Stretch marks will occur due to sudden changes in body size, especially in the dermis layer. It appears as visible fine lines in pink, purple or red marks and thereby fades to thin silvery white or gray color on the skin surface. These are termed as left-over marks of rectifying the damage caused by tearing of dermal layer of the skin.
Sudden weight gain or loss, heredity, stress, pregnancy, usage of certain medications, physical changes, puberty, poor diet, body building, etc. are some of the factors that cause stretch marks. The most common areas where the stretch marks appear on the skin are stomach, thighs, arms, hips and other fat deposited areas of the skin etc.
Although stretch marks are not any serious health problem but it makes you feel embarrassing and self – conscious about the appearance. Also, these marks can’t be removed completely from the skin but can be easily faded to mix it with your skin tone.
Rather than using cosmetic procedures like creams, medications, laser therapies and other surgeries, just give a trial to natural remedies which are safe and cost effective with long lasting results. Baking soda is an amazing natural home remedy for stretch marks with its excellent skin care benefits.
Does Baking Soda work on Stretch Marks?
Baking soda not only used for cooking purpose but it has many excellent properties, which help to clear many health and beauty problems. Here we are going to know how it works to get rid of stretch marks.
- Baking soda act as a natural exfoliant that helps to remove the dead skin cells to reveal younger cells underneath and reduces the damage caused due to skin stretching.
- It has an excellent skin whitening and bleaching property that fades away these marks at a faster rate.
- It encourages the growth of collagen to clear these scars and thereby helps in shedding the dead skin and promotes new skin’s growth.
- It has antioxidant property that helps to fight against the free radicals which further damage the skin and prevents stretch marks.
How to use Baking Soda for Stretch Marks:
Is these ugly stretch marks on your stomach and arms embarrassing you and keeping you away from wearing your favorite dress? Then you’re in desperate to know how to get rid of stretch marks? You just follow the below-mentioned baking soda methods to fade these stretch marks on the skin.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda with water is an excellent combination that was widely used to treat stretch marks and other scars on the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and body wash on a clean washcloth.
- Fold the cloth and rub this mix with your hands together till they mixed thoroughly.
- When you come out of the shower then use this cloth to scrub the stretch marks gently in circular motion.
- Here the hard particles of baking soda help to exfoliate the skin and the body wash moisturizes, cleans and nourishes the skin.
- Do scrubbing for few minutes and rinse it off with water.
- Continue doing the same process for 2 – 3 times a week to get rid of these stretch marks on the skin.
Note: Alternatively, mix some sea salt and baking soda in little of water to make it as a scrub mix. Use it to scrub the stretch marks for 2 – 3 minutes and continue to fade away them.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda with Lemon Juice)
Both baking soda and lemon help to exfoliate the skin to clear dead skin cells which further reduces the appearance of stretch marks. This combination also helps to bleach the skin to reduce the redness on the affected areas and thus makes it less visible.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in 1 – 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Stir it well to make a fine paste and then apply this paste on the stretch marks affected skin areas.
- Let it sit for few minutes to dry naturally.
- After that, use a clean wet cloth to wipe out the mix.
- Repeat the same process regularly to lighten up the stretch marks on the skin.
- Or simply wrap the baking soda and lime paste applied area with a plastic bag. Let it sit for 30 minutes by holding some hot compress or hot water bottle and rinse with normal water.
- Also, add some turmeric powder to this paste before applying to get rid of stretch marks.
- Or use lemon juice skin wraps that are mixed with baking soda to prevent stretch marks.
Method – 3: (Baking Soda with Olive Oil)
Scrubbing and exfoliating are the best technique to remove the dead cells and make the skin soft and supple. So, this process helps to exfoliate the skin and fade away the stretch marks.
Steps to be followed…
- Add some olive oil in 1 – 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl.
- Stir well to make it a paste and apply it on the stretch marks.
- Scrub it gently for few minutes by using a bathing loofah in circular motions while taking your bath.
- After that, rinse the area with water and pat dry the skin.
- Do the same process regularly until you got cleared these stretch marks on the skin.
Tips and Precautions:
- Simply gently rub baking soda with a loofah when you’re having a warm bath to get rid of dead cells and fade stretch marks. Also, have a light massage with vitamin E oil after drying the skin.
- After few applications of baking soda, you will definitely notice the difference between before and after treatment for stretch marks.
- Stay hydrated by drinking at least 10 glass of water per day which helps to maintain the moisture and elasticity of the skin.
- Also, apply a light moisturizer after done with the baking soda to prevent the skin from dryness and make it smooth and soft.
- Regular exercise, healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, stress less, sleep for about 7 – 8 hours, etc. will help to get rid of stretch marks.
That’s all for now about Baking Soda for Stretch Marks. Hope you’ll try these methods in fading your stretch marks but don’t forget to share your experience with us.