Legs (feet) are very important for a person to go here and there. So, you have to take some special care towards your feet and help them to do their job effectively without any pain or discomfort. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is an age-old remedy that widely used for treating many foot problems.
The most common form of using vinegar for treating foot problems is soaking. So, here we are presenting you a detailed explanation of apple cider vinegar for feet and its soaking benefits below. Have a look at how to use apple cider vinegar to treat various foot problems.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Athlete’s Foot:
Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection called ringworm on the foot. It mostly affects the skin on the feet and if not treated on time then it will spread to toenails and hands. It causes foot itching, burning, scaling and painful rashes, especially in between the toes.
Apple cider vinegar has antifungal, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that fight against the fungus causing Athlete’s foot. It balances the pH levels of the skin to relieve you from itching and burning sensation. It also has an anti-inflammatory property that treats the pain and irritation caused on the feet.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 5 cups of apple cider vinegar in 1 gallon of warm water in a large bowl.
- Stir it and soak your feet in this water mix for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- After that, take out the feet and dry it thoroughly.
- Do the same soak for twice daily until you get complete relief from athlete’s foot.
- Or mix ACV and warm water in 1:1 mixture and soak your feet in the detox bath for about 10 – 15 minutes daily for up to 10 days to get relief from athlete’s foot.
- Or simply apply undiluted apple cider vinegar on the affected areas several times a day. If you feel stinging sensations then dilute it with some water and apply it with a cotton ball.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Toe Nail Fungus:
Feet fungus grows commonly in dark, warm and moist environments that affect your toenails and fingernails. If it is not treated properly then it leads to severe pain, discoloration, and crumbling of toenail edges.
Apple cider vinegar fights against this fungal infection with its antifungal and antimicrobial properties. It also dries out the feet to prevent the spread of infection along with balancing the pH of the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Soak your toes in this mix for about 30 minutes.
- After that, dry the feet and massage your toes with oil (prepared by mixing a few drops of tea tree oil in any carrier oil) for a few minutes.
- Leave it to dry naturally and continue doing it for 3 – 4 times daily.
- For quick results, do alternate foot baths using warm and cold water.
- Or mix 1/3 cup each of apple cider vinegar and Epsom salt in 2 cups of hot water. Soak your toes for about 30 minutes.
- Or simply dab undiluted apple cider vinegar on the affected toenails and leave it to get dry.
- Soak the toes in a solution prepared with 1 part of ACV and 2 parts of water for about 15 minutes. rinse with water and dry the feet with a soft, clean towel.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dry or Cracked Feet:
Dry or cracked feet occurs due to standing for long hours, cold weather, wearing improper footwear, certain health problems, being overweight, etc. which makes the feet skin to lose moisture and leaves open cuts that bleed.
Apple cider vinegar has acetic acid that helps to soften the skin and thus makes exfoliation easier to remove the dead skin cells from the feet. The vinegar soak will remove dry and cracked skin on the feet very effectively.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in a basin filled with lukewarm water.
- Stir it and soak your feet in this water for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- After that, take out and scrub it gently using a pumice stone or a delicate brush to get rid of dead skin and dryness.
- Then rinse your feet with water and dry it thoroughly.
- Now apply some natural moisturizers like coconut oil or Shea butter or olive oil.
- Repeat the same process for 4 times a week to get rid of dry feet or if your case is serious, then use it daily.
Note: This process is used to give relief from the tired and sore feet and thus makes you move without aching.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Sore or Fatigue Feet:
Foot pain can be caused due to a wide range of possible causes like sprains and strains, gout, verrucas, corns, calluses, blisters, ingrown toenails, plantar fasciitis, arthritis, standing your ground with flat feet, etc. If not treated, it leads to severe pain and uncomfortable to move on.
Apple cider vinegar is rich in essential nutrients like calcium, potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium that joints in your body and relieves you from pain. It flushes out the toxins and balances your pH levels in the body.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 2 cups of raw apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in a 1/2 gallon of warm water.
- Stir well in a large bowl and soak your feet in it until the water gets cold.
- Repeat it once or twice a week till you got complete relief from the foot pain.
- In this process, hot water helps to relax the muscles and eases your stress and strain by promoting proper blood circulation. Epsom salt detoxifies your body, reduces pain & muscle cramps and helps to balance the sulfates and magnesium in the body.
Note: Or mix 1 cup each of ACV, Epsom salt and sea salt and 1/2 cup of dried lavender in your foot bath filled with warm water. Place your feet in this apple cider vinegar foot soak for a few minutes to get rid of the fatigued feet.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Corn and Callus:
Corns and calluses are painful thick, hardened layers of the skin that develops when the skin tries to protect itself against the friction or pressure caused due to inappropriate footwear, standing for a longer time, etc.
Apple cider vinegar helps to break down this hard structure of the skin and softens the hard skin layers. It relieves you from pain and burning feel with its anti-inflammatory property. It exfoliates the skin to lessen the appearance of warts and calluses.
Steps to be followed…
- Add equal quantities of organic apple cider vinegar and warm water in your foot tub.
- Soak your feet in this tub for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Then scrub your feet gently with a pumice stone to remove the dead skin.
- Now submerge your feet for another 10 minutes and dry it off.
- Regularize this process for once a week until you cleared the problem completely.
- To treat warts and calluses, soak your feet in hot water for about 5 minutes and then soak the feet in a tub filled with enough ACV for about 10 – 15 minutes. Dry it gently with a soft towel and repeat it regularly.
- Apply a cotton ball which is soaked in ACV for a couple of minutes on the affected area. Wrap a bandage to secure the ball and leave it for overnight. Repeat the action regularly till you get relief from calluses and warts.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Foot Odor:
Foot odor or smelly feet generally occurs due to sweat in summer or after a long day at work. The smell comes when the sweat is mixed with bacteria due to poor hygiene, stress, hormonal changes, etc. are some of the reasons for smelly feet.
Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature that inhibits the growth of bacteria and dries out the feet to combat the odor of smelly feet.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 cup of ACV and 5 drops of thyme essential oil in 9 cups of warm water in a foot basin.
- Stir well and soak your feet in it for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- After that, pat dry your feet and repeat the same regularly till you cleared the foot odor completely.
- To clear sticky feet, combine 1 part of ACV with 2 parts of water in a foot basin. Then add a few drops of thyme essential oil (neutralizes the body odor) to this water. Soak your feet for 15 – 20 minutes and dry it.
- If you don’t have thyme oil, then use baking soda. Stir 1 ½ cups of baking soda in 4 cups each of ACV and water in a tub. Soak for 15 – 20 minutes and dry it well.
- Or pour ACV on baby wipes and soak it in the fridge for overnight. Then use these wipes to rub your soles of the feet as often as needed.
Other Apple Cider Vinegar Soaks for Beautiful Feet:
After spending a long day on your feet will definitely make your feet tired and aching. The one who went through foot soaks will know how relaxing these soak. It not only relaxes the feet but also detoxifies it by removing toxins, bacteria, and dead cells.
- Apple cider vinegar will soothe the skin to clear the tiredness and pain with its anti-inflammatory property. It calms down your senses and reduces the aching after a long exhausting day. It exfoliates the skin to clear dead cells, dirt and other impurities and softens the skin.
- Pour 2 – 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt and 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in your foot soaking container which is filled with warm water. If you want, you can add a few drops of essential oils. Stir and soak your feet for about 30 minutes and scrub your feet gently. Rinse and pat dry the feet.
- Add 1 cup of green tea and 1/2 cup of ACV in your tub filled with warm water. Stir and soak your feet in this water for about 30 minutes or till the water gets to room temperature. Then start scrubbing your feet and rinse it off.
- Wrap 1 cup of oatmeal in a muslin cloth and place it in your tub filled with warm water. Then add 1/2 cup of ACV in this water and stir well. Soak the feet in this water for about 30 minutes. Scrub your feet and rinse off with water.
- For everyday feet care, you have to mix 1 cup of vinegar and a few drops of essential oils in 2 gallons of warm water. Soak your feet in this water for about 45 minutes, twice a week. Then gently rub your feet with a pumice stone and dry the feet to moisturize.
- For soft, smooth feet, mix 1/4 cup each of vinegar and Listerine in 1/2 cup of warm water. Stir well and soak your feet in this water for about 10 – 15 minutes. This vinegar – Listerine soak will help to exfoliate the skin to clear dead cells and bacteria on the skin. Regular follow-up of this soaking process will help to grab soft, smooth and healthy feet.
Other Health Benefits you can grab by soaking your feet in ACV.
- Relives pain from minor sunburn
- Soothes a bee sting
- Heals cracks and dry skin
- Soothes and relaxes your feet muscles
- Fade liver or age spots
- Heals eczema or swollen feet
- Treats plantar warts and fasciitis
Tips and Precautions:
- It’s always preferred to use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar that contains mother rather than normal one.
- It is recommended to keep your feet clean and dry to prevent these infections, as fungus or microbes will love warm and moist areas.
- Don’t use vinegar when you’re having any open sores, scratches, wounds or cuts on your feet, as it may cause burning sensation and other side effects.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you find any rash, redness, irritation or itching after using ACV foot soaks.
Dilute more of your vinegar if you’re suffering from any irritation or stinging sensation.
That’s all for now about Apple Cider Vinegar for Feet. Hope you’ll give a trial to these ACV methods in treating your foot problem. Don’t forget to share your experience with us.