Burping or belching is a natural way of the body to expel excessive gas (or air) from the stomach. It is accompanied with a typical sound and odor, which is mainly caused due to swallowing excess air while eating that causes poor digestion of the food and thereby results in the overproduction of gas in the digestive tract.
It smells the same as the food which you consumed but in some cases, its smell is unpleasant and resembles the same as a smell of rotten eggs. This makes you feel embarrassing, especially there are some people around you.
Causes of Sulfur Burps:
The main reason for this sulfur burps to happen is due to the high content of sulfur-rich foods (hydrogen sulfide) that range from sugary foods to large meals, which we consume daily.
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria will cause this egg burps
- Certain medications (contain sulfur)
- Health issues (like irritable bowel syndrome, celiac disease, pancreatitis, GERD, etc.)
- Food allergies will cause diarrhea and sulfur burps.
The smell of this chemical substance is similar to that of rotten eggs and pregnant women are more prone to this problem due to their hormonal imbalance.
The one who is suffering from these sulfur smelling burps will experience certain symptoms like severe exhaustion and pain, abdominal cramps, vomiting and nausea, constipation or diarrhea with stomach upset, etc.
However, occasional burping is quite normal and no need to worry about it but persistent burping will be an indication of an underlying digestive disorder such as GERD, gastritis, lactose intolerance, fructose malabsorption, peptic ulcers & celiac disease, which makes you consult your doctor.
There are many natural remedies that reduce the formation of gas and aids in healthy digestion to get rid of the burping.
Home Remedies for Sulfur Burping:
Here are some best and most widely used natural remedies to treat your sulfur burping (rotten egg burps). Along with natural remedies, you have to follow some healthy lifestyle habits to prevent its recurrence.
Remedy – 1: (Fennel Seeds)
The fennel seeds are fully packed with several essential compounds like cineole, limonene, anethole, etc. which exhibits antioxidant, anti-flatulence and carminative properties. It helps to soothe the digestive tract and prevent the digestive problems like bloating, heartburn and indigestion.
Here are few ways of using Fennel Seeds for sulfur burps.
- Take 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds and chew them thoroughly in the morning and evening after meals for better digestion and thereby prevent the formation of gas in the stomach.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of asafetida and raw honey in 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds. Stir well to make a paste and consume this mix for twice daily (especially after taking heavy meals) to clear these discomforts.
- Simply pour 1 teaspoon of freshly crushed fennel seeds in 1 cup of hot water. Cover and let it steep for about 7 – 10 minutes and strain the tea. Drink this warm fennel tea for twice daily to get relief from the burps.
Remedy – 2: (Honey & Lemon)
Honey and lemon, if used separately or combination will give best results in curing the sour sulfur burps. Both of them contains all essential nutrients that are required for proper functioning of your digestive tract and thereby prevents sulfur burps.
Here are few ways of using honey and lemon for treating sulfur burps.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of raw honey and fresh lemon juice in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well and drink this mix in every morning with an empty stomach for the proper functioning of your intestine and prevent these disorders.
- Simply consume 1 tablespoon of raw honey daily to soothe the irritated stomach and to prevent the formation of gas in the stomach.
- Lime or lemon juice will detoxify the body to clear this problem. Drink 1 glass of lemon or lime juice by squeezing the fresh juice in 1 glass of lukewarm water and drink it in every morning on an empty stomach.
Remedy – 3: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda helps a lot in neutralizing the stomach acids and gases and thereby results in the clearing these rotten egg burps.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink this baking soda water to get relief from the problem.
- Remember to stay near the toilet after drinking this water why because it will throw up and clear your stomach.
- Repeat it regularly whenever you suffer from these burps to get instant relief from the problem.
Remedy – 4: (Herbal Tea)
There are many herbal teas that work well in stimulating the digestion process and to give you complete relief from these sulfur burps. Let’s have a look at some best teas that help you in fighting rotten egg burps.
- Peppermint Tea – It has an antispasmodic property that relaxes your digestive tract and prevents the formation of gas in the stomach along with improving the flow of bile and promotes proper digestion. Mix 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves in 1 cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Strain and drink it 2 – 3 times daily to get rid of the sour burps.
- Chamomile Tea – It contains various volatile oils and flavonoids that exhibit a soothing effect on the intestine and relieves your intestinal cramps, flatulence, colic and upset stomach. Place 1 chamomile tea bag in a cup and pour boiled water over it. Steep for 5 – 10 minutes and remove the tea bag to sip chamomile tea. Drink it 2 – 3 times daily for best results.
- Ginger Tea – Ginger is an excellent remedy for treating intestine related disorders with its antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Crush 2 medium ginger pieces and pour it in 1 glass of water. Boil it for few minutes and strain the water to consume this warm ginger tea. Drink it twice daily.
- Green Tea – Green tea is loaded with many catechins and flavonoids that help to cure these sour burps. simply prepare a green tea by dipping a green tea bag in 1 cup of hot water for a couple of minutes. Drink it after each meal to get relief from the rotten egg smells of your burps.
Remedy – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) prevents the inconvenience caused by this sour burp. It neutralizes the stomach acids by balancing the pH levels of the body. It exhibits antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to give relief from these foul smelling burps.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw, organic and unfiltered ACV in 1 glass of water (prefer lukewarm water).
- Stir well and consume it directly to get relief from the problem.
- If you are unable to withstand the taste of ACV then mix some raw honey to this ACV water and drink it.
- Regular intake will definitely help you to get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Ginger)
Ginger has carminative properties that help to relax the gastrointestinal muscles and thereby prevents gas, bloating and burping. It aids in proper digestion and calms down the intestinal irritants to clear the problem.
Here are some ways of using ginger for clearing sulfur burps.
- Take 1 – inch piece of raw clean ginger and start chewing it thoroughly for few minutes. Continue this remedy thrice daily until you get relief from the problem.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of dry ginger powder, pepper powder and cardamom seeds with 1/4 cup of water. Stir well and consume this mix after breakfast. Also, intake of this mix even after having your lunch or dinner will help you to get relief from the burping quickly.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon each of ground ginger and ground cinnamon and mix it in 1 cup of hot water. Stir well and let it steep for around 10 minutes. Then add 1 teaspoon of honey and stir well. Drink this mix daily until you get relief from the rotten egg burps.
- Take ginger supplement after consulting your doctor for proper dosage and treatment.
Tips and Precautions:
- Drinking plenty of water (warm water) along with herbal teas, fruit juices and other healthy fluids daily will help for better digestion and protect the stomach from getting infected by any microbes. It also prevents bad breath or the foul smell of a rotten egg effectively.
- The intake of excessive alcohol is another reason for sulfur burps. So, to get rid of this problem you need to lessen the intake of alcohol and its beverages along with carbonated beverages.
- Due to busy schedules and work, most people prefer canned foods but do you know that it shows many negative effects on the digestive system. So, replace the canned or processed foods (high in preservatives) with all fresh fruits and vegetables to get relief from these sulfur burps and also to grab their nutritional benefits.
- The intake of sugary foods will worsen this sulfur burps. So, try to remove these foods (like candies or cakes or ice creams) from the daily consumption. Although, the consumption of sugary foods occasionally will won’t affect your health or cause these burps.
- Having large meals will put more effort on the digestive system to work for its digestion and it may take a lot of time and thereby results in many serious health problems. So, consume light meals to enable the stomach to function properly for better digestion and prevent sulfur burps.
- Consume foods that are rich in fiber to enhance the digestive process and to flush out the leftover foods in the stomach. So, include fresh fruits and salads for grabbing more of fiber content into the body.
- Reduce the intake of foods which have high protein content like eggs and poultry why because they cause extra stress on the intestinal tract and causes bloating along with burping.
- Include brown rice (rich in fiber) and olive oil as an integral part of your regular diet to alleviate this condition faster and thereby relieves your problem.
- Lack of physical exercise will also result in sulfur smelling burps. So, have some physical exercises like walking, jogging, swimming, yoga, and meditation to enhance your metabolism and strengthen your immune system to get rid of these burps or belches.
- Never ever consume food which causes allergic reactions to you and try to eliminate them from your diet to prevent food allergies and food poisoning.
- Probiotic foods will help to restore the natural balance of your gut and prevent the attack of bad bacteria to clear the formation of gas and belching along with other digestive disorders.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from the sulfur smelling burps for proper diagnose and treatment why because it can be caused as a part of any underlying health diseases.
All the above mentioned natural home remedies and tips are effective in treating rotten egg smelled burps when you follow them regularly. Do you know any other effective remedies for treating sulfur burps? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.