In most Asian Countries, turmeric is not only used as a spice or herb but also used for medicinal purpose due to its therapeutic properties and healing compound called curcumin. Do you know that turmeric is one of the top listed herbs that were most frequently mentioned medicinal herbs in all of the science?
Turmeric comes from the Curcuma Longa plant which grows more in India and the dried root of this plant when ground then it becomes yellow turmeric powder. There are many studies conducted on turmeric and the most interesting finding is that turmeric provides equal benefits when compared to conventional medicine without any side effects.
However the usage of prescription drugs are harmful to the skin but the natural healing compounds like curcuminoids in turmeric is safe and give natural relief from many health, skin and hair problems.
There are many benefits that you can grab by using turmeric in your daily routine like skin lightening, antiplatelets/anticoagulants, anti-inflammatory, antidepressants, pain reducer, arthritis reliever, anticancer, antioxidant, antibacterial, antimicrobial, astringent and antiseptic.
You can use turmeric in many forms like powder, root, capsules, fluid extracts, tincture and tea. Here in this article, we will discuss all about turmeric tea and its health benefits like giving relief from cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, ulcerative colitis, acne, dark circles, wrinkles, etc.
Amazing Benefits of Turmeric Tea & its Recipes:
Have a look at how to prepare a turmeric tea and include it in your daily routine to grab those health and beauty benefits.
Turmeric Tea – Health Benefits:
- Turmeric tea eases the symptoms of arthritis like inflammation and swelling in the joints with its anti-inflammatory property.
- It reduces the synaptic marker loss and accumulation of amyloids, which are linked to Alzheimer’s disease. Turmeric has an antioxidant property that fights against the free radicals to prevent condition leads to Alzheimer’s.
- The National Cancer Institute has recognized the best remedy for treating cancer with its curcumin content that acts as a natural anticarcinogen substance to prevent cancer with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Regular intake of turmeric tea will boost up the immunity system and prevents immune disorders. In a study, it is proved that regular intake of turmeric will increase immune system and provides you with the best immunity.
- In a study, it is found that turmeric helps to treat uveitis, an inflammation of the iris with its curcumin-rich content. It acts as an effective treatment just like corticosteroids without any side effects.
- It lowers the LDL (bad) cholesterol and thereby reduces the risk of developing some serious health problems like heart stroke or diseases. So, include turmeric in your daily diet that has curcumin content at a lower dosage to reduce LDL and thereby total cholesterol levels.
- Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a chronic digestive disorder that results in the ulcers in the lower part of the gastrointestinal tract. Regular usage of turmeric will help to maintain remission from symptoms and also helps to treat ulcerative colitis.
- It is effective at reducing the cardiovascular complications like heart strokes or heart attacks with its curcumin compound and antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It reduces the pain associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and thereby improves the quality of life of those people suffering from digestive conditions.
- It also used to manage diabetes and other lung conditions like asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pulmonary and cystic fibrosis, etc.
Now let’s go into the turmeric tea recipes…
Recipes of Turmeric Tea:
Although there are several ways of preparing turmeric tea, here are some of the best and most effective ways of preparing turmeric tea recipes.
Method – 1: (Basic Recipe)
- Pour 4 cups of water in a pot and place it on the heat.
- Bring it to a boil and then add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to it.
- Stir and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for at least 10 minutes and strain the tea using a fine sieve.
- Now add fresh lemon juice (or honey or milk or orange juice) for taste.
- Drink this turmeric tea regularly to get many health benefits.
Note: For best results, add a pinch of black pepper to increase the absorption of turmeric.
Method – 2: (Creamy Turmeric Tea)
The last one is a basic variation and now we are adding some tasty variation to that basic turmeric tea recipe.
- Warm 1 cup of almond milk (or coconut milk) gently for few minutes.
- Then mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1/2 inch finely chopped ginger root, a pinch of cayenne pepper and 1 – ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder (or any natural sweetener) in a mug.
- Now pour some of the warmed milk into this mug and stir well till all lumps are removed completely.
- After that, mix the rest of milk and stir well.
- Strain the milk and drink this tasty creamy turmeric tea to soothe a sore throat, runny nose or to relieve your stress or strain.
- Regular intake of this turmeric tea will give relief from these health problems.
Method – 3: (Turmeric Tea with Honey and Ghee)
This is an amazing turmeric tea recipe that has rich content of creamy and lightly sweet beverage that helps to heal many inflammatory health and skin disorders.
- Pour 1 cup each of water and coconut milk in a pan.
- Warm it for a couple of minutes and then add 1 tablespoon each of clarified butter (ghee) and honey to it.
- Stir well and mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric (grated or ground) to this pan.
- Simmer for 2 – 4 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Stir and drink this tea to grab all these health benefits.
Method – 4: (Turmeric Ginger Tea)
Turmeric ginger tea can be prepared at home with simple ingredients like turmeric, fresh ginger, honey, lemon and black pepper.
Here piperine in black pepper helps to increase the bioavailability of turmeric and lemon & honey enhance its flavor and taste. So, this turmeric ginger tea is a healthy beverage that you can have it regularly.
- Bring 1 cup of water in a saucepan or pot to a boil.
- Then add 1 teaspoon each of freshly grated turmeric and ginger to this water.
- Simmer and let it steep for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add 1 teaspoon each of black pepper powder, fresh lemon juice, and honey.
- Stir and enjoy this healthy beverage regularly.
Note: Also, pour 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and fresh ginger, a pinch of clove and nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 – 2 cups of water. Boil it for 10 minutes and strain the tea to add milk and honey. Enjoy this healthy and tasty beverage.
Method – 5: (Turmeric Tonic)
The additional of few herbs along with high amounts of healthy fat will make this turmeric recipe as a tonic to treat many health problems.
- Pour 1/2 teaspoon each of cardamom seeds and whole cloves, a pinch of cayenne and black pepper, 1 teaspoon of dried turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon each of goji berries, ghee (or coconut oil) and raw honey in a blender filled with 1 ½ cups of hot water.
- Blend all these ingredients at high speed for few minutes until it blends smooth.
- Then pour this mix into a mug using a fine mesh sieve and pour this tonic in a glass and have it.
- Regular intake will help you to get rid of cold, flu, cough, intestinal problems, and other health issues.
Note: Or simply pour water, cardamom seeds, cayenne, clove and goji berries in a pot and simmer for about 20 minutes. Strain and let it cool for another few minutes. Blend with hemp seeds, honey, and ghee. Place it on the stove and simmer for 5 minutes to get the desired tonic consistency.
Dosage of Turmeric Tea:
We all know that anything in excess is not good for health or any other thing, the same comes to turmeric also. So, drink 1 – 2 cups of this turmeric tea each day to grab these health benefits. If consumed in excess amounts then it causes certain side effects like stomach bloating, upset or cramping.
Tips and Precautions:
- For best results, always grate a fresh turmeric root each time when you brew the tea to get a richer flavor and grab best benefits.
- Also, use different ingredients as per your specific preferences but not only stuck to one way of preparing tea.
- There are many brands of turmeric tea bags available in the market and choose the best organic one to those who don’t have time to brew turmeric tea.
- Always remember that the best flavor comes from brewing a cup of turmeric tea by using fresh ingredients.
- Turmeric, when taken in limited quantity, is very safe and effective health remedy but never ever exceed the limited quantity why because it may have some side effects if taken in excess for a longer time.
- People suffering from gallbladder diseases or stones, kidney stones, stomach ulcers, diabetics, obstruction of bile passage, etc. should consult their doctor before using turmeric for a longer run. The reason behind is that turmeric could exacerbate those conditions by raising the uric acid levels in the blood.
- People who are taking medications for blood thinner, diabetes, high blood pressure or stomach acid reducers should avoid taking this drug why because turmeric will interact with certain medications
- Pregnant or nursing women and children below 6 years should be advised to control their turmeric consumption, as it stimulates the uterus in pregnant women.
- Always be cautious while using honey, sugar or sweeteners, as they may damage your health and degrade the turmeric benefits.
- Turmeric may thin the blood. So, people should stop drinking turmeric tea or any other turmeric intakes for at least 2 weeks before surgery.
- People who are allergic to turmeric should avoid using it or else they may suffer from allergic reactions like skin irritation, swelling of the tongue, dizziness, headache, nausea, throat pain, etc.
- In general, turmeric tea is considered as a safe remedy for most of the people who drink it to relieve their pain and swelling without any side effects. People who are on OTC medications like NSAIDs can result in certain side effects like internal bleeding, reduction in white blood cell count, ulcers, etc.
Turmeric tea is one of the best ways to include turmeric in your daily diet. Do you know any other best turmeric tea recipes? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.
1. Is it good to prepare turmeric tea in advance and store it in the refrigerator?
However, it is not suggested but you can prepare this turmeric tea in advance and store it for 2 – 3 days (not more than that). Also make sure that while reheating the tea (required daily quantity only), do it on low heat on your stovetop.
2. Will this turmeric tea turn my kitchen appliances yellow? Then what to do?
As everyone gets this question in their mind, remember that turmeric stains are not permanent and make them yellow in color permanently. After some time or some washes, the turmeric stains will fade away. So, don’t worry about it and prepare turmeric tea and enjoy it.
3. I’ve heard that people drinking too much of turmeric tea will turn their skin yellow. Is it true?
Turmeric will turn your skin yellow only when you apply it on the skin but not by drinking it. People in Asian countries are using turmeric as a part of the food, skincare regimen, medicine but they didn’t turn their skin as yellow. It helps to enhance your natural beauty by lightening your skin.
4. Is milk a compulsory ingredient? Then how much I have to use milk while preparing turmeric tea?
Milk is an optional ingredient that adds a creamy texture to balance your flavor. The fat content in the milk will help to increase the absorption of fat-soluble constituents. You can add 1/4 cup of the milk while preparing this turmeric tea to enhance your taste.
5. Can I grab the same results by placing the ingredients in an empty tea bag instead of simmering in water and straining it?
No, not that much. You have to simmer all the ingredients either in a pot or large tea bag or small cheesecloth sack for few minutes to get out all the medicinal constituents in the water rather than steeping simply in water (like a green tea).
6. What kind of turmeric is best for turmeric tea and is it a good idea to make tea with fresh turmeric?
Always use organic, non – irradiated spices by choosing the best products that come from organic brands. Yes, of course, you can use fresh turmeric by grating or chopping to prepare this turmeric tea.
7. Why should we add black pepper to my turmeric tea?
Piperine is an active ingredient in black pepper that makes the curcumin content in turmeric to get properly absorbed by the body and thereby makes it work very effectively. So, this combination is very effective to grab benefits obtained from both turmeric and pepper.