Stomach ulcer (or gastric ulcer) is a sore that develops in the lining of the stomach and in the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract as well.
Whenever your stomach or intestinal lining is weak, then they allow the acid for creating an erosion or sore in the stomach lining which in turn results in stomach ulcer.
It is formed due to an increase in stomach acid which is caused by certain medications (mainly NSAIDs), stress, alcohol, poor diet, smoking, Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori, a type of bad bacteria), radiation therapy, physical injury, etc.
One in every 10 people are suffering from this ulcer for once in their lifetime and there are about 4 million people are having stomach ulcers (as per American Gastroenterological Association).
Severe stomach pain (when your stomach is empty or at night time), bloating, belching, vomiting, heartburn, poor appetite, nausea, weight loss, etc. are some of the symptoms of stomach ulcer.
If you’re one among those people suffering from stomach ulcers, don’t get tensed, as there are many natural ways to strengthen and protect your stomach lining from acid attacks.
But remember to consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment for a long-term relief and follow these natural remedies to get rid of the symptoms and thereby stomach ulcers.
Home Remedies for Stomach Ulcers:
Here are the best remedies used for treating stomach ulcers and its symptoms. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Cabbage)
Cabbage is rich in lactic acid that helps to produce amino acids which in turn stimulate proper blood flow to the stomach lining. It also has rich content of vitamin C that fights against H. pylori. Carrot juice has vitamin U, an anti-peptic ulcer factor.
- Cut 1/2 part of a cabbage and 2 carrots into fine pieces and place it in a blender.
- Blend it for few minutes and extract its juice.
- Drink 1/2 cup of the juice before each meal and at bedtime.
- Continue drinking this juice (fresh) daily for few weeks to get rid of the problem.
Method – 2: (Licorice)
Licorice helps to form a coating over the lining by stimulating the intestine and stomach to produce more of protective mucus. It also eases your pain and thus speed-up the healing process.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of licorice root powder in 1 cup of water and stir well.
- Cover and let it steep for overnight and add 1 cup of cooked broken white rice into this mix in the next morning.
- Consume it and repeat the same daily for a week to notice positive results.
Note: Also, drink licorice tea for 2 – 3 times daily for a week (or) take 2 – 3 deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) tablets for 2 – 3 times daily up to a week.
Method – 3: (Bananas)
Both ripe and raw bananas will treat stomach ulcer effectively with its antibacterial property that inhibits the growth of H. pylori bacteria. It also protects the stomach lining by reducing the acidic gastric juices with its anti-inflammatory property.
- Peel 2 – 3 bananas and cut it into thin slices and dry them under the sun till they dried completely.
- Then grind these dried slices into a fine powder.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of this banana powder and 1 tablespoon of raw honey to make a paste.
- Consume this mix for thrice daily for few days to heal your stomach ulcer.
Note: Or simply eat 2 – 3 ripe bananas daily (or) drink banana milkshakes.
Method – 4: (Slippery Elm)
Mucilage present in the inner bark of the slippery elm will soothe and calm down the pain, irritation and inflammation. Regular intake of slippery elm will help to remove excess fats in your intestine.
- Grind a small amount of inner bark of the slippery elm into powder form.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of this elm powder in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and drink this for thrice daily for 1 week.
Method – 5: (Cayenne Pepper)
Capsaicin in cayenne pepper will boost the production of alkali, restricts the secretion of stomach acids and enhance the mucus secretions and gastric mucosal blood flow to get rid of stomach ulcers.
- Add 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in 1 glass of warm water and stir well.
- Drink it twice daily for 3 – 4 days and increase the pepper quantity to 1/4 teaspoon for twice daily.
Note: Or consume 3 capsules of cayenne pepper immediately after meals for a week (or) include cayenne pepper in your daily diet.
Method – 6: (Fenugreek)
Fenugreek has rich content of mucilaginous compound that protects your stomach’s lining like a mucus coating. It also treats pain and other discomforts caused by ulcers with its many healing properties.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a pan filled with 2 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil for few minutes and strain it.
- Mix some honey and drink this tea twice daily.
- Also, boil 1 cup of fenugreek leaves and consume it twice daily by adding some raw honey in it.
- Or consume 1 teaspoon of freshly prepared fenugreek seed powder along with 1 cup of milk for twice daily.
Method – 7: (Wood Apple)
Wood apple (bael) leaves contain tannins that help to protect the stomach from the damage caused due to secretion of excess acid. The juice extracted from bael fruit has mucilage content that helps to reduce pain and irritation.
- Place 2 – 4 wood apple leaves in a copper vessel filled with 1 cup of water.
- Soak it for overnight and strain in it in the morning.
- Drink it on an empty stomach in the every morning for few weeks.
Tips and Precautions:
- Coconut oil has an antibacterial property that prevents H. pylori causing ulcers. Drink coconut milk or tender coconut water daily. Also, consume 1 tablespoon of pure coconut oil in the morning and night.
- Glucose oxidase, an enzyme in honey will produce hydrogen peroxide for killing harmful bacteria causing ulcers. It also soothes the irritation and reduces the pain in the stomach lining. Just eat 2 tablespoons of raw honey in every morning on an empty stomach.
- Garlic has an antimicrobial property that keeps H. pylori bacteria in check and thus relieves you from stomach ulcers. Crush 2 – 3 garlic cloves followed by 1 glass of water daily in the morning to ease pain and irritation.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you’re suffering from acute stomach ulcers and the above-mentioned remedies will help to treat mild to moderate forms of stomach ulcers.
- Always consume small meals which are filled with fiber, green leafy vegetables and fermented foods (probiotics) to get rid of stomach ulcers. Also, avoid caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, sugars and any other foods causing food allergies from your daily diet.
- Drink chamomile herbal tea for 3 – 4 times daily to have a soothing effect on your nerves and thereby heal ulcers.
- Try to limit the usage of Non – Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) pain relievers and manage your stress levels by doing yoga, regular exercise, maintain good sleeping schedule, meditation, etc. which helps to boost up your immunity and treats stomach ulcers.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids. Also, avoid certain foods like citrus fruits, fatty or fried foods, alcohol, black or red pepper, decaffeinated coffee or tea, peppermint, chocolate and cocoa products, carbonated beverages, etc. from your diet.
- Include barley water, goat’s milk (raw form), propolis capsules, aloe juice, plums, berries, red and purple colored foods, marshmallow root, etc. in your daily diet to get rid of the problem.
Try these remedies and tips for getting relief from stomach ulcers. Do you know any other effective method for treating stomach ulcers? Then share it with us in the below comments section.