Dark or black discoloration of skin under the eyes is referred as dark circles. Aging, spending more hours in front of computers or television, stress, lack of sufficient sleep, unhealthy diet, certain health problems, etc. will cause these dark circles. Many of us are suffering from this condition which makes us look unhealthy, tired, older and exhausted.
Apply eye creams or concealer will cover the dark circles as temporary solution but the usage of natural remedies which are easily available at home like tomato will give an effective and quick relief from the dark circles.
Tomatoes not only used for cooking purpose but also helps to treat many health and skin problems, including dark circles. You have to go with few tomato properties to know why this tomato is effective in reducing dark circles.
- Natural bleaching property of tomato helps to lighten up the skin and makes it look soft and supple.
- It has an antioxidant compound called lycopene that minimizes the dark pigmentation under the eyes by protecting the skin from damages.
- It has natural moisturizing and regenerating properties that hydrate the skin under the eyes to clear black circles caused due to dry skin.
- It is rich in many essential vitamins and minerals which in turn help for proper blood circulation and promotes cell renewal for reducing dark circles.
Now here we came up with the best methods of using tomato for reducing dark circles. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Tomato with Lemon Juice)
Both these ingredients are rich in skin lightening properties that fade away the dark circles quickly.
Steps to be followed…
- Combine 1 teaspoon each of freshly extracted tomato juice and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the dark circles under the eyes by using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes and rinse it with water.
- Constant follow-up of this process for twice daily till you cleared the dark under eye circles.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin, then add few drops of water or some gram flour in this tomato – lemon mix and apply it on dark circles. This will help to reduce the burning sensation caused due to the acidic properties of lemon and tomato.
- Also, you can simply apply freshly extracted tomato juice / paste on the dark circles under the eyes either with cotton ball or fingers and wash off few minutes.
Method – 2: (Tomato Juice)
Not only topical application but also consuming tomato will help to clear the dark circles from inside and nourish the strained eyes.
Steps to be followed…
- Chop a medium sized tomato into fine piece and few mint leaves.
- Blend it thoroughly and add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt in it.
- Stir it well and drink this immediately after preparing to avail the maximum benefits.
- For quick relief from dark circles, consume this juice daily once in the morning to improve the skin color including around the eyes.
Note: Eating 1 tomato everyday on an empty stomach in the morning will help to lighten up the skin. Also, include tomatoes in your daily diet to prevent its recurrence.
Method – 3: (Tomato with Mint Leaves and Cucumber)
Mint leaves minimize the pigmentation under the eyes and cucumber hydrates the skin to lock the moisture.
Steps to be followed…
- Prepare mint paste with 5 – 7 leaves, some tomato puree and cucumber juice from a small cucumber.
- Then combine mint leaves paste with 100 ml of tomato puree and 30 ml of cucumber juice in a bowl.
- Stir it well to make a paste and apply this paste on clean dark circles affected eye areas.
- Wash it with water after 10 – 15 minutes and dry your eyes.
- Repeat this application regularly for quick relief.
Note: To use the leftover mix, simply dip a cotton pad in this mix and refrigerate them for few hours. Use it as a cold compress on the eyes to prevent dark circles.
Tips and Precautions:
- Simply placing tomato slices on the dark circles and have a gentle massage for 2 – 3 minutes to absorb the juice into the skin. Let it stay for few minutes and wash it with cold water.
- You can also mix other natural ingredients like mint leaves paste, aloe vera juice, potato juice, honey, yogurt, pineapple juice, turmeric, etc. in tomato juice and apply them on under eye dark circles.
- Use fresh tomato paste or juice rather than store brought for grabbing more benefits.
- Never ever let the tomato mix enter into your eyes, if it happens then wash the eyes immediately with water.
- Apart from following these tomato remedies, also have healthy diet, sufficient sleep, proper hydration, take regular intervals while using televisions or computers, exercise regularly, live healthy to prevent it now and in future.
- If you didn’t find any relief from dark circles after a week of using tomatoes, then immediately consult your doctor to know whether it is caused due to any other underlying health issues.
- Discontinue using tomato, if you’re skin stings a lot to prevent further damage.
Don’t get panic after seeing those ugly dark circles, stay strong and follow these tomato methods regularly for diminishing dark circles around eyes. Also, feel free to share your experience of using these tomatoes for dark circles with us.