Yellow nails is really a quite embarrassing beauty problem that faced by both men and women. Frequent usage of nail polish is the main reason for this yellow nails.
The pigments in nail paint (especially darker shades) will stain the nails over time and causes yellow color on the nails.
Other than nail polish, fungal infection, excessive smoking, chronic liver problems, unhealthy diet, poor lifestyle habits, improper hygiene, excessive sweating, prolonged usage of closed toed shoes, certain health problems, compromised respiration, etc. will cause yellow nails.
Yellow nail syndrome can affect all the nails and toenails that make the nails yellowish or brownish in color (not the whole nail). Unpleasant odor, brittle or cracked nails, thick, dull and lusterless nails, pain, etc. are some symptoms of yellow toenails.
There are many natural remedies that help to treat yellow nails at home without spending money in spas or parlors.
Home Remedies to Clear Yellow Nails:
Here are the best natural remedies to be followed for treating yellow nails. All you need is to follow these natural remedies along with some healthy diet and proper nail care.
Remedy – 1: (Lemon)
Lemon acts as an excellent bleaching agent that effectively clears the yellow stains on the nails. It has antifungal, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear fungal infections along with relieving the pain of the nails that caused due to the infections.
Here are some ways of using lemon for treating yellow nails.
- Fill the bowl with some fresh lemon juice and soak your yellow nails in this juice for 10 – 15 minutes. Then scrub the nails gently using a soft toothbrush to get rid of the stains on your nails. Rinse the hands with lukewarm water and apply a moisturizing lotion to prevent dryness. Repeat twice daily.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin then fill the bowl with half of fresh lemon juice and water before soaking your nails to get rid of yellow nails.
- Baking soda exfoliates the skin to clear yellow nails. Take the juice of 1 lemon and add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to make a paste. Apply it on the nails and wash off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes. Repeat the same process for twice daily.
- Olive oil and honey moisturize the nails to counteract the effect of nail polishes. Mix 1 teaspoon each of olive oil and honey and spread it on your cuticles. Then take fresh lemon juice and apply it on your nails. Rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
- Glycerine moisturizes the nail and adds shine to it. Mix equal quantities of glycerin and fresh lemon juice. Stir well and apply it on your nails. Wait for 15 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water. Avoid scrubbing your nails even though there is a leftover of glycerin on the nails.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of baking soda to make a thick paste. Apply it on your nails and rub it gently using a soft toothbrush. Wash the area with warm water after 5 minutes. Continue it once in every two weeks.
Remedy – 2: (Hydrogen Peroxide)
Hydrogen peroxide has bleaching and exfoliating properties that clean the nails to remove yellow stains. Always remember to use only 3% hydrogen peroxide for treating any problem.
Here are few ways of using hydrogen peroxide to treat yellow nails.
- Pour 3 – 4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in 1/2 cup of water. Stir well and soak your nails in this mix for 2 – 3 minutes. Scrub your nails gently using a soft toothbrush. Rinse with water and repeat once a week to get rid of the problem.
- For treating stubborn stains, you can directly apply hydrogen peroxide on the nails and scrub it gently by using a soft toothbrush for a couple of minutes.
- Make sure to apply a moisturizing lotion after using hydrogen peroxide remedy to prevent dryness, as peroxide dehydrate the nails and makes it brittle and weak easily.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and 2 ½ tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl. Stir well and apply it on your nails using a cotton swabs or pads. Rinse off thoroughly with lukewarm water after 4 – 5 minutes. Repeat it once in 2 – 4 weeks to prevent nail damages.
Remedy – 3: (Toothpaste)
Toothpaste (especially having teeth whitening property) will work great in treating yellow nails. This toothpaste has a little amount of hydrogen peroxide and other small granules that help a lot in whitening your teeth.
- Apply a small amount of whitening toothpaste on the nails and let it sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Then scrub your nails gently with the help of nail brush.
- Wipe away the toothpaste with the cotton balls soaked in lukewarm water.
- Do the same process 2 – 3 times a week on the regular basis till you get relief from yellow nails.
Note: Or sodium bicarbonate and citric acid in denture cleaning tablets help to remove stains on your nails. Dissolve 2 – 3 denture cleaning tablets in a bowl of lukewarm water. Soak your nails in this water for 15 minutes and dry your nails to apply moisturizer. Repeat it regularly for 3 times a week.
Remedy – 4: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil is used to treat yellow nail that is caused due to nail fungus. It has antifungal, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that help you to get rid of yellow nails. It also restores the natural color of the nails.
- Mix few drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or any carrier oil).
- Apply this oil mix on the nails using a cotton ball.
- Rub it gently and rinse off after few minutes.
- Continue the same for twice daily till you get complete relief from nail fungus and yellow nails.
Note: Or apply tea tree oil directly on the nail beds with the help of an eye dropper. Wash it with lukewarm water after few minutes and do it twice daily for treating yellow nails.
Remedy – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has acetic and malic acid that reduces the nail discoloration. It has antifungal, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that help to treat nail infection. It also balances the pH of the nail and strengthens it.
- Pour 1/2 cup each of organic ACV and lukewarm water in a bowl and stir well.
- Soak your nails in it for 20 minutes and dry it using a soft cloth.
- Do the same process for 3 times daily till you get rid of infection and discoloration of nails.
Note: Or simply mix equal parts of vinegar and Listerine and soak your nails in it for 30 minutes. Repeat it once daily till you get complete relief from yellow nails.
Remedy – 6: (Orange Peel)
Orange peel has rich content of vitamin C that helps you a lot in removing yellow stains on the nails.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of dried orange peel powder with some water till it forms a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected nails and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Then start scrubbing your nails using a soft toothbrush to clear the paste and discoloration from the nails.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and repeat it twice daily for 1 – 2 weeks.
Note: Or simply use a fresh orange peel to rub your nails for 2 – 3 times daily and within few days, you will notice effective results.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Avoid wearing dark colored nail polishes and prefer to use light colored or no color to your nails. Give your nails some time to recuperate.
- Always use a base coat as a protective layer between the nails and the nail polish. It prevents the stains and keeps your nails healthy.
- Also, remove the top layer of the nails by using a buffing board to fade away the yellow discoloration on the nails. Avoid over scrubbing, as it makes the nails weak and brittle.
- Menthol, eucalyptol, thymol and methyl salicylate in Listerine exhibits antifungal property to clear the infection. Soak your nails in Listerine mix for 30 minutes daily for a week and then take a break of 1 week and repeat it regularly.
- Juniper berries have a strong disinfectant property that treats yellow nails, which are caused by a fungal infection. Mix 1 teaspoon of crushed juniper berries in a bowl of warm water. Soak your nail in this water for 15 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water and apply moisturizer and do it once daily at night before bedtime.
- Consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment if you still suffering from yellow nails, as it can be caused due to any internal disorder.
- Drink plenty of water and include vitamins (B & E), iron, calcium and zinc along with fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet to prevent this yellow nails.
- Follow some nail care tips like avoid biting the nails, thoroughly washing the hands for few times daily, applying moisturizer and cleaning the nails to prevent fungal infections.
- Quit smoking, intake of tobacco and drinking alcohol, as they not only harm your body but also your nails.
Try these natural ways to get rid of yellow nails. Do you know any successful remedies for treating yellow nails? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply