The effectiveness of probiotics for SIBO has become a controversial debate because there are two thoughts regarding it – some believe it helps and others who think it doesn’t.
As a matter of fact, this depends on various factors because SIBO is not exactly same in all the cases. That is why many practitioners and patients have mixed feeling over probiotics for SIBO issue.
However, as per our research, probiotics play an essential part in treating SIBO. Below, we have presented – how and why probiotics are important and several other information regarding it in detail.
Note: The information is pretty long with a detailed description. If you are not interested in a lengthy explanation, by clicking here you can quickly jump to the section of best probiotic supplements for SIBO.
An Introduction to what is SIBO?
SIBO (small intestinal bacterial growth) refers to the condition when there is an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine (1). Normally in a healthy system, bacteria are present throughout the GI tract. But the small intestine contains low levels of bacteria but the colon contains bacteria in highest concentrations.
There is often a misconception among the people that SIBO is caused by bad bacteria or disease causing bacteria. But in reality, it is not the bacteria that is bad, rather SIBO is caused when good bacteria overgrow in a wrong or inappropriate place.
Do Probiotics Trigger SIBO?
So, it’s clear that overgrowth of good bacteria is the reason for SIBO. That is why some practitioners believe that taking probiotics only fuels up the growth. But actually, the problem with probiotics is not the bacterial strains but the prebiotics present in them.
Prebiotics are added into probiotics to let them grow and reproduce. In the same way, when probiotic supplements containing prebiotics are taken, the bacteria present in the small intestine will feed on them and reproduce. This can worsen the SIBO instead of treating it.
Apart prebiotics, certain ingredients present in probiotics can trigger SIBO responses. Some of them include lactose, inulin, tapioca starch, pectin, potato starch, soy, dairy, and maltodextrin. Any probiotic supplement containing these ingredients encourage bacteria growth and make it difficult for us to restore balance.
How Do Right Probiotics treat SIBO?
Probiotic’s importance in treating SIBO cannot be ignored just because some of them are not right. They can be effective in correcting dysbiosis (unbalanced gut flora) particularly after taking antibiotics or herbal treatments for SIBO.
Here are few reasons why probiotics are helpful in treating SIBO and fix up the dysbiosis…
- Probiotics strengthen the mucosal barrier of gut. This helps to prevent pathologic bacteria from attaching themselves to GI tract walls.
- Probiotics control immune system of the gut.
- It produces anti-microbial compounds which help to reduce pathogen. They also help to keep the bad bacteria growth under control and prevent dysbiosis.
Research Studies that Support Probiotics for SIBO
As doctors have recently found about SIBO, there are very limited studies and many researches are still going on. We have gathered the latest studies for you…
- As per a study, people with SIBO were given bacillus clause were given 3 times per day. After a month, 47% of the people had positive results in treating SIBO. Similarly, in other study, people were lactobacillus casei, and 64% of them had positive results. (2)
- In a study, probiotics were compared antibiotics for treating SIBO. People who were taking probiotics had 82% relief compared to 52% in the antibiotic group. Both of the groups were on diet that included dairy, green leafy and legumes. The probiotic strains given were Bifidobacterium brevis, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei, and Streptococcus faecalis (3).
How to Take Probiotics for Treating SIBO?
Below are some of the factors that are suggested by SIBO experts. Make sure to consider them while choosing probiotics for SIBO.
- Avoid Prebiotics: Bacteria in the small intestine can lead on prebiotics and increase their growth which can worsen the SIBO. Make sure the probiotic you purchase doesn’t contain them.
- Supplements instead of fermented foods: Most of the SIBO people react poorly to lacto-based probiotics which are mostly found in naturally fermented foods. They may also work if you have histamine intolerance issue. So, it better to take probiotic supplements instead of naturally fermented foods.
- Start slow: If you are taking probiotic supplements for the first time then it is better to start with a small dosage. As each capsule contains billions of bacterial strains, you have to open it to take a partial dosage. If you can tolerate the dosage, then you can slowly increase it a full dosage.
- Stop taking if you are experiencing a negative reaction: As SIBO is not same in two cases, the reactions may also differ from one another. Usually, the reactions are experienced only in the first few hours after taking the supplement. So, if you are experiencing any offset reactions then avoid taking it. If it is working, then stick to it instead of juggling various other probiotic supplements.
- The right time to take probiotics: At the initial stages of treatment, some people may not tolerate any probiotics. So, it is recommended to take them after a course of the treatment of antibiotics to restore the gut flora.
Top 4 Recommended Probiotic Supplements for SIBO
After a thorough research and testing, we have selected the best probiotic supplements for SIBO. All these supplements don’t contain prebiotics so they are safe to consume for SIBO. However, we recommend checking with your doctor before trying out…
|Probiotics||Major Probiotic Strain||Buy Online|
|Ortho Molecular||Saccharomyces boulardii||Check the Price|
|Klaire Labs Lactoprime Plus Scd Compliant||Bifidobacterium infantis 35624||Check the Price|
|Kirkman Labs – Bifido Complex||Bifidus lactis||Check the Price|
|Prescript-Assist Probiotic||Bacillus Indicus (HU36TM)||Check the Price|
Out of all of the 5 products, Ortho Molecular has taken the first place because it is one of the most recommended probiotic supplement by doctors. Even though it is a bit pricey, it is completely worthy…
Best Probiotic Supplements for SIBO
This probiotic supplement contains the strain of Saccharomyces Boulardii, which is actually a yeast strain but not bacteria. This is the only beneficial yeast that is considered to be probiotic. It is effective in combating the pathogenic bacteria and reduces inflammation in the small intestine. As it cannot colonize the GI tract, this has to be taken continuously. Usually, it is recommended to take it along with a bacterial strain that can colonize the gut.
This product doesn’t contain any prebiotics that can worsen the SIBO. The product is manufactured in an innovative BioShield technology process to ensure reliable and consistent supplement to the customers.
The micro-organisms in this supplement are first protected, sealed and freeze dried away from light, moisture, oxygen, and heat. This enables the microorganism in hibernation state which allows them to be dormant until they re-exposed to moisture present in the GI tract. Each capsule of this supplement contains 7 bacterial strains (which includes Saccharomyces Boulardii) which can withstand the ability to withstand harsh stomach environment and reach the small intestine to provide their benefits.
- Doesn’t contain prebiotics
- Nor refrigeration needed
- Specially formulated for room temperature storage
- Contains 7 bacterial strains
- 2 billion CFU of Saccharomyces Boulardii
- Vegetable capsules
- A little pricey
Reviews from Amazon Customers:
By Kelly Lamb: “This was my go-to probiotic, recommended to me by a doctor. I’ve taken a lot of antibiotics and I like this one because it includes Saccharomyces Boulardii, a yeast that fights against C-Diff and other issues caused by antibiotics. I haven’t found another probiotic blend that includes this yeast.”
By Gary Eversole: “These are a very good product that my doctor recommended to me. Now I get them cheaper and quicker on Amazon Prime, and save a trip to the doctor for a prescription!”
By taffy: “This brand of probiotics is excellent. It is more expensive that the CVS brand, but has a lot of science behind their choice of ingredients.”
By Tracey: “Good quality product. I have been using this product for over three years now Some vitamins that I took in the past gave me headaches made me feel sick to my stomach This product is the best I’ve never had any problems at all taking this probably I highly recommend all ortho molecular product. It’s the only one that I trust”
The main bacterial strain of this supplement is Bifidobacterium Infantis, which is proven to be effective in reducing abdominal pain, bloating and bowel difficulty. Many studies have suggested that it works by playing an immune-modulating role. Usually, this specific bacterial strain is difficult to find in probiotic supplements.
This probiotic supplement doesn’t contain any prebiotics, polysaccharides or any other off-limit ingredients. It contains 7 bacterial strains of Lactobacillus species with 19+ billion BFU’s and 5 bacterial strains of Bifidobacterium species with 6+ billion CFU’s.
This supplement enhances immune system response which helps to keep several inflammations and infections at bay. Recommended dosage is 1 capsule per day with a large meal.
- Doesn’t contain prebiotics and other fillers
- Vegetarian capsule
- Contains 12 bacterial strains and 25+ billion CFU’s
- Physician formulated, trusted and approved
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) compliant
- It should be refrigerated
Reviews from Amazon Customers:
By Taylor: “I love this product. It helped me fight off SIBO(along with diet, Rifaximin and Neomycin!) And it doesn’t bother me at all. I plan on taking this indefinitely!”
By Beelover: “Recommended by my nutritionist for SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) Was able to get back on track with these and a modified diet.”
By Josh: “I had SIBO positive, and now it is negative. So, I need to take this supplement. It seems to help with bowel movement. It does not give me any problems or some kind of reaction. I will buy it from them again.”
The main bacterial strain present in this product is Bifidus Lactis. This product has been proven to enhance the immune system which reduces the occurrence of antibiotic- associated diarrhea and support bowel movements. It also helps to support intestinal health by aiding the production of lactic acid and acetic acid which improve acidic levels in the intestine.
This product is developed with bifido complex advanced formula which supports GI and immune system health with its bacterial strains. It contains 4 Bifidobacterium strains with 15 billion CFU’s. If you are looking for a hypoallergenic probiotic dietary supplement for treating SIBO then this product is the right choice.
Recommended daily dosage is 2 capsules daily with a large meal. In case, if you are taking other supplements for any medical condition then consult the doctor for proper dosage.
- Hypoallergenic probiotic formula
- The bottle contains 60 vegetarian capsules
- Inulin and prebiotics free
- Made in USA
- Tested to be free of over 950 environmental contaminants
- Specially designed for people with dietary sensitivities
- Needs to be Refrigerated
Reviews from Amazon Customers:
By younginspirit: “I am histamine intolerant and this probiotic was recommended for this issue. I have had very good results with this.”
Many SIBO and IBS sufferers have found successful results with soil based probiotics. Usually, soil based probiotics are only available with a doctor’s prescription. Fortunately, only company brand is available that provides soil based probiotics without a prescription which is Prescript Assist.
This product contains 29 bacterial strains, out of which Bacillus Indicus plays a major role. These bacterial strains help to support healthy microflora and intestines. As these capsules are highly viable, they can withstand the stomach acidity and safely reach the intestines.
The bacterial species present in this supplement are inherently resilient, many tests have proven that they can maintain 95% viability even after exposure to 98F+ heat for two years. Recommended dosage is 1 – 2 capsules per day as directed by the physician.
But this product contains certain prebiotics as well. As now two SIBO cases are same, some may get relief from capsules with prebiotics as well. So it is better to give it a try and know how you react. If not, you can go with any other probiotic supplement.
- Doesn’t need refrigeration
- Vegetarian capsules
- Doesn’t contain milk, eggs, peanuts, gluten, corn, tree nuts, shellfish, and soy
- Doesn’t contain any added preservatives or fillers
- Soil based probiotics
- 2 years of expiry date from manufacturing date
- A little expensive
- Not for those who are taking dietary probiotics for first time
We hope the information provided in this article has clarified your doubts regarding whether probiotics are suitable for SIBO patients or not. Even if you are still in doubt, we recommend trying probiotic supplement once to know how you react to it. If you observe any negative reactions, then stop taking them. If they are positive, you can continue. The best time to take probiotics is after completing the antibiotic treatment of SIBO.
If you still have any doubts of queries, write to us in the comment section below. We are happy to clarify your queries.