A cough might be a symptom of bronchial irritation that caused due to environmental irritants or respiratory illness or stress, etc. So, it is not a serious health problem but can be a symptom to any out coming health problems.
It causes itchy throat, congestion, headache, sore throat, mild fever and chest pain which will irritate you and makes you unable to concentrate on your work. However the usage of medicated cough syrups will just heal pain in the throat and make you sleepy but using natural remedies will help to cure this problem, from root cause and relieves you from coughs and its symptoms.
Turmeric is an Ayurvedic spice that widely used to treat many health and skin problems that include coughs. Here are the properties of turmeric that used to treat coughs.
- It has an active ingredient called curcumin has anti-inflammatory property that heals the soreness in the throat and chest. But be sure to mix black pepper in turmeric to enhance the bioavailability of curcumin by thousand times.
- It has antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties that fight against coughs causing microbes.
- It is very effective in treating cough and chest congestion, especially it caused by a viral infection or general lung inflammation.
- It has volatile oil that helps to relieve coughs by getting rid of the phlegm.
Here you’re going to learn how to stop coughing with the help of turmeric. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Turmeric Milk)
This process is an age old remedy used to treat coughs. Turmeric fights against the irritants causing cough and milk soothe the throat and provides instant energy to prevent depletes after constant coughing.
Steps to be followed…
- Pour 2 cups of fresh whole milk, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 2 – 3 crushed black peppercorns, 1/2 inch of roughly chopped ginger and 2 – 3 whole cardamom pods in a small saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil for few minutes and strain it into a glass.
- Then add some honey in this milk and stir well.
- Drink this turmeric milk to get rid of the coughs and for more effective results, drink it twice a day once in the morning and once at night before bed time.
- Or simply mix 1/2 teaspoon of organic turmeric powder in 1 glass of hot milk. Stir well by adding some honey and drink this warm milk to get relief from coughs.
- Use any milk like cow milk, skim milk, goat milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc. Or else use water instead of milk and drink it to get rid of coughs.
Method – 2: (Turmeric with Ginger and Honey Cough Syrup)
Both turmeric and ginger have antibacterial and antiviral properties that fight against the infections causing microbes in the respiratory system and honey soothes the irritated throat. This combinational process is very effective in treating cough.
Steps to be followed….
- Add 2 – 4 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger, 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, 2 pinches of ground black pepper, freshly grated zest of 1 organic lemon and 1/2 cup of honey in a bowl.
- Stir well and store this mix in an airtight glass container.
- Then boil 1 cup of water in a pan and let it cool slightly.
- Stir few teaspoons of this cough syrup in water and drink it.
- Regular intake of the cough syrup will help you to get rid of coughs.
- You can also add this mix to your favorite brewed tea and have it.
- Or mix 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder in 1 teaspoon organic honey and consume it for 3 times a day for getting effective relief from dry coughs.
- Alternatively, prepare turmeric tea by mixing 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder in 4 cups of boiling water. Steep it for few minutes and strain the tea. Mix some honey and fresh lemon juice and drink this tea to surely experience relief from coughs.
- Or simply heat 1/2 cup of water in a pot and add 1 teaspoon each of turmeric powder and black pepper powder in it. Stir it by adding small cinnamon sticks and let it boil for 2 – 4 minutes and strain it. Add 1 tablespoon of honey in it, drink this concoction daily until your condition improves.
Method – 3: (Turmeric Gargle)
Gargling with turmeric will help to remove irritants in the throat and also thins the mucus to prevent coughing. Salt used in this process helps to draw the excess fluids from the inflamed throat.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of hot water.
- Stir it well and use this mix to gargle for few minutes.
- Make sure to spit out this mix after gargle.
- Repeat it as needed for cough relief.
Method – 4: (Turmeric Smoke)
According to Ayurveda, Inhaling the smoke that comes from burning turmeric can also help as a cough suppressant. Here burnt turmeric acts as a strong expectorant.
Steps to be followed…
- Place some red hot charcoal pieces in a small mud pot and keep it in a cup of water.
- Then add few leaves of turmeric and 1 tablespoon of organic turmeric powder over leaves.
- Now gently blow in the mud pot to ignite the turmeric powder and start inhaling the smoke emitted to get rid of coughs.
- Do this regularly till you cleared a cough and its symptoms.
- Or simply burn the dried turmeric root and inhale the smoke to get quick relief from coughs.
- Also, mix 2 – 3 teaspoons of turmeric in hot water and inhale the vapors (as steam) of this turmeric infused water.
- Or else, roast a turmeric root and grind it to a smooth powder. Mix 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric powder in water and honey. Stir well and drink it twice a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- For treating persistent or chronic coughs, roll a small piece of turmeric root or turmeric powder in a betel leaf and chew it thoroughly to get relief.
- Keep a small piece of turmeric in your mouth at night time and chew it to cure chronic and dry coughs.
- It might harm to people who are taking medicines for blood thinners, gall bladders, diabetes or other medicine to reduce stomach acid if taken in large amounts. Also, avoid using turmeric supplements as it might cause potentially harmful interactions with some medications.
- Some research warns that in certain cases, few people are getting an allergic reaction that includes skin contact dermatitis by using turmeric. So, people those get allergies to plants in ginger family has to avoid using turmeric.
- Avoid using turmeric, if you’re suffering from hives, rashes and some signs of swelling on lips, throat or tongue while using turmeric for cough treatment and consult your doctor.
- Be sure to use 100% pure and organic turmeric powder rather than normal curry powders for treating any health or skin problems, including a cough.
- Turmeric may interfere with some anti-tumor chemotherapy medications. So, anyone who is undergoing chemotherapy is strictly advised to avoid the usage of turmeric or its supplements.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from a cough after a week of using turmeric or suffering from productive coughs or having a high fever and other symptoms, to get proper diagnose and treatment as per your health condition.
Hope you find these methods and tips helpful for curing your cough. Do you know any other turmeric methods for coughs or have any queries? Then share it with us.
Leave a Reply