Hair will definitely enhance one’s beauty elegance but in these days most of the people are struggling a lot in protecting their hair from the external and internal factors like sun, pollution, dust, environmental irritants, usage of hair styling products, gels, sprays, over washing, hot water hair rinses, blow dryers, improper hair care hygiene, etc.
The lack of nourishment and moisture caused due to thermal, chemical or mechanical stress will wear off the protective layer of the hair cuticle and thereby result in split ends.
Split ends are the common hair problem faced mostly by women especially, those with dry or frizzy hair. You will find a single or multiple slits at the end of the hair shaft, which makes you difficult to style your hair.
Trimming the hair is one best way to remove these split ends. If left untrimmed then it continues to split up the hair and finally leads to hair loss. You have to follow some natural remedies which not only control this problem but also improve the hair strength and prevent its recurrence.
Home Remedies for Split Ends:
Here we mentioned several best remedies that help you in preventing split ends. Have a look at these remedies and follow them regularly to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Egg Mask)
The rich content of protein in eggs will help in the proper functioning of the keratin protein (required for healthy hair growth). The essential fatty acid in eggs smoothen the hair and thereby makes it less prone to breakage or split ends.
- Separate an egg yolk from an egg and whisk it properly.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 – 3 tablespoons of olive oil to it.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the damp hair.
- Wait for 30 minutes and rinse your hair thoroughly with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Continue this egg yolk application regularly to get relief from split ends.
- Or simply whip an egg with 1 teaspoon of almond oil and apply it on your damp hair and wash with water and shampoo after 25 – 30 minutes.
- Or mix 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise, 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a small bowl. Stir and apply it on the hair as a mask and rinse off with shampoo after 1 – 2 hours.
Remedy – 2: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil prevents split ends and promotes healthy hair growth with its rich content of proteins, vitamin E, omega fatty acids, and minerals. It has ricinoleic acid that increases the circulation to the scalp and thereby strengthens the hair roots to clear this problem.
- Mix equal quantities of castor oil, olive oil, and mustard oil.
- Apply it on the scalp and hair and massage in for few minutes by concentrating more on the hair ends.
- Then wrap your hair in a towel or shower cap for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Wash it with shampoo and lukewarm water and dry your hair.
- Do the same process 3 times a week on regular basis.
Remedy – 3: (Hot Oil Treatment)
Lack of moisture is another main reason for these split ends. So, conditioning your hair with hot oils will definitely help you to restore the lost moisture content in the hair shaft and thereby prevent split ends.
Here we are using any natural oils like coconut oil, castor oil, almond oil or olive oil to get the deep conditioning to your hair.
- Slightly heat any of the above natural oil either in a double boiler or microwave (time – 20 seconds).
- Apply this warm oil onto the scalp and hair.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and let it sit for at least 45 minutes.
- Rinse off with shampoo and water and dry your hair thoroughly.
- Continue doing the same process regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
Note: To grab more benefits, you can add 2 – 3 drops of any essential oil to this oil mix (after heating) before application.
Remedy – 4: (Avocado)
Avocado contains all essential vitamins (A, D & E), magnesium, protein, folic acid and other nutrients that stimulate the healthy hair growth. The essential fatty acids in avocado make it as a deep conditioner that not only nourishes the hair but also softens it.
- Take 1 ripe avocado and mash it well in a bowl.
- Then add 2 tablespoons each of coconut oil and olive oil in it.
- Stir well until it forms a creamy consistency and apply it on your hair as a mask (avoid the roots).
- Wait for at least 30 minutes and rinse off with water and mild shampoo.
- Continue applying this mask for once a week on regular basis.
Note: Or simply replace coconut oil with egg whites and apply it on the hair to moisturize the hair and to get rid of split ends.
Remedy – 5: (Papaya)
Papaya contains proteins, vitamins, enzymes and minerals that help to reduce the chemical buildup, nourish, restore the natural shine and prevent split ends.
- Take 1/2 a papaya and peel and deseed it.
- Then blend it with 1/2 cup of plain yogurt until smooth.
- Spread this paste on your hair as a mask and wait for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Finally, rinse your hair with mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Do it once or twice a week for few months to get rid of split ends.
Remedy – 6: (Honey)
Honey has humectant property that helps to lock the moisture to nourish and hydrate the hair shafts. It acts as a natural hair conditioner that treats dry and damaged hair and thereby prevents it from splitting or breakage.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of raw honey in 4 cups of warm water and stir well.
- Shampoo your hair and use this mix as your hair rinse.
- Leave this conditioner for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Do it once a week until you get complete relief from split ends.
Note: Even yogurt acts as a deep conditioner that moisturizes and hydrates the hair to clear split ends. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey in 2 – 3 tablespoons of yogurt to make a paste. Spread it on the scalp and hair thoroughly. Wait for 30 minutes and rinse your hair with mild shampoo. Repeat it once a week.
Remedy – 7: (Banana)
Banana helps to maintain the hair’s elasticity and thus reduce its chance of breakage with its rich source of zinc, potassium, vitamins, and iron. It repairs the hair damage and encourages the healthy hair growth.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, a few drops of fresh lemon juice and rose water to 1 mashed ripe banana.
- Stir to make a paste and apply it on your hair.
- Wait for an hour to rinse your hair with water and mild shampoo.
- Repeat this for once or twice a week regularly.
Remedy – 8: (Milk and Cream)
Both milk and cream act as excellent moisturizers that not only make your hair soft and supple but also helps you in treating split ends. The milk proteins also help to encourage the tissue growth and repair.
- Stir 1 tablespoon of cream in 1/2 cup of whole milk and use it rinse your hair.
- Allow it to sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse with shampoo and water.
- Dry your hair and repeat the same process for once a week until you get complete relief from the problem.
Other Effective Remedies:
Beer – It clears the buildup of impurities on the scalp and moisturizes. Rinse your hair with shampoo and pour beer through the hair. Massage gently and wash the hair after a couple of minutes. Do it once in every 2 weeks.
Mayonnaise – This will nourish your hair and makes it shiny without any split ends. Wash and towel dry the hair. Apply 1/2 cup of mayonnaise on the hair and wash the area with 15 – 20 minutes with shampoo. Continue this process for once or twice a week.
Aloe Vera – It acts as a great moisturizer for dry and damaged hair and thereby results in split ends. Massage with fresh aloe vera gel on the scalp and hair. Let it sit for 30 minutes and rinse off the hair with shampoo and water. Repeat it regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
Chamomile Tea – This tea moisturizes and nourishes your hair to prevent dry and frizzy hair, which results in split ends. Brew and cool some chamomile tea and use it to rinse your hair. Also, use ACV (apple cider vinegar) water prepared by mixing equal parts of ACV and water and use it as your final hair rinse. Do it once or twice a week to get control over split ends.
Vitamin E Oil – It nourishes your hair and forms a protective barrier to protect your cuticle from split ends. Pour few drops of E oil into enough lukewarm water and stir. Apply it on the scalp and hair and massage gently. Wait for few hours to overnight and then rinse the hair with shampoo.
Tips and Precautions:
- Include vitamins (A & C), omega fatty acids, biotin, selenium, etc. in your daily diet to nourish your hair, strengthen it and prevent from split ends and hair fall.
- Don’t brush your hair when it is wet and also avoid vigorous brushing of the hair, as they damage the hair texture and result in split ends.
- Cover the head with either a scarf or hat to prevent the damage to hair caused by harmful sun’s rays.
- For best and effective hair growth, you have to follow these simple tricks like trim the hair in every 3 – 4 months, limit the usage of chemical based creams, blow dryers and other hair styling products, always use a wide tooth brush to remove tangles in the hair, etc. to prevent split ends and hair fall.
- Drink more of water and other healthy fluids to stay hydrated (both body and hair) and thus reduce split ends.
- Consult your doctor if you’re even suffering from split ends after using these natural remedies why because it can be due to any nutritional deficiencies or any other health issue.
- Use natural moisturizers like Vaseline, cocoa butter or shea butter, almond oil, clarified butter, jojoba oil, etc. to moisture and hydrate your scalp and hair.
- Avoid using hot water to rinse your hair and instead use lukewarm water to clear the buildup of shampoo, toxins or other impurities on the scalp.
Try these natural remedies to get control over the split ends and to promote healthy hair growth. Do you know any other successful natural remedies for split ends? Then share it with us in the below comments box.