Before knowing the natural ways to strengthen hair follicles, we will first understand what are hair follicles and its purpose in promoting healthy hair.
Hair follicles (or hair roots) are tiny sacs lined with skin cells, usually found in the dermis (second layer) of the skin where you find healthy hair growth. In general, the oil glands emit sebum (oil) into these sacs and thereby protect and lubricate your hair. Your cells enter into the sac and packed together as small sacs and they pushed out resulting in hair.
Do you know that healthy diet plays a key role in strengthening your hair follicles? Surprising? Isn’t it! Yes, healthy diet (protein rich foods) will definitely promote healthy and strong hair.
Hair follicles are well nourished and hydrated with nutrient – rich blood that helps for the healthy, luscious and strong hair strands. Dehydration, heat damage, poor nourishment, usage of harsh chemical based hair care products, hair issues, etc. will weaken your hair follicles and make your hair thin and lack luster hair and eventually result in dormant phase or telogen.
If you suffer from weak hair follicles then this telogen phase will last longer than 3 – 4 months and then eventually result in thin and lifeless hair and thereby hair fall. To grab and enjoy vibrant hair, you have to strengthen your hair roots (follicles).
Here in this article, we will discuss some effective natural remedies and lifestyle & hair care tips to strengthen your hair follicles and to enjoy long, voluminous and healthy hair.
Best Ways to Strengthen Hair Follicles:
Regular follow – up is the best way to control hair related problems and to enjoy healthy hair growth with strong hair follicles. Let’s have at these methods and tips mentioned below and try it.
1. Balanced Diet:
Nutrition plays a key role in treating any health or beauty problem, including healthy hair growth. You can easily get rid of these hair problems by fixing your diet in a proper way. Consuming a nutritional and well-balanced diet will definitely bring back a healthy head with full of hair within 7 – 12 months.
Actually, each and every hair follicle feed on the nutrient – rich blood and if there is any deficiency in the nutrition required to promote healthy hair then it gets weak and starts hair fall. So, consume a well-balanced diet for the optimum health of hair follicles.
Follow the below-mentioned diet to promote healthy hair without lacking in nutrients.
- Iron – rich Protein Foods: Eggs, dairy, poultry, lentils, leafy greens, tofu, beans, legumes, etc. are some best sources of iron – rich proteins, which helps to carry oxygen to each and every hair follicle. Make sure to consume vitamin C rich foods to help the body absorb and utilize this iron-rich protein.
- Vitamins: The essential vitamins (A, B & C) will help you in promoting healthy hair growth. Vitamin A foods (yellow or orange colored – red bell peppers, oranges, sweet potato, carrots, squash) has rich content of beta carotene that helps for strengthening the hair roots.
- B vitamins (eggs, almonds, peanuts, avocados) are enriched with biotin, which is crucial for healthy hair, skin, and nails. Vitamin C (citrus foods) helps the hair follicles to absorb the nutrients and utilize it for their strengthening. Also, consume vitamin E rich foods to hydrate your hair.
- Zinc – rich Foods: Zinc is another vital nutrient for healthy hair and its growth. Consume zinc rich foods like red meats, pumpkin, spinach, shellfish, seafood, and sesame seeds. It binds proteins and supports your oil glands to secrete enough oil to protect the hair from external damages.
- Collagen – rich Foods: Collagen helps a lot in not only strengthening hair follicles but also boost up the hair growth. You can find collagen in certain foods like bone broth, gelatin – cuts of meat, gelatin powder, etc.
- Drink plenty of water whenever you feel thirsty and remember that consuming nutritional foods will be well utilized when you drink enough water. Dehydration is one of the main reasons for the hair problems like dull, dry, frizzy and brittle hair.
2. Hair Care Tips:
Here are the tips you have to follow them for healthy and strong hair follicles.
- Style and Handle your hair with utmost care. You should not strain your scalp by wearing tight braids, tight & high ponytail, as this strain will weaken the hair follicles and cause damage and inflammation. So, make your hair style simple, nice and presentable. Comb your hair with wide tooth comb gently to remove tangles and use your hair cream to prevent the hair from dry and dehydration.
- No or less usage of heat tools, as overuse of these curling iron and hair straighteners or blow dryer will damage your hair follicles in such a way that it can’t be reversed. This will also lead to permanent dryness and dullness of hair. Use them only when they are really necessary to prevent split ends, dry or frizzy hair.
- Hot Oil treatments like applying warm coconut oil, olive oil, and other natural oils will help to repair the damage caused by using heat tools on your hair. It also moisturizes and nourishes your hair to prevent dry, dull or frizzy hair or scalp.
- The usage of commercial chemical based hair products will result in product buildup and thus makes you feel icky and suffocate the follicles by forming a thin white film. So, switch to natural shampoos which are sulfate or chemical free for healthy and strong hair.
- Over treating, dyeing or bleaching the hair will weaken the hair follicles and thereby result in hair loss. So, applying natural hair masks will help you to bring back the lost moisture and shine to your hair.
- The water used to shower (like hard water or chlorine) your hair will also affect the hair follicles, as it causes the buildup on the scalp and thereby results in hair shedding. So, go for a chlorine free water to prevent clumps of hair draining out.
- Use a cow/sheep/buffalo horn combs or wooden combs instead of plastic combs or brushes. Plastic combs will be harsh on the scalp and hurt your hair follicles, leading to inflammation and painful scalp. You may also experience scalp scabs or pimples while using a plastic comb on the scalp. So, choose natural combs to soothe your scalp and promote hair growth.
- The hormonal imbalance will also contribute to weak hair follicles and results in hair loss. Stress and lack of enough sleep will cause this hormonal imbalance. Always look for organic vegetables and GMO-free foods. The DHT hormone is the main reason causing hair thinning or baldness, so reduce this DHT in the hair follicles by consuming a healthy diet (as mentioned above).
3. Natural Home Remedies:
Have a look at these methods and try them regularly to strengthen your hair roots and enjoy healthy and strong hair.
Method – 1: (Scalp Massages)
Scalp massages will help not only to increase your blood flow to the hair follicles but also relax your tired scalp and nourish it properly. A seven minutes massage will strengthen your hair follicles and promote healthy hair growth.
Here are few ways of applying these soothing scalp massages to stimulate hair growth and repairs the damage caused by the usage of chemical hair care products.
- Pour 6 drops of peppermint oil in 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil. Stir and store this oil mix in a small glass jar. Apply it your scalp and massage gently in circular motions for 5 – 7 minutes. Wait for an hour and rinse your hair with a natural shampoo. Repeat it regularly.
- Add 7 – 9 drops of lavender oil in 3 oz of pure aloe vera gel and stir well. Apply it on all over the scalp by massaging gently for few minutes. Wait for an hour and rinse your hair with water to have a soothing effect on the scalp.
Also, check out How to use Essential Oils for Healthy Hair Growth.
Method – 2: (Fenugreek Seeds)
Fenugreek helps for healthy hair growth with its essential nutrients, proteins, nicotinic acid, amino acids and lecithin that strengthen your hair follicles and grows your hair healthy.
- Soak 2 – 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in enough water for 8 – 10 hours.
- After that, grind these seeds to make into a fine paste.
- Then mix this paste in 2 teaspoons of coconut milk and apply it on the scalp and hair.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
Note: Or replace fenugreek seeds with flax seeds. Soak 1/4 cup of flaxseeds in water for overnight and boil these seeds in 2 cups of water over high heat till it gets thicken. Strain and let it cool to add few drops of essential oil to it. Apply this mix as your hair gel to strengthen your weak hair roots.
Method – 3: (Rosemary Essential Oil)
Rosemary oil helps for healthy hair growth by acting as a powerful stimulant to circulate the nutrient rich blood properly to all the hair follicles and clears oily scalp and dandruff.
- Pour 2 – 4 drops of rosemary essential oil in 2 tablespoons of any base oil (like coconut, olive, almond, avocado or jojoba oil).
- Stir and apply it on the hair by massage gently in circular motions.
- Wait for at least 30 – 40 minutes and rinse with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat the same regularly to strengthen your hair follicles.
Note: Or use rosemary water as your final hair rinse by steeping 2 – 3 rosemary sprigs in 2 cups of hot water for 5 – 7 minutes. If you have dried herb then boil a handful of rosemary in water. Let it cool and strain the mix. Finally, use this water to rinse your hair after shampooing.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil and Avocado Nourishing Hair Mask)
Avocado is enriched with nutrients and unsaturated oils that provide essential moisture to nourish your hair follicles. Coconut oil strengthens the hair roots with its lauric and capric acid and other essential fatty acids.
- Mash 1/2 piece of a ripe avocado properly in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in it.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply it on all over the hair and scalp.
- Wait for few minutes and rinse off with water and mild shampoo.
- Repeat this ultra nourishing hair mask to grab deep condition and hydrate hair.
Also, Check out Overnight Hair Masks for Healthy Hair Growth
Method – 5: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera hair masks provide essential fatty acids, iron, vitamins (A, B, C & E), enzymes, etc. that stimulate your hair to grow strong and healthy. It penetrates deep into the scalp and moisturizes it.
- Extract enough fresh aloe vera gel from aloe leaf and mix 2 teaspoons of coconut milk.
- Stir well and apply it on all over the scalp.
- Let it sit for about 30 – 40 minutes and rinse off with water and shampoo.
- Continue this process for once or twice a week for best and quick results.
Note: Or simply apply fresh aloe vera gel onto the scalp and rinse off after 30 minutes with lukewarm water. Do it once or twice a week regularly.
- Wear a hat or scarf while going out in the sun (summer time) to prevent the damage caused by sun’s harmful UV rays.
- Regular follow up of the nourishing hair masks with natural ingredients will help you in strengthening hair follicles and thus promote luscious long hair.
- Make sure to check that you’re not allergic to any of the natural ingredients that listed above before using it on the hair.
- Indian gooseberry has rich content of vitamin C. So, include it in your diet or use it as a mask by pouring few dried amla pieces in a pan filled with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil till they charred. Cool the oil and apply it on the scalp and hair. Rinse off with a mild shampoo after 50 minutes.
- Consult your trichologist if you didn’t find any relief from the hair thinning or hair fall for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these natural hair care tips and methods to strengthen your hair follicles. Do you know any other successful remedies or tips for strengthening hair follicles naturally? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.