes, the spray fades naturally. And that doesn’t happen in blotches or patches.
11. Will I Get an Even Spray Tan Color All Over the Body?
Yes, a good professional spray tan person will provide an even tone all over the body apart from sensitive areas like underarms.
12. Can I do more than One Tan Session in One Day?
After one session, the tan will continue to develop for 12 – 24 hours later. We recommend waiting for at least for 48 hours between two sessions.
13. What Should I Wear in a Booth While Getting Spray Tanned?
You can wear bikini or just go nude during the session.
14. Can I Put Make Up on Tan After a Spray Tan?
Before the session you have to remove all the makeup. After the session, you have to wait for at least 6 hours before applying any makeup.
15. Is There Any Way to Get Rid of Sweat After Getting Spray Tan?
You can use baby powder in the cleavage, knees, behind legs and other areas where sweat is more prone.
16. Will Spray Tanning Stain My Clothing?
The DHA present in the tanning solution may permanently stain the undergarments that are worn during the session.
17. What Happens If Spray Tanning Solution Gets Into the Eyes or Ears?
As per FDA, spray tanning solution should not get into the eyes. It is recommend to wear eye protection while getting the tan. If the solution gets into eyes or ears then gently wash them with water. If the irritation persists then consult a healthcare professional immediately.
Purchasing a spray tan machine can be a daunting task, especially if it is your first time. So, that is why we have assorted required information in our buying guide. Apart from that, check out the reviews and analyze the solutions carefully.
Out of all options, “Black Fascination Spray Tanning Machine” if our preferred choice.
Which one did you choose? Still having queries…? Write to us in the comments section below, we will reply to them as soon as possible.