Sinus is the small air-filled cavity in the skull that is connected to nasal airways. Its functioning is to produce mucus to keep the nasal passage free from dust, allergens, irritants and other pollutants.
Sinusitis or sinus infection occurs when there is a swelling of sinus that caused due to the blockage of the sinus with some fluids where bacteria grow in it. This inflammatory problem can result in nasal congestion and pain in the respiratory system.
Virus, bacteria, allergies, exposure to pollutants or irritants, OTC nasal sprays, etc. are some causes for the sinus infection. Headache, nasal stuffiness, sore throat, fever, cold, feeling pain or pressure on the face, etc. are some symptoms of sinusitis.
We depend on the use of antibiotics, OTC medications, and nasal decongestants to get rid of this problem. But do you know that sinus infection can be cleared with the usage of natural home remedies?
Yes, tea tree oil is one best among those natural remedies. So, in this article, we will learn all about tea tree oil for treating the sinus infection.
How Tea Tree Oil Treats Sinus Infection?
- Tea tree oil contains terpinen – 4 – ol which exhibits antimicrobial properties that deal with sinus invaders.
- It has excellent antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties that fight against the virus, bacteria or fungus causing sinus infection or respiratory infections.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces pain, swelling, and inflammation of your sinuses.
- It effectively treats cold, sinus pressure, chest congestion, headache and other symptoms of sinusitis.
- It calms down your respiratory problems and makes you breathe normally. It loosens the phlegm in the sinuses and thus helps to drain it out easily.
How is Tea Tree Oil used for Sinus Infection?
The listed below are some of the best ways of using tea tree oil for treating your sinus infection. Follow these remedies regularly without any interruption till you cleared the infection.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil)
Inhaling tea tree essential oil will help to clear the sinus cavity by removing the fluids and thus relieves you from the sinus pressure. Here are few ways of using tea tree oil for sinus infection.
- Pour few drops of tea tree oil on a tissue or handkerchief. Sniff it whenever you’re suffering from nasal congestion.
- Add 5 – 8 drops of tea tree oil in a large bowl of hot water. Lean over that bowl and cover your head and bowl with a towel. Then inhale the steam for few minutes to clear the bacteria or virus causing infection. Be sure to keep tissues on hand, as we sneeze out the mucus.
- Also, add few drops of tea tree oil to your humidifier or vaporizer and run them at night for getting a relaxed sleep.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil with Other Essential Oils)
All essential oils exhibit antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat your sinus infection. To follow this method, you need a diffuser that allows the oils into the air and thus makes your breath comfortably.
- Mix 3 – 5 drops each of lavender oil, tea tree oil and chamomile oil in 1/2 cup of water.
- Pour this mix in the diffuser and turn on the machine to spread this oil mix into the air.
- Now inhale this to clear sinus congestion.
Note: Also, try a combination of tea tree oil, thyme oil and eucalyptus oil (or) a combination of peppermint oil, oregano oil, tea tree oil, basil oil and eucalyptus oil for treating sinusitis.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil Warm Compress)
Applying warm compress on the sinus and respiratory areas will help you to get rid of swelling and pressure.
- Pour 1 – 2 drops of lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, pine oil and peppermint oil in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and soak a clean washcloth in this water.
- Wring it to remove excess water and place it on the face as a compress.
- Wait for few minutes till it cools down.
- Repeat the same process as needed till you get rid of the infection.
- Never ever let this solution enter into your eyes, as it causes irritation and blurredness. Rinse your eyes immediately if it happens, unfortunately.
- Also, try another combination with few drops of tea tree oil, rosemary oil, goldenseal oil and eucalyptus oil in 1 cup of warm water in the same way.
- Or simply take bath by adding 10 – 12 drops each of tea tree oil, lemon oil, and geranium essential oil into the bathtub, filled with warm water. Soak yourself for few minutes and repeat it as needed.
Method – 4: (Tea Tree Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar treats sinus infection with its natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against microbes causing infection and thus clears them by thinning the mucus. This process is used to treat sinus pressure, headache, congestion, and infection.
- Add equal parts of raw apple cider vinegar and warm water in a large bowl.
- Stir well by adding 3 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Then lean over the bowl and inhale the vapors by covering your head till bowl with a towel.
- Continue doing the same process especially at night before bedtime to get relief from the congestion and infection along with breathing comfortably.
Method – 5: (Tea Tree Oil with Carrier Oil)
Tea tree oil is an essential oil and every essential oil should be diluted before usage. So, here we are using carrier oil as a base oil.
- Add few drops of tea tree oil in 1 – 2 teaspoons of any carrier oil (olive or coconut or almond oil).
- Stir well and apply this oil mix on the sinus pressure points like beside each nostril, across the forehead, on the middle part of the nose, at the beginning of each eyebrow, etc.
- Massage gently for few minutes and let it sit for another few minutes by covering the face with a warm compress.
- When the cloth gets cooled, take out the cloth and wipe off the mix with a cloth or tissue.
- Never ever get this mix contact with the eyes. So, apply it utmost care.
- Repeat the process as needed to get relief from the sinus infection.
Note: For treating toddler’s sinus infection, mix 2 – 3 drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of any carrier oil and dab this oil mix on the outside and bottom of the kid’s nostrils using a cotton swab. You can also give them a steam bath session.
Tips and Precautions:
- You should not use tea tree oil or its products for more than a month at a time, as it causes some health problems.
- Avoid internal consumption of tea tree oil, as it is toxic and causes some side effects like upset stomach, vomiting, intestinal problems, etc.
- Always use diluted tea tree oil to prevent the irritation and itching on the skin.
- It’s suggested to do some skin patch test while using tea tree oil first on the skin, as it causes some allergic reactions.
- You can also mix 2 – 3 drops of tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon of Celtic sea salt in 12 oz of water. Stir well and pour it in a saline spray bottle. Use it as your nasal saline spray to cleanse your sinus and clear the congestion.
- Drink plenty of water, consume healthy and nutritional foods (rich in vitamin C) and avoid foods that trigger sinusitis for getting proper relief from the problem.
- Over usage of tea tree oil, will cause irritation in the mucous membranes and respiratory system. So, use only small quantities as mentioned.
- Consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment if your symptoms persist.
Try these natural tea tree oil methods to get rid of the sinus infection and share your queries or experiences with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply