When we breathe through the narrowed or obstructed respiratory airways then a high pitched whistling sound is produced called wheezing. You can clearly hear that one when we exhale breathe.
Breathing through obstructed airways will make you difficult to breathe and feel tightness in the chest along with dizziness due to reduced oxygen in the body.
Persistent cold and cough, inhaling foreign object, irritation or constriction of the vocal cords, respiratory tract infection, smoking, acid reflux, pollen, pollution, allergies, etc. are some causes of wheezing.
However, it is not a health problem but can be a symptom of many respiratory health problems like asthma, bronchitis, pulmonary edema, allergies, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), dysfunction of vocal cords, stress, etc.
If this problem left untreated then it degrades the quality of life and affects your sleep and thereby makes you feel tired and irritated.
If you’re suffering from any respiratory problems, consult your doctor for proper diagnose to find out the underlying cause and treat it to get rid of this wheezing. You can use some natural remedies at home to get rid of this problem.
Home Remedies for Wheezing:
Here are some effective natural remedies that alleviate the high pitched whistling sound when you exhale.
Remedy – 1: (Steam and Hot Compress)
Steam and warm compress work best for treating wheezing and other respiratory problems. They clear the thick phlegm and mucus to reduce the obstruction in the airways and thereby make you breathe freely.
- Fill a pan with water and boil it for few minutes.
- Add few drops of any essential oils (peppermint or eucalyptus oil) in it and pour this water into a large bowl.
- Then cover your head with a towel so that the steam should not escape from the towel.
- Now start inhaling the steam through your nose and mouth as long as you can.
- Repeat the same process as needed but be sure to do it once at night before bedtime.
- Also, applying a warm compress to the nose and throat will clear the obstruction in the airways and open up the nasal passage for proper breathing.
- Or taking a hot shower will relax the tense airways and adds moisture to the mucous to thin them and clear it. Run a hot shower and create a sauna – like atmosphere. Take your hot shower for 5 – 8 minutes and continue it 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar helps to balance the pH level of the body and flushes out the toxins. It also provides essential nutrients required for the proper functioning of the respiratory system and clears the germs or mucus causing infections.
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well by adding 1 teaspoon of raw honey in it.
- Drink it twice daily till you get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 3: (Eucalyptus Oil)
Eucalyptus oil helps to open up the blocked airways and thus provides you with an instant relief from wheezing with its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties.
It also effectively promotes relaxation and thus reduces stress, which in turn eases the symptoms of wheezing and promotes better living.
- Mix few drops of eucalyptus oil in 2 tablespoons of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply it on the chest and rub it gently for few minutes.
- Then place a warm wet towel over the chest and leave it for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process for twice daily to clear the mucus and thereby airways.
Note: Or pour few drops of eucalyptus oil in a paper towel and place it near the head while sleeping to open the airways and to breathe better at night.
Remedy – 4: (Ginger)
Ginger has anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that inhibit the contraction and thus eases the inflammation in your airways. It also eases your chest tightness by acting as a muscle relaxant.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ginger slices in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Stir well and cover it.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and strain it.
- Add lemon juice and honey to it and stir well.
- Drink this warm ginger tea for 2 – 3 times daily to get rid of wheezing.
- Or simply mix equal quantities of honey, ginger juice and pomegranate juice in a bowl. Stir and drink 1 tablespoon of this concoction for 3 – 4 times daily.
- Or else, consume few slices of ginger throughout the day.
Remedy – 5: (Turmeric)
Curcumin is an active ingredient in turmeric that exhibits antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that clear the blockage in the nasal passages and soothes the irritated and inflamed airways.
Here are few ways of using turmeric for wheezing, which you have to follow it twice daily.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a pan filled with 1 glass of water or milk. Boil it for few minutes and drink it.
- Consume a mix prepared by stirring 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 2 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon each of grated ginger, turmeric powder and black pepper powder in 1 cup of water. Stir and boil it for few minutes. Strain it and drink this mix.
Remedy – 6: (Garlic)
Garlic is effective in treating wheezing that caused due to asthma and coughing. It has an antioxidant property that neutralizes the free radicals, clears the obstruction in the airways to make your breath properly. It also prevents the asthma attacks by reducing the histamine release in the body.
- Crush 3 – 4 cloves of garlic and place in 1cup of water or milk.
- Boil it for few minutes and let it cool for few minutes.
- Drink it 2 – 3 times daily to get the best relief from wheezing.
- Or consume a garlic clove with 1 teaspoon of raw honey for twice daily.
- Also, consult your doctor to take garlic supplements for wheezing.
Remedy – 7: (Warm Oil Massage)
Warm oil massage will break down the mucus buildup in the airways to clear wheezing sounds. Also, this will improve the breathing and provides you with an instant comfort.
- Slightly warm natural oil (coconut or olive or sesame or mustard oil) for few seconds.
- Apply it on the chest, throat, and nostrils and massage it gently for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Leave it for few minutes and wipe off the excess oil.
- Continue this warm oil application for 2 – 3 times daily to prevent the wheezing and other respiratory problems.
Remedy – 8: (Diet Plan)
Diet will play a key role in treating any health or beauty problems, including wheezing. Here are some diet tips mentioned to be followed to relieve this problem.
- Drink plenty of water, especially warm fluids which help to hydrate the body and loosens the sticky mucus to makes you breathe without difficulty. So, drink warm water mixed with lemon juice or herbal teas or hot soups or coffee or porridge or warm water.
- Include spicy foods like cayenne in your diet, as they make the mucus to thin and clear it from airways.
- Intake of omega – 3 fatty acids (like salmon or sardines or mackerel fishes or fish oil supplements) will strengthen the immunity and clears the mucus.
- Avoid any food that causing an allergic reaction and also the food which produces mucus in the body.
- Avoid the intake of ice-creams, cold drinks, and other cold items, as they can block the airways and worsen your problem.
- Consume a healthy diet that includes yogurt, flaxseeds, citrus fruits, vitamin C rich foods, etc.
Tips and Precautions:
- Try deep breathing exercises, yoga and meditation to get relief from the stress and anxiety.
- Warm the chest and upper back by placing some warm compress on it, to relax the nerves and muscles and also to reduce the respiratory difficulties.
- Always keep your living environment clean and remove irritants from the air which we breathe to stop wheezing.
- Remember to wear a scarf around the nose and mouth before stepping out to filter the air and clear the airborne respiratory viruses.
- Avoid exposing to food allergens and environmental allergens that produce mucus and obstruct the airways to cause wheezing.
- Avoid exposure to strong perfumes, paints or strong smelling chemicals and also industrial areas where the air is heavily polluted.
- Get plenty of rest, which helps to reduce the stress, anxiety, strengthens your immunity or enhance your energy levels to get rid of acute wheezing.
- Use an air purifier or humidifier in your bedrooms to add moisture to the air and thereby to help you sleep better.
- Quit smoking and avoid the exposure to secondhand smoke. Also, keep your surrounding clean.
Try these home remedies for wheezing. Do you know any other successful wheezing remedies? Then share it with us in the below comments box.