Whenever there is a change in season, people will suffer from common ailments like cold and cough. In general, cough is a natural response of the body to expel out the unwanted particles from the air passage.
Other than adults, toddlers are at higher risk of catching this cough due to their sensitiveness to changing environmental conditions. The cough is caused by many reasons like weather changes, asthma, GERD, post nasal drip, upper respiratory infection, environmental irritants, pneumonia, croup, cold, etc.
Some common symptoms are breathing problem, difficulty swallowing, chest congestion, frequent coughing, vomiting, runny nose, headache, sneezing, watery eyes, fever, hoarse voice, etc.
The consumer healthcare products association and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend that not to give any over the counter medications for cold and cough to children younger than 4 years, due to some potential risks.
The intake of over the counter medications, you can try some natural remedies to treat your toddler’s cough. But make sure if your kid cough persists for more than a week or having chest pain or blood while coughing or high fever then immediately consult a doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
Home Remedies for Toddler Cough:
Here are the natural ways to treat this cough in your toddlers at home, which are safe and effective remedies.
Remedy – 1: (Warm Tea and Clear Fluids)
Drinking warm tea and clear fluids will help to remove the mucus and thereby cough (both dry and wet cough). Here are some ways which you can feed your kid to get rid of cough.
- Lemon has rich of vitamin C to boost the immunity by raising the count of white blood cells which in turn fights off the virus or any infection causing cough. Mix 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 8 oz of warm water in a bottle. Feed your kid with this water to clear the mucus.
- Ginger thins the mucus secretions by stimulating the production of saliva. Mix small piece of crushed fresh ginger piece in 1 cup of boiling water. Steep for few minutes and strain it. Feed your kid with this warm ginger tea for 2 – 3 times daily.
- The anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties of the licorice will help to soothe a cough and its symptoms. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of licorice root in 1 cup of hot water and steep for 10 minutes. Strain it and drink 1 – 2 cups daily.
- Coughing will dry your throat and make it sore. So, drink plenty of water to hydrate and moisturize your throat. Also, include some healthy fruit juices like orange, apple, etc. to your kid. Feed hot and fresh chicken soup (thin mucus, clear congestion and soothe throat) and 1 – 3 teaspoon of clear liquid for 4 times daily to your baby until you get relief from coughing.
- Also, intake of herbal teas like lemon balm tea, dried hyssop tea or thyme tea will help to clear the mucus, soothes the throat, remove the congestion and relieves you from cough.
- Prepare an herbal mix by stirring 1 tablespoon each of dried thyme leaves, mullein and white horehound and store this mix in a jar. Steep 1 – 2 teaspoons of this mix in 1 cup of boiling water for 8 – 10 minutes. For whooping cough, use 1/2 cup for 25 lbs. children and 1 cup for 50 lbs. toddlers for thrice a day.
Remedy – 2: (Saline Solution)
Congestion is the main reason that results in cough and cold. Saline solution will clear the mucus and thereby nasal congestion to get rid of cold and cough.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of lukewarm water and stir well.
- Pour this mix in a nasal spray and pour 2 – 3 drops into your child’s nostrils (each one).
- Wait for a minute and ask them to blow their nose gently.
- Repeat the process once or twice regularly till you get relief from your toddler cough.
- Avoid using salts that has iodine, color, scent, flavor and added preservatives.
- Or fill the neti pot with warm salt water and tilt the head of the child to one side and pour this mix through 1 nostril. This will flow out from other nostril as a rinsing process. Repeat it for the other nostril.
- Alternatively, ask your kid to gargle with warm saline water for 2 – 3 times daily. Make sure to spit out the gargled water. Do it 2 – 3 times till they get relief from the mucus.
- Also, use a clean bulb syringe to remove the mucus in the toddler’s nose and thereby it relieves your cold and cough.
Remedy – 3: (Eucalyptus Oil Soothing Vapor)
Eucalyptus essential oil has cough suppressant and clears the mucus out of the chest to get rid of the cold and cough. It also helps to treat respiratory problems.
- Stir few drops of eucalyptus oil in any carrier oil.
- Apply this oil on the baby’s chest and back like vapor rub.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it.
Note: Don’t apply eucalyptus oil on the face of the children below 10 years of age.
Remedy – 4: (Honey)
Honey treats cough with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that give soothing relief from cough and sore throat. It also acts as a natural cough suppressant.
- Give 1/2 teaspoon of honey to 2 – 5 years, 1 teaspoon to 6 – 11 years old children and 2 teaspoons of honey to children above 12 years.
- Never ever give honey to babies younger than 1 year, as it may cause infant botulism.
- Repeat the intake of honey daily (especially at night time) till you get rid of the problem.
Note: Or simply mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of buckwheat honey in 1 glass of warm water (or any juice) and feed them to your toddler. Or add few drops of lemon juice and a dash of white pepper to this and drink it.
Remedy – 5: (Steam or Hot Compress)
Steam or hot compress will help to loosen the nasal congestion and clear mucus by providing essential moisture to the air.
- Pour hot water in a bowl and get a towel to cover you and your toddler.
- Then tell them how to inhale the steam slowly and deeply.
- Continue this process till they do it and take a break for a couple of minutes and then do it again.
- Repeat this process regularly till your toddler get relief from the cough.
- Or simply take hot shower and inhale the steam to clear the mucus.
- Also, place a warm compress (a cloth soaked in hot water and squeeze to remove excess water) on the chest, back and forehead to get rid of the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Take enough rest and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and to get relief from cough and its symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Stay away from smoke and other environmental irritants, as they irritated the airways and make it inflamed.
- To prevent dry air, use humidifier in the room to add moisture to the air but make sure to clean it regularly.
- Elevate the head of the baby while sleeping to reduce the cough and breathe properly. Sleeping in an upright position will lessen your cough.
- Doctor prescribed medications or cough syrups or nasal decongestion sprays should only be used for treating your toddlers cough.
- Clear the mucus from your child’s nose by blowing their nose and make them feel comfortable. Also, teach your kid to wash their hands to prevent the transfer of infection, especially before and after eating, after playing, etc. to get rid of the problem.
- Even nighttime coughing can also be cured with the usage of these natural remedies, night time coughing is frustrating and make your toddler difficult to take rest.
Try these natural ways to get relief from your toddler’s cough. Do you know any other successful home remedies for treating your toddler cough? Then share it with us in the below comments box.