Topiramate (or Topamax) is generally an anticonvulsant medicine that widely used to treat epileptic seizures, migraine headache, anxiety, bipolar disorders, borderline personality disorder and nerve pain.
But with some researches and studies, it is proved that this Topiramate helps to lose your weight and make you stay fit and slim. However, we are unknown of the mechanism of action which produces therapeutic effects like some says it alters voltage – gated sodium channels and various calcium channels in the brain and others say that it affects GABA receptors, carbonic anhydrase isoenzymes, and AMPA receptors.
Topiramate & Weight Loss:
Regardless of how this drug works, it is a well known off-label pill used to lose weight. Remember that not everyone who takes topamax will lose their weight but most people observe a significant reduction in their weight throughout their treatment. There is a lot of difference in diet, genetics, habits, exercise, and usage of other medications which have a huge impact on someone’s weight.
The most important to mention here is that it is not approved as a stand-alone drug for weight loss but it is included in the formulation of an FDA approved weight loss medicine called Qsymia.
How Does Topiramate cause Weight Loss?
Although there is confusion on the mechanism behind how this topamax works on weight loss why because the clinical trials also discontinued as a result of people experiencing some adverse side effects, even though it should some significant weight loss in the people using topamax rather than placebo.
Here we are providing you some list of factors that let you know how topamax works for promoting weight loss.
Appetite Suppressant – People will experience the appetite suppression or reduction as a side effect while taking this medicine. There is no exact reason on how this drug suppresses your appetite but most people believe that it ties into the reward center of the brain and thereby alter or numb the way rewards are processed. All this process will result in people experiencing less hungry or craving for food.
Addiction Controller – Topiramate targets the addiction centers of the brain by changing the neural pathways that work within the addiction control centers of the brain and also reduces the overexcited nerves within the region. So, people having pressure inducing substances will no longer do so and thereby stay healthy.
Hormone Alterations – The intake of Topiramate may alter the levels of hormones (like leptin & cortisol). This medicine reduces the leptin amount found in cortisol and cortisol itself as well. Leptin deals with appetite and when it reduced then automatically people tend to feel less hungry. Cortisol is a stress hormone that makes the body store less fat which in turn results in weight loss.
Disorientation – It is a side effect experienced while using this topamax, as this drug has potent effects on the memory and thereby result in dizziness. So, people feel disoriented as a result of this treatment may or may not eat food.
Ketosis – People using this drug experience fluctuation in the blood glucose and insulin levels, which in turn leads to ketosis. Ketosis is a state where the body uses its own fat as the fuel or energy and thus results in the significant reduction of weight. So, use Topamax to induce the ketosis artificially and reduce weight.
Metabolism Enhancer – A simple logic is that people maintaining the same diet (or physical activities) without anything noticeably and losing weight effectively, means it can be due to a faster metabolism.
Lessen Saliva Production – Topamax has the ability to reduce the production of saliva and thereby it results in the poorer taste. With reduced saliva, people will definitely lose their normal appetite, as they make you feel full for a longer time and therefore results in losing your excess weight or obesity.
No Proper Taste Sensation – Most people observe that they lost the taste buds and the food may not taste pleasurable or yummy. So, people definitely consume less food and tend to lose their weight.
People who should (OR) should not take this Topamax medicine?
In general, there are some specifications people have to follow while using this Topiramate medicine.
People Should Use – Those who have BMI greater than 27 or suffering from cardiac risk factors (like diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol) should take this drug as a part of their weight loss program. For best results, it has to be taken with a nutritious diet, healthy behavior modification, and regular exercise. Consult your doctor before using any medication for weight loss.
People should not Use – Those who are suffering from pre – existing heart disorders or kidney stones or fluctuations in blood pressure levels, liver problems, osteoporosis, mood disorders, etc. should not use this medication. Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant should consult their doctor before using these medications.
How to use Topiramate for Weight Loss:
The best way to consume this Topamax is either in sprinkle capsule (which can be used to sprinkle on food) or tablets that can be taken with or without food for twice daily. But make sure to follow the directions that are prescribed on the label either by asking your doctor or pharmacist to get detailed information.
Method: (Topiramate Capsule)
This is the best method that widely used to reduce your excess weight.
- Take 1 teaspoonful of any soft foods such as yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, ice-cream, custard or pudding.
- Then twist off the capsule and pour this mix on your food.
- Stir and swallow this food without chewing and be sure to drink water after swallowing.
- Repeat this process daily until you get complete relief from the overweight or obesity.
The dosage of Topamax for Weight Loss:
The minimum dosage of Topiramate is 25 mg and can be increased until you reached a sufficient dose. When you have achieved the desired weight loss then your doctor will decide whether or not to increase the topiramate dosage. The maximum dosage will be 800 mg that taken into two doses.
Remember that the dosage of this drug will depend on each individual, as per their health condition. This drug is in a circular form that is imprinted with OMN on one side and the size (mg) on the other side. You can find 25 mg of topiramate in a cream color, 50 mg in beige, 100 mg in yellow and 200 mg in pink color.
How to consume this Topiramate 25 & 50 mg’s for Weight Loss:
Have a look at how to take this topamax medicine for achieving your desired weight loss. But the main thing you should remember is the dosage, time span, lifestyle habits, intake of other medications and genetics will play a major role other than taking this drug for weight loss.
Topiramate 25 mg for Weight Loss:
Topiramate 25 mg is generally used to control seizures and epilepsy. The dosage is to take 1 tablet in the morning and one at night before bedtime. Continue taking this 25 mg as long as your doctor recommends but make sure that not to stop using it without prior advice from your doctor. Also, store this tablet in a cool & dry place at room temperature below 25˚ C.
Topiramate 50 mg for Weight Loss:
It treats a migraine and bipolar disorders along with reducing your weight. Consume this tablet for twice daily – once in the morning and once in the evening. Continue the intake of this tablet until and unless your doctor advised you to stop. Remember if you forget to take that tablet then skip the missed dosage (leave that dosage). Keep it in a cool, dry and sage place at a room temperature below 25˚C.
Side effects of using Topamax for Weight Loss:
- Topamax will make the food tasting bland and during this treatment, you may experience loss of your taste buds and consuming flavorless foods.
- Almost all the people using this Topiramate may experience some side effects, which also results in losing your weight. Certain adverse side effects like memory problems, nausea, diarrhea, insomnia, dizziness, anxiety, stress, fatigue, taste distortion, upset stomach, tingling sensations, menstrual problems, burning sensation around the mouth, etc.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water and other non – calorie fluids to cleanse your kidneys, as this medication will raise the susceptibility of developing stones in your kidneys.
- Talk to your doctor if you have experienced any eye related problems before and during the treatment why because the usage of topamax may cause permanent loss of vision if left untreated.
- Stop consuming high fat and carbohydrate diet, as it leads to the formation of excess acid in the blood. Also, avoid the intake of alcohol and sedating drugs why because this Topamax will reduce the effectiveness of certain drugs and supplements.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always remember that what causes weight loss in one person may not be same in another. The reason is different for everyone using this drug like one has reduced appetite and other experience poorer taste and diarrhea.
- You can take this Topiramate (tablet or capsule forms that taste bitter) either with or without food to reduce your overweight and obesity.
- If you’re losing a ridiculous amount of weight while using this medicine then make sure to consult your doctor for proper diagnoses and treatment and to take an alternative medicine like Qsymia.
- It can be a great tool when combined with healthy diet and regular exercise that effectively helps you to lose weight.
- Make sure to report your doctor immediately, if you’re experiencing any side effects for quick and effective relief from the problem.
- Never ever take broken tablets as they may lose their effectiveness and thereby won’t work properly.
- Do some regular exercises, deep breathing exercises, yoga, etc. to get control over your weight.
- Consume healthy and nutritious food along with some lifestyle habits like on-time consuming food, going to bed and having sound sleep, relax your body and mind, etc.
Hope you’ll like this article and give a trial to this topiramate for weight loss. Do you know any other successful ways of using this topamax for weight loss? Then share it with us in the below comments box.