Ear infection occurs most commonly in children rather than adults. Whenever the water gets trapped in the ear canal due to the buildup of wax, then it results in the growth of bacteria and thereby infection.
It is also caused due to an upper respiratory infection, allergy, or fluid buildup in the ear due to internal injuries, etc. This infection can be either viral or bacterial. Earache, fever, headache, fluid leakage, unable to hear properly, difficulty sleeping, pressure changes, etc. are observed as the symptoms of the ear infection.
Treating with conventional antibiotics will give relief but includes some side effects, as it disturbs the whole body functioning by killing good bacteria.
Fortunately, there are some natural remedies for ear infection like garlic or olive oil for treating the infection. In this article, we learn on how to clear ear infection with amazing tea tree oil. Let’s get started.
How Does Tea Tree Oil Treats Ear Infection?
- Tea tree essential oil exhibits natural antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties that kill the bacteria or virus causing infection in the ear.
- It acts as an antiseptic agent that helps a lot in treating wounds or infections.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property that helps to reduce the pain, irritation, and inflammation in the ear.
- It effectively removes dirt, impurities and excess fluids that clog the ear with its drying effect and causing infection.
How to Treat Ear Infection using Tea Tree Oil?
Here are the best and effective ways of using tea tree oil for clearing ear infection. Have a look at these methods and follow them regularly to kick out the infection.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil should not be used directly. It should be diluted with water, carrier oil or any other things before application. Here are few ways of using tea tree oil diluted with warm water.
- Steam is the best process to cover all respiratory parts for treating the infection. Pour 3 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in a bowl of hot water. Cover your head using a towel and inhale the steam for few minutes (Or) add few drops of tea tree oil in your humidifier.
- Stir 3 drops of tea tree oil in 1/4 cup of warm water and pour in a dropper. Lie on your side with infected ear facing upwards and with a towel under your head. Pour 3 – 4 drops of this mix into the ear and turn over after 5 minutes to drain out the fluid and ear infection. Repeat regularly for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Mix 3 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of warm water and use this water to rub all over the ear and all around the ear area gently. Continue this application regularly till you get relief from the infection.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar)
Olive oil has an antimicrobial property that clears the bacteria or virus causing infection and it also removes ear wax that blocking Eustachian tubes. Apple cider vinegar balances the pH level of the ear which in turn makes prevents the growth of microbes.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir well and warm the mix slightly.
- Lie down on your side by placing a towel under the head and facing the infected ear upwards.
- Pour this warm mix into the ear using a dropper and let stay in that position for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Then turn the side with infected ear facing down on the towel to drain out the extra mix.
- Continue the same for 2 – 3 times daily for 2 – 3 days.
- Also, add 1 teaspoon of colloidal silver in this mix before application for best results.
- Or you can simply mix 3 drops of tea tree oil in 1/4 cup of warm olive oil (or any carrier oil or vegetable oil) and pour in the infected ear using a dropper (just like as said above).
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Lavender Oil)
Both tea tree oil and lavender oil are essential oils that exhibit antimicrobial property to fight against the bacteria or virus causing infection.
- Mix 5 drops each of tea tree oil, lavender oil, and juniper oil.
- Pour in a small bottle with a dropper and then pour 2 drops in 1 ear.
- Cover the ear with a cotton ball so that the oil doesn’t drip.
- Wait for 3 minutes and tilt down your head to drain the mix out of the ear.
- Do the same with the other ear and repeat it regularly till you get relief from the ear infection.
Note: Or mix 10 drops each of lavender oil, tea tree oil and chamomile oil (optional) in 1/4 cup of olive oil. Apply this mix all around the infected ear with gentle massage to get rid of ear infection and its discomforts.
Method – 4: (Tea Tree Oil with Neem oil and Sesame Oil)
Neem oil exhibits an antibacterial property that clears the ear infection by preventing the bacteria. Sesame oil is used as a base oil to prevent irritation caused by both tea tree and neem oils.
- Mix 10 drops each of tea tree oil and neem oil in 2 tablespoons of sesame oil (or olive oil).
- Lie down on your side and pour this mix into the ear using a dropper.
- Wait for 2 minutes and turn down to drain out the oil.
- Or use a cotton swab to clear the excess oil and to clean the ear.
- Repeat regularly till you get rid of the ear infection.
Tips and Precautions:
- The natural remedies are effective in treating middle ear infections. But be sure to consult your doctor if you’re suffering from chronic ear infection (or) ear infection with severe pain and fever that lasts for more than 2 days.
- Tea tree oil might cause some allergic reaction. So, it’s best to do some patch test before using tea tree oil for your ear infection.
- Never ever use tea tree oil for internal purpose, as it causes some serious health problems.
- Always prefer to dilute tea tree oil with any carrier oils (like coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil or almond oil) before its application for best results.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children should not use tea tree oil without getting prior advice from their doctor.
- Get plenty of rest and consume a healthy food that boosts your immunity to prevent ear infection and its recurrence.
- Make sure to clean your ears regularly without any water, wax or fluid buildup in the ear to prevent this problem.
Try these natural tea tree oil methods for treating your ear infection. Do you know any other successful methods for curing ear infection? Then share it with us in the below comments box.