We all know that laxatives help to relieve constipation and regularize infrequent bowel movement. But did you know that laxatives can also promote weight loss?
Although, there are differences in opinion about using laxatives for weight loss, but the truth is that it does work if used correctly. And the best thing is that it shows quick effects.
The truth is that not all of the waste that accumulates in the intestine is flushed out when we pass stool. Some of the waste continues to linger in the colon and intestine which adds unwanted weight. A laxative aids complete and healthy bowel movements and cleanses the entire intestinal system. Laxatives also work by improving metabolism which in turn boosts weight loss.
If you want quicker weight loss results, you may try the military diet, which also cleanses your system.
How Laxative Can Help You Lose Weight?
Laxatives help with weight loss in several ways –
- Regularizes bowel movement – Laxatives regularize bowel movement and aid complete intestinal emptying by either softening the stool, adding bulk to stool or increasing the liquid in stool. Laxatives also stimulate contraction of the intestinal muscles which help to squeeze out the stool.
- Boosts Metabolism – Laxatives also boost your body’s metabolism that speed up the fat burning process and aid weight loss.
- Minimize Nutrient Absorption – Laxatives accelerate the frequency and rate of bowel movement which reduces the amount of time the food stays in your intestine. This in turn reduces the absorption of nutrients such as carbs, protein, vitamins and minerals in the intestine. This mechanism helps you to take in fewer calories from the food you eat.
Types of Laxatives
There are 4 different types of laxatives and each one works in different way.
1. Bulk-Forming Laxative
As the name suggests, these types of laxatives work by adding bulk or fiber to the stool. This type of laxative contains insoluble plant fibers such as Psyllium husk, methylcellulose, sterculia, etc. These fibers absorb water and bulk up stool. They induce bowel movement through peristaltic movements. This type of laxative is best for long term use because it has minimum risk of side effects.
2. Osmotic Laxative
Also known as saline laxatives, they work by separating water from the undigested foods in the intestine and exert pressure to induce bowel movements. Osmotic laxatives often make use of bisacodyl and sennosides. This type of laxative is extremely powerful but not suitable for regular use because they can cause dehydration.
3. Stool Softeners
Stool softeners induce smooth bowel movement by allowing water, fat and other liquids to saturate the stool and make it soft. Mineral oils, glycerin suppositories and docusate sodium and calcium are examples of stool softeners. This is the gentlest type of laxative among all the types.
4. Stimulant Laxative
Stimulant laxatives are believed to work by stimulating the secretion of fluids and electrolytes in the colon that induce bowel movement. They also work by triggering the intestinal nervous system. Doctors discourage prolong use of stimulant laxatives because they make the patient dependent on laxatives and damage the intestinal nervous system.
How to Choose a Laxative?
It is best to select a laxative after considering your needs and the effects that a particular laxative has on your health.
Consider your desired effect – Consider a few questions before choosing a laxative –
- How long have you been constipated?
- Have you tried natural methods such as diet, exercise, beverages to relieve constipation?
- Do you prefer an oral laxative or rectal laxative?
- Do you want to take a stimulant laxative?
- For how long do you want the effect to last?
- Do you have any special health condition that you should consider?
Review the Laxative Package and Label – No matter which type of laxative you choose, it is important to go through the product label thoroughly to make sure it’s safe and does not contain any potentially harmful ingredients or interacts with your medications.
Choose a quality product – Look for a laxative that comes with product guarantee or warranty from the manufacturer or has a returns policy and does not contain any allergens.
Best Laxatives For Weight Loss
This is an effective natural laxative that helps to relieve constipation and support detoxification by cleaning the colon.
It is made from a combination of herbs, fibers and probiotics that help to improve digestive health, regularize bowel movement and remove toxins from the intestine.
It also helps to boost energy levels in the body.
This laxative can be taken for a duration of 14 days to cleanse the intestinal tract and remove waste and toxins.
- Relieves constipation and cleanses the intestinal tract
- Made from herbs and fibers
- Boosts energy
- One of the cheapest laxatives
- May cause occasional cramps and stomach ache
- May cause bloating
This is a fast acting natural laxative that shows effect within 6 to 12 hours.
This is a stimulant laxative that makes use of Senna as the active ingredient.
This is one of the most cost effective laxatives available in the market that contains 1000 pills per container that lasts for a few months.
This laxative does not contain any artificial ingredients or chemicals which makes it safe for regular use.
- Fast active laxative shows effect in 6-12 hours
- Made from natural ingredients
- Cheap compared to other laxatives
- Widely recommended by pharmacists
- It may cause bloating and cramps in some people
This is an all-natural stimulating laxative made using leaves, fruits and herbs that aid healthy and complete bowel movement and relieve constipation.
The laxative is made from a combination of curacao, cape aloe leaf, pods, grapefruit, yellow ginger, garlic bulb and habanero pepper that have no side effects.
All the ingredients are organic, herbal, natural and wild-harvested which ensures the purity and quality of the product.
This laxative can be used in combination with a natural detox and diet program to promote weight loss.
- Made from natural, organic ingredients
- Can be used for detoxification
- Relieves constipation and aids healthy bowel movement
- Gentle on the intestine
- User should drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration
- May cause gas and cramps
- A bit expensive
This is an advanced colon cleansing formula that can be used for a duration of 15 days to detoxify the intestine and promote weight loss.
This cleanse formula contains probiotics, senna leaves, flax seeds, Psyllium husk, aloe leaves, ginger root, rhubarb root, etc. that does not have any potential side effects.
This dietary supplement helps to promote regularity, kick start weight loss, reduce bloating and improve energy level in the body.
This is a 100% natural, non-GMO colon detox formula manufactured with strict adherence to GMP standards. The supplements are 3rd party tested to ensure purity and quality of the ingredients.
- Colon cleanse and detox formula
- All-natural ingredients
- 100% natural and non-GMO supplement
- 3rd party tested for purity and quality
- Some people may experience bloating and nausea
This is one of the most widely used herbal laxatives around the world that does not contain any harmful ingredients.
This laxative shows fast results, helps to relieve constipation and induce weight loss by speeding up stomach emptying.
In addition to improving bowel movements, it also helps to relieve gas and bloating.
This laxative makes use of all-natural ingredients such as senna leaves, peach leaves, strawberry, anise seeds, caraway seeds, etc. that have zero side effects.
- All-natural ingredients
- Regulates bowel movement and relieves gas
- Can be used for prolonged period of time
- Gentle on the intestine
- Shows fast results
- Tablets are large and difficult to swallow
This is an effective osmotic laxative that allows smooth bowel movement by extracting water from the undigested foods. It helps to relieve occasional constipation and irregularity.
Polyethylene Glycol is the active ingredient in this laxative which is considered safe for short term use.
This is a sugar-free and gluten-free laxative that does not have any potential side effects.
This laxative comes in powder form that can be easily dissolved in any beverage or water.
- Effective in softening stool and relieving constipation
- Available at an affordable price
- Easy to use
- You need to drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration
- Some people might experience bloating after taking this laxative
This is an all-natural colon cleanse supplement that helps to detoxify the colon thoroughly without causing any side effects.
This supplement makes use of natural ingredients such as ginger root, senna leaf, walnut bark, butternut bark, grapefruit fiber, licorice root, milk thistle seed, etc. that have no potential side effects.
Being a fast acting formula, it starts showing results within 2 to 5 days of use.
This supplement comes in capsule form with is easier to consume compared to tablets and powders.
- Cleanses the colon thoroughly
- All-natural ingredients
- Fast-acting formula shows results within 2 to 5 days of use
- May cause cramping and stomach ache in some people
This is more of a dietary supplement than a laxative that contains the goodness of Himalayan triphala extract.
Triphala helps to cleanse and detoxify the system and supports proper functions of the digestive, circulatory and respiratory systems.
This supplement is made using finest ingredients in a GMP certified facility that ensures purity and quality of the product.
This is a 100% natural and vegetarian supplement that does not contain any allergens, chemicals or fillers.
- Contains natural triphala extract
- Cleanses and detoxifies the system
- Supports digestive, circulatory and respiratory systems
- 100% natural and vegetarian supplement
- Takes some time to show results
How To Make Laxatives More Effective?
- Whether you take capsules, tablets or powders, it is important to consume a lot of water and fluids throughout the day to prevent dehydration.
- You can take a supplement along with laxative to restore important antioxidants to the body.
- You should also increase the intake of fruits and vegetables to ensure that your body receives enough nutrients.
- Make it a point not to skip meals because you should always have something in the intestine that the laxative can eliminate.
- Accompany your laxative use and diet with exercise to aid better elimination and boost weight loss.
- Most importantly, consult your doctor to make sure whether taking a laxative is safe for you.
Side Effects of Laxatives
Although, most laxatives don’t cause any serious side effects when used within recommended dosage, but its best to know the possible side effects to stay on the safe side.
- Stomach cramps
- Rectal bleeding
- Allergic reaction
Modern Products Swiss Kriss Tablets is the clear winner from our list because it is extremely effective in relieving constipation and promoting weight loss and causes minimal side effects. It is made using all-natural ingredients and shows fast results.