Whiteheads (or closed comedones) are one of the forms of acne that caused due to the clogging of skin pores with excess sebum, dead skin cell or trapped dirt.
These are similar to blackheads, in which blackheads appear in black or dark color due to oxidation and the whiteheads appear in small white or yellow bumps without being exposed to oxygen.
The whiteheads occur most commonly on the cheeks, nose, forehead and temples. People with oily skin are more prone to this acne problem and other causes include hormonal changes, genetics, stress, smoking, increase in androgens, acne, improper skin care, etc.
These won’t cause any pain and can be easily removed at home with the usage of some simple natural remedies.
Home Remedies for Whiteheads:
The listed below are some best natural remedies that widely used to treat whiteheads effectively. All you need to do is to choose the best the suits you and follow them regularly till you cleared the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Facial Steam)
Sauna or a facial steam helps a lot in clearing both whiteheads and blackheads, as it opens up the skin pores and thus loosens the buildup of excess oil, dead cells, and dirt.
For best results, follow this method before exfoliating or scrubbing the skin to remove whiteheads.
- Boil some water in a pot and pour it in a large bowl.
- Then place your face over the bowl and hold a towel over your head and towards the bowl.
- This process will prevent the escape of steam and soak your face in this steam for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Then after, dry your face with a clean soft towel.
- Repeat the same regularly for once or twice a week till you get complete relief from the whiteheads.
Note: Or simply dip a clean cloth in warm water and squeeze the cloth to remove the excess water. Then place this hot cloth over your face for few minutes till the cloth cools and repeat the same for few times.
Remedy – 2: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda acts as an exfoliant that removes excess sebum, dead cells and other impurities on the skin. It tightens the skin and also maintains proper pH balance of the skin to prevent these skin disorders.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in enough water till it forms a thick paste.
- Apply this mix on the whiteheads affected skin areas.
- Leave it for few minutes and scrub the baking soda applied areas with your wet fingers.
- Rinse it off and pat dry your skin.
- Continue the same process regularly for 2 – 3 times a week for best results.
Remedy – 3: (Oatmeal)
Just like baking soda, oatmeal has natural exfoliant property that removes accumulated oil, dead cells and other impurities without over-drying the skin. It also opens up the skin pores to remove whiteheads easily.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and raw honey, 2 tablespoons of yogurt and 4 tablespoons of powdered oatmeal in a bowl till it forms a paste.
- Spread this paste on a damp skin, where you’re suffering from whiteheads.
- Rinse it off after 20 minutes and dry your skin.
- Regular follow – up of this process for 1 – 2 times a week will help you to get rid of whiteheads.
Note: Or mix enough of powdered oatmeal and water to make a fine paste. Apply it on the affected area and wait for 10 minutes and start scrubbing the area gently to exfoliate the skin and clear whiteheads.
Remedy – 4: (Strawberries)
Strawberries have a mild abrasive texture that exfoliates the skin to remove dead cells, excess oil and dirt which clogs the skin pores. Salicylic acid in strawberries will help to unblock the pores and protect the skin from sun damage with its ellagic acid.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey in 2 – 3 mashed strawberries.
- Stir well and spread it on the face by concentrating more on the whiteheads.
- Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat it regularly for once or twice a week till you get relief from whiteheads.
- For effective results, use this exfoliating scrub after sauna.
- Or simply apply raw honey to clear whiteheads with its thick consistency.
Remedy – 5: (Sugar Scrub)
We all are aware that homemade sugar scrub is very effective in exfoliation process, which in turn, removes the excess oil and debris that trapped in the skin pores.
- Mix few drops of fresh lemon juice in 1 tablespoon each of sugar and honey.
- Stir well and spread this mix on your face.
- Massage it gently in circular motions for a couple of minutes.
- Wait for another few minutes and wipe off your face using a clean wet washcloth.
- Finally, rinse your face and do the same process regularly for once or twice a week till you are satisfied with the results.
Remedy – 6: (Cinnamon)
Scrubbing with cinnamon will promote the collagen production and thus facilitates the skin regeneration. It also has antimicrobial properties that fight against the acne-causing bacteria.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of oat powder and cinnamon powder with enough of warm water till it forms a thick paste.
- Apply it on the face and scrub it gently for few minutes.
- Rinse off after 10 – 15 minutes and continue this method regularly to get relief from the whiteheads.
Note: Or make a paste by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in 1 teaspoon each of aloe vera gel and honey. Apply it and rinse off after 15 minutes.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can also apply lemon juice that exfoliates the skin. Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected area using a cotton ball and rinse off with cold water after 15 – 20 minutes.
- Application of diluted apple cider vinegar for 10 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water will help you to prevent clogged pores and thus removes whiteheads.
- Tea tree oil has antibacterial and astringent properties that reduce the oiliness and fight against acne-causing bacteria. Simply, dip a cotton swab in tea tree oil and dab it on the affected area and rinse off with cool water after 30 minutes.
- Drink plenty of water, consume fresh fruits and vegetables and avoid spicy, processed or oily foods, coffee, alcohol, carbonated drinks, chocolates, etc. in your daily diet.
- Avoid over exposure to the sun, remove makeup before sleeping, cleanse your face for twice daily, reduce your stress levels, etc. should be included in your daily lifestyle.
- You can also apply a mixture of gram flour and turmeric on the face and scrub it gently to remove whiteheads. Rinse off with water after thorough scrubbing.
- Don’t pop your whiteheads with the hands, as it may result in the formation of pimples.
- Wear sunscreen while stepping out under the sun and moisturizer in normal times to protect your skin from the environmental irritants.
Try these natural remedies to get rid of whiteheads at your home. Do you know any other successful remedies for whiteheads? Then share it with us in the below comments box.