Dandruff (or seborrheic dermatitis) is a most common scalp problem that caused due to dry or too oily scalp, growth of bacteria and fungus on the scalp, sensitivity to hair care products, unhygienic hair care, and other scalp problems. It sheds dead skin cells from the scalp and causes itching, irritation, and inflammation.
To cure this problem, you have to balance the moisture levels on the scalp and follow some healthy hair care routine. Using natural oils on the scalp and hair will help to prevent dry scalp and dandruff very effectively.
Tea tree essential oil is one such excellent natural remedy that widely used for treating dandruff. Have a look on its properties to know how it combats dandruff and eases the itching & irritated scalp.
- It contains terpinen – 4 – ol which has antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties that used to kill yeast or fungus causing dandruff on the scalp.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that help you to get relief from irritation and inflammation.
- It acts as a natural conditioner that smoothies the irritated scalp and balances the moisture levels on the scalp.
- It penetrates deeply into the hair follicles to unclog them and to prevent the micro-organisms that trigger dandruff and itchy scalp.
- It has an antioxidant property that controls the over production of dead skin cells (white flakes as dandruff) on the scalp.
- It removes excess oil and other dirt particles to unclog the sebum blocking the hair follicles and thus makes your hair healthy and shiny.
Hope you got an idea on how tea tree oil works for clearing dandruff and other scalp problems. Now, we are going to know how to use it to get rid of dandruff on the scalp. Here are the 3 best tea tree oil methods that provide you with a quick and effective relief against dandruff.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil should not be applied alone without diluting, as it causes some mild side effects like itching, redness or irritation on the applied area.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 10 drops of tea tree oil to 1 oz of your regular shampoo.
- Stir it well and apply this mix on the scalp and hair.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and rinse it off with warm water.
- Regular follow-up of the process will definitely help to prevent dandruff within a short span.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil in 1 cup of warm water and pour this mix it in an empty spray bottle. Use it to spray on the hair and scalp after taking shampoo. Massage it gently and rinse it off with water after few minutes.
- Or simply mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil in 1 cup of warm water. Dip a cotton ball in this mix and dab it on dandruff affected scalp areas thoroughly. Leave it on for few hours to overnight and then rinse it off with anti-dandruff shampoo and warm water.
- Or use tea tree oil based shampoos (with 5% concentrate of tea tree oil), conditioners or oils regularly for treating your dandruff problem.
- For sensitive skin people, use baby shampoo instead of their regular shampoo in the above process. Or prefer using a good quality shampoo like mild shampoo which doesn’t have strong smell.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil with Carrier Oil)
This process is very effective in treating all the scalp problems including dandruff. It moisturizes the scalp and fights against the yeast causing dandruff.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of any carrier oil (like olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, jojoba oil).
- Stir well and apply this mix on the scalp.
- Massage it gently on the scalp for few minutes to make the oil penetrate all over the scalp.
- Leave it on for about 30 – 45 minutes to overnight.
- Wash it off with shampoo followed by water.
- Dry the hair thoroughly and repeat the same till you got complete relief from the dandruff problem.
- Or mix few drops of any essential oil and carrier oil in tea tree oil. Apply this mix on scalp and hair to get rid of dandruff.
- For best results, gently rub the oil mix on the scalp and hair in a dry state that helps to penetrate the oil thoroughly into the scalp and thus eliminates stubborn dandruff from the scalp.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
Both tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar have antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that clear dandruff. Cider vinegar balances the pH levels of the scalp to prevent the recurrence of dandruff.
Steps to be followed…
- Cleanse your hair with shampoo and warm water.
- Then mix 5 – 10 drops of tea tree oil, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water.
- Stir well and use this mix to rinse your hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 3 times a week on regular basis till you got complete relief from dandruff.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid taking hot water bath or too much drying of your hair as it causes dryness and leads to dandruff and flaky scalp.
- Try rinsing your hair regularly on every alternate day to keep the scalp clean and reduce the chances of getting infected with this fungus.
- Prefer massaging and brushing your hair regularly to improve blood circulation and to remove dead skin cells and thereby dandruff.
- Be sure to do some patch test of diluted tea tree oil on the scalp to know whether it is allergic or not and then continue using it for treating your scalp or hair problems.
- Always use 100% pure tea tree oil for treating dandruff and other scalp or health problems. Also, constant application will leave your hair free from dryness, itching and irritation.
- Concentrate more on dandruff affected scalp areas but avoid applying tea tree oil on any broken skin or rashes, as it irritates the scalp and makes the situation worse.
That’s all for now about tea tree oil for dandruff, try these tea tree oil methods to get relief from the dandruff flakes. Let us know which method worked well for you in getting rid of dandruff by sharing your experience with us.
Leave a Reply