High levels of uric acid in the blood is termed as hyperuricemia, which results from either increase of uric acid production in the body or decreased excretion of uric acid through the kidneys.
If it left untreated then it leads to certain problems like gouty arthritis, kidney stones, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension or renal failure. Also, result in the formation of crystal deposits around the joints.
Consuming a diet high in purines, overweight, underactive thyroid, renal insufficiency, excess alcohol consumption, genetics, endocrine conditions, acidosis, diabetes, etc. will contribute to the high levels of uric acid.
Heavy exercising, crash dieting, fasting, some types of cancers and certain medications can also elevate uric acid levels temporarily.
Don’t panic, there are many natural remedies available to reduce the uric acid level and remove its crystals from the joints.
Home Remedies to Control the Uric Acid Levels:
Here are the best home remedies which you have to follow them regularly to get rid of increased uric acid levels. You have to take a healthy diet and proper diagnose and treatment by your doctor to get best results over it.
Remedy – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) acts as a natural cleanser and detoxifier that removes waste and eases the functioning of your kidneys. It restores acid – alkaline balance in the body and also has malic acid that breaks down and eliminates uric acid.
- Add 1 teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar and a little of honey in 1 glass of water.
- Stir well and drink this liquid for 2 – 3 times daily.
- But be sure that not to take this ACV in excess, as it reduces the potassium levels in the body and also might interfere with some diuretic drugs.
Remedy – 2: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon juice produces an alkaline effect and thus neutralizes your pH balance to get control over uric acid. It has rich content of vitamin C that lowers your uric acid levels and thereby prevents the formation of uric acid stones.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink it in every morning on an empty stomach.
- Continue doing the same for at least few weeks to get rid of the problem.
Note: Or consult your doctor for proper dosage before taking vitamin C supplements.
Remedy – 3: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda balances your acid – alkaline level and thus lowers your uric acid levels to reduce gout. It makes your uric acid more soluble and thereby flush out of the kidneys easily.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water.
- Drink this liquid to get relief from the problem.
- Repeat the intake of this liquid up to 4 glasses with a gap of 2 – 4 hours for 2 weeks will help you to reduce uric acid levels and to remove uric acid crystals.
- Avoid using this remedy if you’re suffering from high blood pressure.
- Also, people whose age is 60 or older should not drink more than 3 glasses of this mix daily, as it raises the sodium content.
Remedy – 4: (Cherries)
Cherries and dark berries contain proanthocyanidins and anthocyanidins or polyphenols which help to lower your uric acid and thus reduce inflammation and stiffness.
- Consume 1/2 cup of cherries daily for few weeks.
- Also, drink 1 – 2 cups of tart cherry juice.
- Regular intake of these cherries for 4 weeks will help you to get rid of the problem.
Note: Or add blueberries, strawberries, bell peppers, tomatoes and other vitamin C and antioxidant-rich fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
Remedy – 5: (Olive Oil)
Extra virgin olive oil has monounsaturated fats that remain stable without turning into rancid fats when processed or heated. It is enriched with antioxidants, vitamin E, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Use cold pressed olive oil instead of butter, vegetable oil or shortening in your cooking.
Remedy – 6: (Wheatgrass Juice)
Wheatgrass restores your alkaline balance in the blood to reduce uric acid. It is rich in vitamin C, phytochemicals and chlorophyll that enhance detoxification. Amino acids and proteins in wheatgrass help to prevent the formation of uric acid stones.
- Mix some fresh lemon juice in 1 ounce of wheatgrass juice.
- Stir well and drink it once daily till you get control over uric acid levels.
Remedy – 7: (Diet Plan)
Diet plays a major role in controlling the uric acid levels and preventing uric acid crystallization. Here are few diet tips you have to follow.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids that dilute uric acid and thus stimulate the kidneys to eliminate excess amounts from the body through urine.
- Consume a low purine diet, as purines are nitrogen-containing compounds that break down as uric acid. So, eliminate animal proteins like fish, organ meat, poultry, yeast, mushrooms, legumes, beans, beer, asparagus, etc.
- Consume foods that are high in fiber foods and starchy carbohydrates like whole grains, pears, apples, oranges, strawberries, rice, tapioca, potato, oats, green papaya, etc. that lower uric acid levels by absorbing it and thus eliminate it from the body.
- Dairy products like low-fat milk or skim milk reduce the re-absorption of uric acid and thus promotes kidney functioning. Consume skim milk, low-fat yogurt, tofu, etc. to reduce your uric acid.
- Avoid consuming foods that are high in fat, as it lowers your body’s ability to prevent uric acid. Also, avoid refined carbohydrates like cakes, white bread, and candies.
- For best results, always consume a healthy balanced diet, which is rich in complex carbohydrates and low in proteins.
- Prepare a juice by mixing 2-inch ginger root, 1 whole grapefruit, 1 large cucumber (pieces) and 1 cup of chopped pineapples. Drink it to remove uric acid.
- Reduce your processed sugars like high fructose corn syrup, saturated fats, and alcohol to get rid of uric acid.
- Pineapple (bromelain), turmeric (curcumin), flaxseeds, parsley, devil’s claw, berries, grapes, etc. has to be included in your daily diet to get rid of pain and stiffness caused due to an increase in uric acid.
Tips and Precautions:
- Quit smoking and limit your alcohol consumptions, as they interfere with the removal of uric acid.
- Obesity or overweight (fatty tissue) is one main reason for the increase in uric acid levels. So, get some regular exercises along with yoga and meditation to maintain a healthy weight.
- Reduce your stress levels as it also triggers your uric acid levels in your body.
- Avoid over sitting or over standing for longer periods of time. Soak your feet in Epsom salt water to relax your strained feet.
- Go for cold or hot compresses, which help to relieve pain, swelling and inflammation on the affected areas.
- Consult your doctor if you face any suspected health problems with the uric acid for proper diagnose and treatment.
Follow these natural remedies and tips to get rid of uric acids and to remove its stones from your body. Do you know any other remedies for removal of uric acid? Then share it with us.