Turmeric is a golden yellow spice that widely used in most of the Asian countries not only to add flavor to the dishes but also helps to treat many skin or health problems as an Ayurvedic medicine. It belongs to a ginger family that exhibits various skin, hair and health benefits with its antioxidant, antibiotic, antimicrobial, anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
Turmeric milk (or golden milk) is an excellent option to include turmeric in your daily diet which is prepared by an infusion of either fresh turmeric root or the dry turmeric powder in warm milk. Do you know that most of the Indians use this turmeric as a tonic for treating several health problems and also for general health?
Turmeric milk is an easy to prepare process and a tasty beverage that makes you energized and protects you from harmful microorganisms and dangerous environmental toxins. Want to know more about its health benefits in detail then go through this article.
Benefits of Turmeric Milk:
Turmeric is a spice/herb is used as a health tonic (with little bitter taste) while suffering from sickness or anxiety or tiredness to get rid of the problem. We all know that milk has a rich source of calcium and the inclusion of these two natural ingredients in your diet will definitely help you to grab many health and beauty benefits.
Let’s get started…
1. Respiratory Illness:
Turmeric milk exhibits antibiotic and antimicrobial properties that fight many microbes causing bacterial or viral infection in the body. It effectively clears the illness related to the respiratory system. It heats up the body and clears mucus causing congestion and sinusitis and thereby clears the nasal passage and cures asthma and bronchitis.
The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of raw turmeric will help to prevent cancer cells from damaging the DNA and thereby prevent the growth of skin, lung, breast, colon and prostate cancers. It is also effective in reducing the side effects of chemotherapy. So, drink turmeric milk for once daily to strengthen your immune system, prevent malignant growths and stop their growth to get relief from cancer.
The curcumin in turmeric milk exhibits the anti-inflammatory property that helps to inhibit the action of inflammatory enzymes (COX & LOX). It is proved in many clinical trials that turmeric acts as an anti-arthritic agent. Turmeric treats rheumatoid arthritis and increases the flexibility of your joints and muscles.
The antioxidant property of turmeric will effectively reduce the oxidative stress, pain and prevents arthritis from getting severe. The usage of turmeric will also combat the infection in arthritis that caused due to Candida and Aspergillus micro-organisms. It prevents auto-immune disorders by restricting the immune T cells and thereby reduces the swelling from spreading by acting as a natural aspirin.
4. For Cough and Cold:
Most people experience an effective relief from cold and cough after drinking this turmeric milk. It has antibacterial and antiviral properties that give you quick relief from the bacterial or viral action on the respiratory system.
The warm milk will increase the mucus production, loosen up the mucous by flushing out the microbes and gives relief from cold and the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric will soothe the irritated throat. So, to beat this stubborn cold and cough, drink turmeric milk once daily, preferably at night before bedtime.
5. Builds Immunity:
This tonic will help to improve your general immunity to treat a host of diseases, especially in cold or flu seasons, with its antiviral property. If you’re one among those people who are more prone to get these infectious diseases then try to make a simple habit of drinking 1 cup of turmeric milk in the morning on an empty stomach (or) at night before bedtime.
We all know that children or people using public transport or swimmers are more prone to get these infections. So, have a glass of turmeric milk regularly to promote their health.
6. Clears Digestive Problems:
This culinary spice is very effective in tackling most of the digestive disorders. It helps to improve digestion, relieves bloating and gas and prevents heartburn attacks that result from gastric reflux. The intake of turmeric milk will increase the flow of bile and treats your indigestion and loss of appetite when taken this milk once daily.
It removes worms and treats gastrointestinal infections and relieves intestinal parasites, especially in children. So, turmeric milk comes to the rescue in treating your digestive problems.
7. Acts as a Liver Tonic:
Many studies have stated that curcumin in turmeric will help to prevent and reverse the liver disorders like fatty liver or liver cirrhosis. We all know that liver works constantly in processing the chemical substances (chemical additives in foods, environmental pollutants, drugs for any health problems, etc.) which enters into the body.
The detoxifying action and hepatoprotective of turmeric will help to reduce the injuries to liver tissues and also increases the production of bile to remove these biliary obstructions.
8. Blood Purifier:
In general, our body deals with many harmful toxins which may enter into the blood through food, drinks or respiratory tract. They may damage the blood vessels and thereby the tissues where this contaminated blood reach.
Do you know that the toxins in the blood are the major underlying causes for many abnormal skin problems and other disorders? The intake of turmeric milk will help to remove the impurities and toxins effectively from the blood by enhancing the liver functionality. So, drink turmeric milk to flush out toxins through urine with its diuretic effects.
9. Provide Clear Skin:
Most of the Asian women will include turmeric in their skincare regimen to enhance their beauty and to reduce their spots and scars on the skin. So, use turmeric as an external beauty aid that effectively removes fine lines and other premature aging signs, lightens scars, clears acne and finally makes your skin smooth.
Internal usage will make your skin clear from rosacea, dark spots and other skin eruptions. It also detoxifies your skin and soothes it from eczema flare-ups and its symptoms.
10. Relieves Autoimmune Diseases:
Autoimmune diseases result from the faulty action of our immune system, which protects us from the external foreign agents such as toxic substances and pathogenic microbes but for some unexplained reasons, our immune system will turn to attack own tissues and organs.
Some autoimmune disorders include lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, scleroderma, etc. However, there is not perfect medicine to cure these disorders why because the exact cause is not identified. Some people rely on herbal treatment to get relief from their problems and turmeric scores high in this regard. So, drink turmeric milk to prevent autoimmune disorders and to stimulate proper functioning of immune system.
11. Best Remedy for Headache:
Turmeric increases the flow of mucus and also lightens its texture to promote sinus drainage. Turmeric milk exhibits blood thinning effect that effectively treats headaches that are caused due to stress or sinus congestion, as it improves the blood circulation and thereby heals your problem.
12. Reproductive Health of Women:
The mild phytoestrogen property of turmeric will helps to promote the reproductive system of women and thereby increases their fertility to make them overcome the trouble of conceiving due to their hormonal imbalances. So, women suffering from painful periods will find relief after drinking turmeric milk during the week of their period time.
The pain associated with periods and postmenopausal symptoms will be reduced by the usage of turmeric or drinking turmeric milk why because it stimulates the uterine to promote the free flow of menstrual discharge. But be sure to consult your doctor before taking turmeric when you’re pregnant.
13. Aids in Sound Sleep:
Drinking warm turmeric milk at night before bedtime will help you to get rid of sleeplessness or insomnia by increasing the serotonin levels in the brain. This neurotransmitter aids in a calming mood, relaxation, and sleepiness.
The combination of turmeric and milk will elevate the insulin levels in the blood, which in turn raises the intake of competing amino acids into body tissues. Drinking this turmeric milk will increase the production of serotonin that makes you induce sleep to get rid of insomnia.
14. Prevents Premature Aging:
The antioxidant-rich content of turmeric will fight against the free radicals and tighten your skin by enhancing the collagen production and skin’s elasticity. It also induces sound sleep which in turn helps you in preventing the premature aging signs like wrinkles, crow’s feet, fine lines, etc.
15. Bone Health:
Both turmeric and milk have a rich source of calcium that helps to keep your bones healthy and strong. Regular intake will definitely help you in lowering the bone loss and thereby osteoporosis. It also relieves your joint pains.
How to Prepare Turmeric Milk:
In general, we prepare turmeric milk with full-fat milk for proper absorption of turmeric constituents but you can use skimmed milk. For children, sweeten the milk with sugar and for adults, spice it with a pinch of crushed black pepper why because the piperine in this pepper will increase the bioavailability of curcumin.
Recipe – 1: (Turmeric Milk with Turmeric Powder)
- Pour 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water in a pan placed over low heat.
- Stir well by adding 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in it.
- Bring this mix to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes till the quantity of milk reduced to 1 cup.
- Now turn off the heat and crush 2 – 3 black peppercorns to add it in warm milk.
- Stir and drink this hot or warm milk regularly for best results.
Recipe – 2: (Turmeric Milk with Fresh Turmeric Root)
- First of all, take 1-inch piece of fresh turmeric and crush or grate it properly.
- Now add this turmeric root, 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water in a small pot.
- Place it on the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Add 2 – 3 crushed black peppercorns in this mix and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Strain this milk and drink it warm to get rid of many health problems and to grab many health benefits for a healthy living.
Recipe – 3: (Quick Fix)
This recipe is for those who’ve hard pressed for time and has to follow this recipe on some occasions.
- Put 1 teaspoon of butter (or coconut oil) in a small pan and mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder to it.
- Stir well by placing it over the low heat until the fat melts completely.
- Remove it from heat and mix it in 1 cup of warm milk.
- Drink it to get complete relief from these health issues.
Recipe – 4: (Basic Recipe)
- Mix 1/2 – 1 inch piece of turmeric in 8 ounces of milk.
- Boil it for few minutes and strain this milk.
- Drink the turmeric milk after cooling it for few minutes.
- This recipe will help to soothe the inflammation, diarrhea, fights free radicals and strengthens your bones if you drink it regularly.
Recipe – 5: (Turmeric Milk for Sore Throats and Cough)
This turmeric milk recipe will soothe your aching throat, fever, and cough and thereby makes you sleep well in night to improve the symptoms by morning.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of minced ginger in 1/4 cup of water.
- Stir well and pour 1 cup of milk over it and place it on the stove or microwave.
- Let it heat for few minutes till the milk boils for few minutes.
- Then add honey or sugar or any sweetener and stir well.
- Heat it for another few minutes and strain the mix to drink it hot.
- Regular intake will help you a lot in getting rid of cold, cough and sore throats.
Note: Or as per your taste, you can add few crushed black peppercorns or cardamom pods or pinch of saffron to this turmeric milk.
Recipe – 6: (Turmeric Golden Milk)
Here we have to prepare a turmeric paste with good quality organic turmeric powder and you can store this paste for a month in the refrigerator.
- Mix 1/4 cup of turmeric powder in 1/2 cup of water till it forms a fine paste.
- Place this mix over a medium flame for a minimum of 7 minutes until it forms a thick paste.
- If this mix gets too dry then add a little more water to this mix and let it cool down for few minutes.
- Then place this turmeric paste in a glass container and refrigerate it.
- Now to prepare this turmeric milk, you have to take 1 teaspoon of turmeric paste and mix it in 1 cup of pure milk (either soy milk or cow or coconut or goat or almond milk).
- Let it boil for few minutes and stir by adding some maple syrup or honey.
- Regular intake will help you in grabbing all these health benefits and makes you strong and healthy.
Read More on How to Identify Organic Turmeric for Best Results
- The anti-inflammatory property of turmeric may contribute to stomach ulcers and causes uterine wall contractions. So, pregnant women should avoid the usage of turmeric unless and until it is advised by their doctors.
- It acts as a blood thinner, so people who are planning for surgery should not take turmeric in any form (food or drink or supplements) before a couple of weeks for surgery.
- Remember that turmeric may react with diabetic medications and certain medications used to treat stomach acid. It interacts with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). So, consult your doctor before the intake of turmeric milk.
- Some people may find allergic reactions like mild and itchy rashes after drinking turmeric milk. So, check it before consuming turmeric. Also, if you’re lactose intolerance then choose almond milk or coconut milk instead of normal milk.
- Anything in excess is not good for health and it comes true in this case of turmeric milk. So, avoid the overdose, as it results in diarrhea, liver disorders, heartburn, nausea, indigestion, gallbladder contractions, alopecia, internal bleeding, low blood pressure, disturbance in menstrual cycles, etc.
These are some of the benefits of turmeric milk. Do you know any other benefits of drinking turmeric milk? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.