You are trying to lift a heavy bag and injure the arm (or) walking down the road and suddenly sprain the ankle (or) whatever the reason is, swelling is quite common in these injuries.
Swelling occurs in any part of the body as an enlargement of organs with fluid due to an illness or injury. It causes severe pain and inflammation at the affected area. It can be dangerous if left untreated.
Mild swelling can be treated at home and make sure to check other symptoms of injury to know whether it is a serious and need to be evaluated by the doctor.
In this article, we are going to learn about some natural home remedies which help to treat mild and moderate swelling and also helps as first aid for severe swelling.
Let’s get started…
Home Remedies for Swelling:
Here are the best natural remedies to be used while suffering from swelling to reduce pain and swelling quickly.
Remedy – 1: (RICE)
RICE refers to Rest Ice Compression Elevation. It is the best way to treat pain and swelling. Let’s know about RICE in detail.
Rest –Rest will help the body to heal swelling. So, rest the injured area for 24 – 72 hours to repair the soft tissue that damaged due to minor injuries. Also, the continual strain will result in pain, inflammation, and delay in the healing process.
Use crutches to remove pressure from the swollen area when suffering from injured foot or ankle. If suffering from an injured arm, use another arm to perform tasks.
Ice or Cold Compress – Applying ice compress in the first 72 hours will help a lot in minimizing the swelling, as it numbs the nerves and thus reduces swelling. Never ever apply ice directly on the skin, as it damages the skin or causes frostbite.
Wrap some ice cubes in a thin towel as a pack. Apply it on the affected area for 10 minutes and leave for 3 minutes and repeat it. Continue this for every 4 – 5 hours and also use a frozen bag of vegetables instead of ice cubes for a cold compress.
Compression – It prevents the accumulation of fluids in the affected areas and provides stability to reduce pain and swelling. Remember that not to wrap the compression too tightly, as it hampers proper blood circulation.
Take an ACE wrap or similar elastic bandage and wrap it around the affected area using an even pressure. Keep it during the day till the swelling reduces and remove the bandage at night before bedtime. Do it regularly till you get rid of pain and swelling.
Elevation – Elevating the affected area will improve proper blood circulation and thereby reduces pain, swelling and inflammation. It also eliminates the waste products and thus speeds up the healing process.
Put extra pillows under the affected areas (hands or legs) to elevate it while sleeping. Use a sling to elevate your arm or leg (or) place few pillows under your arm or hands while sitting on the sofa to elevate it.
Remedy – 2: (Epsom Salt)
The magnesium sulfate in Epsom salt will help to get rid of pain and swelling from the affected area after an injury. It also helps to improve blood circulation and relax your stressed muscles.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a small tub filled with warm water.
- Stir well and soak the affected areas like hands or feet in this water for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat the same process regularly for 3 times a week till you get rid of pain and swelling.
- Or simply soak in Epsom salt bath for 15 minutes, by mixing 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in your bathtub filled with warm water. Do it twice a week regularly.
- Also, for best results, use Epsom salt soak 48 hours after the injury has occurred.
Remedy – 3: (Turmeric)
The curcumin in turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that relieve your pain and swelling.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and leave it to dry for few minutes.
- Wash the applied swollen area with warm water and continue this application 2 – 3 times daily till you’re pain and swelling cleared.
Note: Or mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1 ½ cup of milk and simmer on low flame for few minutes. Mix a little honey and drink it twice daily to get rid of your swelling.
Remedy – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) exhibits alkalizing and anti-inflammatory properties that help you a lot in reducing your pain and inflammation. It is enriched with many essential nutrients and enzymes that help to clear pain and swelling.
- Add equal quantities of raw and unfiltered ACV and water in a pan.
- Stir well and warm the mix for few seconds.
- Then soak a towel in this warm mix and wring it to remove excess water.
- Wrap this moist towel all around the affected area for 5 – 10 minutes.
- After that, take it out and repeat the same for twice daily.
Note: Or drink ACV water prepared by mixing 1 – 2 tablespoons of ACV and a little honey in 1 glass of warm water. Drink twice daily.
Remedy – 5: (Warm Oil Massage)
A gentle massage with warm oil will relax the sore muscles and reduces swelling. It also improves the blood circulation and removes the excess fluids causing swelling. But don’t massage the affected area, if it’s causing pain.
- Slightly warm some natural oil (mustard oil or olive oil or ginger oil with coconut oil) in a microwave.
- Apply this warm oil on the affected area and massage it gently for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Let it sit for few hours and continue this warm oil massage for several times daily.
Remedy – 6: (Arnica)
Arnica essential oil reduces pain, swelling and bruising with its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It also improves blood circulation for getting quick relief from the problem.
- Mix 5 – 6 drops of arnica essential oil in 2 tablespoons of any carrier oil.
- Stir well and apply it on the affected area.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it on for few hours to overnight.
- Regular follow – up of this process for 2 – 3 times daily will help you to get rid of the swelling.
- Or simply apply arnica based ointment or balm topically on the affected areas for few times daily.
- Avoid applying arnica on the broken skin areas.
Tips and Precautions:
- Gingerol in ginger has anti-inflammatory and pain – relieving properties that reduce the pain and swelling along with enhancing proper blood circulation. So, chew few ginger slices or drink ginger tea 2 – 3 times daily.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids to stay hydrated and to get rid of any kind of swelling.
- It’s better to warm up the muscles and stretch it before exercising or playing sports to prevent future injuries to the feet or ankles.
- Applying aloe vera will help to get rid of the swelling. Apply some fresh aloe vera gel to soothe the area and to clear the pain and swelling.
- Always wear practical shoes and also be careful while walking on unstable surfaces and avoid waking with high – heeled shoes.
- If you are having chronic swelling then consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment to get rid of the problem.
- Avoid salt and other inflammatory foods when suffering from swelling, as it may result in water retention and thereby increases swelling.
- Exercise regularly to improve the stability and thereby to reduce the risk of getting swelling and pain. Avoid prolonged sitting or standing in one place, as it increases the pain and swelling.
Try these swelling remedies to get rid of pain, swelling, and inflammation on the affected area of the skin. Do you know any other successful remedies to reduce swelling? Then share it with us in the below comments box.