Whenever there is a sudden change in the skin size due to rapid weight gain or loss, pregnancy, puberty, genetic, etc. then stretch marks will appear on the skin, most commonly on thighs, abdomen, underarms, buttocks and breasts. These marks / scars occur when the dermis layer of the skin gets ripped due to stretching of the skin.
The best way to prevent stretch marks is to keep your skin healthy and hydrated for improving its elasticity. Coconut oil is an excellent natural moisturizer that hydrates the skin and thus improves its elasticity for reducing or fading the stretch marks on the skin.
Keep reading to know the real benefits of using coconut oil for stretch marks and why it has become an effective stretch marks treatment.
- Coconut oil naturally contains vitamin E and other moisturizing compounds that soothe the skin to keep it healthy.
- It penetrates deep into the dermis layer and starts healing both dermis and epidermis layer to fade the stretch marks on the skin.
- It contains saturated fats that help to strengthen the cell walls and thus plays an important role in removing stretch marks.
- It has ann antioxidant property that fights against the free radicals to reduce the appearance of the stretch marks on the skin.
- It has antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to keep the scars from swelling or getting infected.
- It moisturizes the skin to make it more elastic, stretchable, more supple and softer that helps to prevent the stretch marks more quickly.
- It has all the essential nutrients (vitamin E, K and iron) and fatty acids that regenerate the skin cells and heals it from scarring or stretch marks.
- It acts as an excellent preventive remedy for stretch marks during pregnancy, as it soothes, moisturizes, heals, clarifies and lubricates the skin to reduce the damage caused due to stretching of skin during different stages of pregnancy.
- It has excellent skin lightening property that lightens the skin pigment and clears discoloration of the skin to fade stretch marks.
- It boosts up the collagen production naturally, balances the skin’s oils, flushes out the dead skin cells and promotes the skin health that in turns prevent these scars on the skin.
How to use Coconut Oil for Stretch Marks:
There are many ways for treating stretch marks with coconut oil. Discover the amazing 3 coconut oil methods for getting rid of stretch marks or scars on skin.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil alone is proved to fade stretch marks by moisturizing the skin. It can be taken internally (consume directly or include in daily diet) or applied externally for treating your skin problems, including stretch marks.
Steps to be followed…
- Take some virgin coconut oil into your hands. Be sure to take right amount to ensure that the oil is well absorbed into the skin.
- Apply this on the stretch marks affected areas of the skin.
- Massage it gently for few minutes to aid the better absorption of oil into the skin.
- Leave it on for few hours to overnight.
- Continue doing the oil application regularly for 2 – 3 times a day till you get rid of stretch marks on the skin.
Note: For more effective results against new or old stretch marks, use lukewarm virgin coconut oil for clearing stretch marks at night time before going to bed. Massage it and rinse the applied area with lukewarm water in the morning to reduce their appearance.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil with Castor Oil)
Castor oil acts as humectants that help to retain moisture to your skin. This combination is very effective in treating the stretch marks and moisturizes the skin to make it soft and supple.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil in 2 teaspoons of castor oil.
- Stir well and apply this oil on the stretch marks affected skin areas.
- Massage it for few minutes and wipe out the excess oil from it.
- Let it sit for few hours to overnight.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 3 times daily until your skin is free from stretch marks.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Olive Oil and Vitamin E Oil)
This oil blend will definitely help to moisturize your skin along with fading stretch marks.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 1 cup each of coconut oil and olive oil in a bowl.
- In that, add 4 tablespoons of vitamin E oil and the content from 6 vitamin A capsules.
- Stir it well and use this mix to massage your skin.
- Regularly massage your skin with this oil blend to reduce stretch marks.
Note: Alternatively, you can mix some coconut oil, cocoa butter and shea butter in a bowl and melt it in a double boiler or microwave. Then add some vitamin E oil and stir well. Apply this mix on the skin where you’re suffering from stretch marks to get rid of it.
Tips and Precautions:
- Remember that coconut oil may not give instant results. Apply it regularly with some patience, you will observe a reduction in scar tissue and thus makes the skin look better and well moisturized.
- The effectiveness of coconut oil will depend upon the age and the intensity of stretch marks on the skin. Also, usage of coconut oil for stretch marks will not cause any adverse effects or harm your skin.
- The best time to apply coconut oil is after the shower or bath when the skin is clean and dry that allows the skin to absorb the oil well. Also, apply a little more for dry skin and a little less for oily skin.
- The other best alternatives of coconut oil for treating stretch marks is to apply cocoa butter, avocado oil, olive oil, shea butter or emu oil.
- It would be best to apply coconut oil after rubbing the skin with potato juice to fade stretch marks and scars on the skin.
- Other than using coconut oil for stretch marks, stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, herbal teas, soups, reduce your stress levels, have a healthy diet, maintaining proper weight, etc. will definitely help you in clearing the stretch marks on the skin.
Coconut oil is a natural, safe and inexpensive home remedy for treating stretch marks. So, give a trial to these coconut oil methods and share your experience with us.
Leave a Reply