Dandruff is a common but not serious or contagious scalp problem that caused due to yeast like fungus, too oily or dry scalp, certain scalp infections, sensitivity to hair care products, unhygienic hair care, stress, etc. It shreds the dead skin cell from the scalp and causes itching, irritation, and inflammation.
However, it is an embarrassing condition that affects one’s social or self – esteem but don’t get worried about this situation. There are many natural remedies like apple cider vinegar (ACV) which help you to get relief from dandruff and other scalp problems at home with low cost and no side effects on hair.
Have a look on its properties to know how an apple cider vinegar works to cure dandruff that in turn makes you feel more confident to use ACV.
- It has powerful enzymes like acetic and malic acids that kill the fungus, germs like bottle bacillus causing dandruff.
- It has antibacterial and antifungal properties that fight against the bacteria or fungus infecting the scalp.
- It helps to restore the pH balance of the scalp which restricts the growth of bacteria or yeast on the scalp and thereby prevents dandruff.
- It unclogs the pores and cleanses it to get rid of dirt, dust, dead cells and other impurities.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property that relieves you from irritation and inflammation caused due to itching while suffering from dandruff.
- It acts as a mild conditioner that moisturizes the scalp and thus reduces itching and flaking. It also leaves your hair shiny and free from infections.
Here we are presenting you the best of 4 apple cider vinegar methods that definitely make you feel having dandruff free hair. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar alone can be used to treat dandruff but be sure to dilute it if you have sensitive skin to prevent irritation.
Steps to be followed…
- Cleanse your hair with shampoo and dry it to make the hair free from dust and oil.
- Pour enough of apple cider vinegar in a small bowl.
- Soak a cotton ball in this vinegar and apply it on the scalp.
- Be sure to apply it on all over the scalp by separating your hair into parts.
- After thorough application, massage it gently for few minutes.
- Then wrap your hair in a bun and cover it with a warm towel or shower cap.
- This process helps to open up the scalp pores and penetrates the vinegar into for a quick relief.
- Let it sit for about an hour to two and rinse it off with warm water without using shampoo.
- Dry your hair thoroughly and continue doing the same process for twice a week to get rid of dandruff.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse)
Rinsing your hair with ACV is also effective in clearing dandruff. Diluting apple cider vinegar in water will give the best results by balancing the pH levels of the scalp and thus eliminates the infections on the scalp.
Steps to be followed…
- Rinse your hair with shampoo followed by water.
- Mix 2 parts of apple cider vinegar in 1 part of warm water.
- Pour this mix on the scalp and hair.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it on for another few minutes.
- Finally, rinse it off with water and dry your hair.
- Continue doing the same process regularly until you got complete relief from dandruff.
- Alternatively, prepare ACV spray by mixing 1/4 cup each of apple cider vinegar and water. Pour this mix it in an empty spray bottle and spray it on all over your scalp after shampooing your hair. Wrap your hair in a shower cap for 30 – 45 minutes and rinse it. Repeat it twice a week.
- Or simply add few drops of essential oils (like lavender, lemon grass, rosemary or peppermint) or honey to ACV rinse or spray. Stir it and use it to get rid of dandruff.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Fenugreek)
Apple cider vinegar eliminates dandruff causing fungus and fenugreek nourishes the scalp and gives a cooling effect to scalp for relieving you from itching and irritation.
Steps to be followed…
- Soak 1/4 cup of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of water for overnight.
- Blend the soaked seeds to make it a fine smooth paste.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar into the paste.
- Apply it on the scalp by concentrating more on the areas where the dandruff symptoms are more.
- Allow it to sit for about 15 – 30 minutes, if you prefer you can wear a shower cap.
- After that, rinse it off with warm water followed by shampoo.
- Do the same process for twice a week to observe the improvements faster.
Note: Or use fenugreek leaves instead of seeds in this process to grab the same benefits.
Method – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Herbs)
Apple cider vinegar is a natural conditioner and has cleansing property that gives instant relief from the dry and itchy scalp. Herbs used in this process is used to soothe the irritated and infected scalp.
Steps to be followed…
- Boil 2 cups of raw apple cider vinegar in a pan for few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add 1/4 cup of dried herbs (like chamomile, calendula, sage, thyme, lavender and rosemary oil) in it.
- Allow it to steep for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Then strain out the herbs and pour this mix in a bottle.
- Now mix 1/8 cup of ACV liquid with 1 cup of water before applying.
- Apply it on the scalp and hair and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Let it sit for another few minutes and rinse it off with shampoo and conditioner.
- Continue doing the same for 3 times a week till your scalp is free from dandruff.
Tips and Precautions:
- Never ever apply ACV on hair after applying oil, as oil coats the scalp and makes the vinegar not to penetrate into the scalp.
- Do some skin patch test on the base of your hairline to know whether ACV is causing any allergic reaction or you have to dilute it more due to your sensitive skin.
- Always use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar that contains mother for treating any skin, scalp or health problems including dandruff.
- Shake the bottle each time before using it to distribute all the beneficial enzymes, bacteria and other trace minerals which stay at the bottom of the bottle.
- Consult your doctor or hair specialist, if the dandruff infection prolongs after using the cider vinegar or suffering from chronic dandruff attacks.
- Be sure to apply ACV in a properly ventilated area, as its fumes can sting the eyes. Also, remember that the cider vinegar smell will wear off when once the hair dries completely.
- Consume healthy and well-balanced diet, exercise regularly, maintain good hair hygiene and reduce the over usage of styling products, avoid stress, have a relaxed sleep, etc. to get rid of dandruff now and in future as well.
Why waiting? Start using apple cider vinegar as a natural medicine for your dandruff. Do you think any ACV method missed here or have any queries? Then share it with us.