Do you know that nearly 90 million men and women in the United States are suffering from snoring? This sleeping disorder not only disrupts your sleep but also your partner’s sleep.
Everyone thinks that snoring is a natural occurrence due to the relaxed state of the throat moving into during the sleep but if it reaches severe state then it disrupts the sleeping patterns and thereby causes insomnia and sleep apnea.
This sleep centric disorder can be an indication of the sleep apnea (caused by a breathing obstruction) and if you’re suffering from extreme fatigue, sleepiness and exhaustion during daytime then you should get checked with your doctor.
Snoring can be of 4 different types like mouth shut snorer (snoring while shutting your mouth means a problem with tongue and nasal passageways), mouth wide open snorer (snoring with mouth wide open means the tissue in the throat is partially obstructed), back snorer (sleeping on your back makes you to breathe through the mouth and thereby causes snoring) and a snorer no matter what (snoring in any position is a serious problem).
It is mainly caused by the obstruction in the free passage of air while breathing. The muscles or tissues in the mouth get relaxed and make the tongue falls back to obstruct the passage of air. This process will create harsh irritating sounds during your sleep.
Some other reasons include overweight or obesity, menopause or hormonal imbalance, aging, nasal or sinus, asthma or other respiratory problems, intake of alcohol and its beverages, smoking, use of certain medications, sleeping positions, etc. If left untreated then it results in raising the blood pressure levels, heart problems and other serious medical and social consequences.
So, how to stop this nasal sleep – disruptive sound? For curing any problem, it’s important to identify the exact reason why and how this snoring is occurring (Take the help of your partner to monitor your snoring) and thereby check out with your health care provider for the solutions to eliminate this snoring.
There are numerous products available in the market to treat snoring but the healing any problem in a natural way will definitely give long lasting relief from that problem.
Home Remedies to Stop Snoring:
Changing your diet and lifestyle will make a big difference in controlling your snoring. Have a look on the best natural remedies and some diet and lifestyle habits to get complete relief from the problem.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Peppermint)
Peppermint is an excellent remedy for treating snoring that caused temporarily due to cold, dry air or allergy. It exhibits anti-inflammatory property to reduce swelling of the membranes in the lining of the throat and nostrils.
Here are few ways of using peppermint for snoring.
- Stir 1 – 2 drops of peppermint oil in 1 glass of water and use it to gargle at night before bedtime. Never ever swallow this solution, you have to spit it out and continue this action once daily till you achieved the desired results.
- If you’re experiencing snoring caused by dry air or congestion then simply add few drops of peppermint oil to your humidifier about 30 minutes before turning it on. Run the humidifier overnight to open up the airways and thereby to stop snoring.
- Simply rub a drop of peppermint oil on the lower portions of each side of your nose before going to sleep for sound sleep without any snoring.
Remedy – 2: (Olive Oil)
The strong anti-inflammatory property of olive oil will help to ease your tissues all along the respiratory passages and thereby reduces the swelling and soreness. Regular follow up will reduce the vibrations in the throat and stops snoring.
Here are few ways of using olive oil for snoring.
- Take 2 – 3 sips of olive oil and consume it before going to bed. Daily intake will help you in getting rid of snoring.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon each of olive oil and raw honey in a bowl. Stir well and consume it once daily before going to sleep to relax your muscles/tissues causing snoring.
Remedy – 3: (Steam)
Inhaling steam vapor will help you a lot in reducing nasal congestion and thereby snoring. It also opens up the nasal airway and clears respiratory tract.
- Boil some hot water and pour it in a large bowl.
- Then add 3 – 5 drops of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil in this water.
- Stir and hold a towel over the head and then start inhaling the steam slowly and deeply through the nose.
- Continue this action for about 10 – 15 minutes at night before bedtime.
- Repeat regularly to clear your congestion and thus stop snoring.
Remedy – 4: (Turmeric)
Being an effective antiseptic, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory agent, turmeric helps a lot in treating inflammation and thereby helps to reduce heavy snoring. The intake of turmeric milk will help to breathe freely and boost up your immune system.
- Add 2 teaspoons of organic turmeric powder in 1 glass of warm milk.
- Stir and drink this turmeric milk 30 minutes before going to sleep.
- Continue drinking this turmeric milk for once daily to get relief from snoring.
Remedy – 5: (Lifestyle Changes)
Small changes in your lifestyle will make you live happily. So, try these small lifestyle changes to have a long lasting relationship without any sleeping disorders.
- Change your position while sleeping – never lie on your back on the bed as it makes the base of the tongue and soft palate will get collapse to the back wall of the throat. So, sleep on your side and try a body pillow to maintain sleep on your side. Prefer to use tennis ball at the back of the shirt to prevent snoring.
- Elevate your head while sleeping up to 4 – 6 inches by placing 2 additional pillows to open up the nasal airways and to have sound sleep with less or no snoring.
- Overweight is another factor causing snoring. So, check whether you gained weight recently or not and if yes, then try to lose your excess weight as soon as possible by following a healthy diet and some exercises to get rid of many health issues, including snoring.
- Practicing good sleeping hygiene will also affect your snoring. The dust accumulated on the pillows and bed sheet will affect your sleep. So, change them once a week and replace them for at least 9 months to keep away the dust and other allergies from you. Also, avoid pets to sleep on the bed to prevent snoring.
- Lack of sleep and tiredness will cause snoring. So, get enough sleep to prevent overtiredness and thereby snoring.
- Usage of neck brace while sleeping will prevent snoring, as it keeps the chin extended to make the throat not to bend and this will help the airways stay open. You can buy it at any drug stores.
- Playing the didgeridoo will help to strengthen the soft palate and throat and thereby reduces snoring. It also reduces the daytime sleepiness and thus snoring and sleep apnea. So, play this instrument for about 20 – 25 minutes daily to get control over snoring.
- You can wear a mouth guard at night before bedtime will function to keep the lower jaw push out and widen your airways to prevent snoring. Or simply buy OTC device called snore guard.
- It’s always essential to keep your nasal passage clean and open for proper flow of air. So, take hot water shower or use neti pot solution to rinse your nasal or inhale the steam or use nasal strips to open your nasal passage and thereby to get rid of snoring.
Remedy – 6: (Mouth Exercises)
The tongue will play a major role in causing snoring, as it falls back when the mouth muscles get relaxed and cause snoring. Here are few exercises mentioned to get rid of snoring caused by tongue relaxation.
- Stick your tongue out as far as possible and relax it. Repeat the same for 10 times daily.
- Stick your tongue and try to touch the chin. Hold this position for few seconds and relax your tongue. Continue this for 5 times and then try to touch your nose and hold for few seconds. Repeat it for 5 times on daily basis.
- A smile is also an exercise for snoring. Smile as wide as possible and try to hold it for 10 seconds. Relax and repeat this wide smile exercise as many times as possible for you throughout the day.
- Singing a song loudly by starting with la – la – la and hold each la for 3 seconds. Do it 5 times and then sing ka – ka – ka and now ma – ma – ma. Repeat each one for 5 times and continue this cycle as many times as possible to strengthen your throat and tighten your mouth tissues to prevent snoring.
- Close your mouth and perform a chewing motion in such a way that molars on both sides move apart to touch again. Try to make a ‘mmmmm’ sound for added benefits. Do it for a minute or two.
Tips and Precautions:
- In general, men are more prone to snoring when compared to women. So, men should always check with their weight and take some extra precautions to get rid of snoring and other health complaints.
- Clarified butter (or ghee) helps to open up the blocked nasal passage and thereby help you to sleep better. Slightly warm the clarified butter and pour 2 – 3 drops of this lukewarm ghee in each nostril. Perform this action daily at night before bedtime and in the next morning.
- Cardamom acts as an expectorant and decongestant that helps to open up the blocked nasal passages and thus lessons you’re snoring. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well and drink these 30 minutes before bed. Do it once daily to reduce the snoring.
- The intake of ginger tea, green tea, nettle tea, chamomile tea, etc. by adding little honey will help you in getting sound sleep along with clearing insomnia and snoring.
- Garlic reduces the buildup of mucus in the nasal passages and also reduces the inflammation in your respiratory system to clear snoring caused by sinus blockage. Simply chew 1 – 3 raw garlic cloves and then drink 1 glass of water at night before bedtime (or) use garlic while cooking your food.
- Try to have small meals for 3 – 4 times rather than 2 big meals. Also, complete your dinner at least 2 – 3 hours before going to bed. Reduce your caffeine, tea, soymilk and other dairy products, excess sweets, and carbonated drinks in the nighttime.
- Don’t take alcohols, sedatives or sleeping pills, as it will reduce the resting tone of the muscles in the back of the throat and makes your snoring even worse.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids to stay hydrated and healthy, as dehydration makes the nasal secretion dry and soft palate stickier.
- Consult your doctor or dentist if you’re suspecting snoring is due to any dental applications for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Run a humidifier to add moisture to the air and thereby prevent dry air to get relief from snoring sounds.
Try to change your lifestyle, diet plan and include these natural ways to get rid of snoring. Do you know any other successful home remedies for snoring? Then share it with us in the below comments box.