Sinus infection (or sinusitis) is a horrible health problem that affects around 35 million Americans every year. Sinuses are hollow spaces that air flows through within the bones surrounding the nose.
The infection occurs due to the inflammation or swelling of sinuses due to the blockage of sinuses with fluids where bacteria and other germs grow and thereby causes nasal congestion and pain.
It can be both acute (lasts for 10 – 14 days) and chronic sinusitis (lasts for 12 weeks or more). Blockage in the nose, post nasal drip, thick, yellow foul smelling discharge, congestion, cough, fever, sinus pressure or pain around the nose, sinus headache, etc. are some signs and symptoms of sinus infection.
It can be caused due to many reasons like indoor and outdoor airborne allergens, dietary irritants (gluten, dairy, and artificial additives), nasal sprays, smoke, respiratory infections, changes in air pressure, germs, infections resulting from dental problems, etc.
The usage of over the counter antibiotics, antihistamines or anti-inflammatory medications is not suitable for long time usage, as they result in side effects. So, the best option is to choose natural remedies for treating your sinus infection.
Home Remedies for Sinus Infection:
Here are some effective home remedies for treating sinus infection naturally without any side effects. Follow these remedies till you get complete relief from the problem.
Let’s get started.
Remedy – 1: (Nasal Irrigation)
Nasal irritation clears the mucus and other debris out of the passage and sinuses. It also keeps the sinuses moist for its proper functioning.
Here are some of the ways of doing nasal irritation.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in 1 glass of distilled warm water. Use this mix for nasal irrigation with the help of bulb syringe or neti pot or other irrigation devices to clear the mucus. Repeat the process once daily.
- Stir well ½ – 1 teaspoon of pickling or canning salt and a pinch of baking soda in 1 cup of lukewarm water. Use it for nasal irrigation and continue it for 2 – 3 times a day.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 glass of lukewarm water and use it to irrigate the nasal cavity. This process helps to clear out the unwanted mucus and other inhaled contaminants.
- Or inhale the steam by adding few drops of eucalyptus or peppermint oil in the hot water to break up the thick mucus and clears the nasal passage.
- Also, take hot water shower or steam bath to drain out the impurities from sinuses.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antiseptic properties that clear the germs causing infection. It has an anti-inflammatory property that relieves you from the pain, swelling, and irritation of the nasal tissues.
Read more on How Apple Cider Vinegar clears Sinus Infection.
Remedy – 3: (Cayenne Pepper)
Cayenne pepper is a spicy food that helps to drain out the sinuses and open up the nasal passages. It also boosts your immunity, improves blood circulation and reduces swelling and inflammation.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in 1 cup of hot water.
- Stir well and drink it to clear your sinuses.
- Regular intake of 2 – 3 times daily will help you to get rid of the sinus infection.
Note: Or consume a mix prepared by stirring 1 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and honey for few times daily.
Remedy – 4: (Garlic)
The allicin, alliin, ajoene and other compounds in garlic will exhibit antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties to fight the germs causing a sinus infection. It is enriched with all essential nutrients that boost up the immunity and clears the infection.
Click here to know more about Garlic for Sinus Infection.
Remedy – 5: (Turmeric)
Turmeric contains an active compound called curcumin that exhibits antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which help to clear sinusitis.
- Stir well a pinch of turmeric powder in 1 glass of warm water.
- Use this turmeric water to gargle for few minutes.
- Repeat the same process to get relief from mucus congestion and thereby from the sinus infection.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little raw honey in 1 glass of hot milk. Stir well and drink it daily till your infection is cleared completely.
- Also, brew a hot tea by mixing turmeric powder with spicy ginger root. Drink it by adding some honey to it.
Remedy – 6: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil has terpinen – 4 – ol that shows antimicrobial properties which clear the infection causing microbes. It has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces pain, swelling, and inflammation of the sinuses.
Read more on How Tea Tree Oil is used for Sinus Infection.
Remedy – 7: (Diet Plan)
Diet will play an important role in clearing the sinus infection. Here are some tips on how to plan your diet for getting rid of sinus infection.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks like herbal teas, clear broth (chicken broth) or smoothies to thin the mucus and drain it from sinuses.
- Avoid drinking caffeine, alcohol, carbonated or sugary beverages or fruit juices which dehydrate the body and thickens the mucus and clog it to irritate the sinuses.
- Include more of spicy food (like cayenne pepper, garlic or onions), fermented cod liver oil, in your diet to drain out the mucus and clears the infection.
- Intake vitamins C & D, zinc, and B-complex rich foods in your diet will boost your immune system and thereby to speed up the healing process from sinusitis.
- Avoid the intake of dairy and its products, refined flour, salt and grains which increase the mucus production and worsen your sinusitis.
Remedy – 8: (Oregano Oil)
The thymol and carvacrol in oregano oil will show antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties that clear the infection causing germs and relieves you from the infection.
Check out more about How Oregano Oil cures Sinus Infection.
Tips and Precautions:
- Quit smoking and protect yourself from the harsh climatic changes and environmental irritants.
- Run a humidifier at night while sleeping to add moisture to the air. You can also use saline nasal spray or sit in a steam filled bathroom to reduce the congestion and clear the nasal passages.
- Also, diffuse essential oils into the air which makes you breathe properly by clearing the sinusitis.
- If you didn’t observe any improvement after 10 – 14 days (or) if your symptoms are getting worse then it’s time to consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Also, it’s best to consult your doctor before using any natural supplements, especially if you’re pregnant or nursing or ongoing any medical concerns or using any OTC medications.
- Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) has powerful antiviral properties that prevent the infection causing germs. Limonoids and naringenin are polyphenols in GSE that destroy the infectious invaders. So, consume GSE or use GSE nasal sprays to get rid of sinusitis.
- Get facial hydrotherapy by simply placing a cloth soaked in cold water (for 1 minute) and then in warm water (for 30 seconds) on the face to reduce the pain and facial pressure. Be sure to start and end the process with a cool cloth.
- Horseradish removes mucus from the nasal passages and it clears the infection by acting as a natural antibiotic. Place a pinch of freshly grated horseradish in the mouth and hold it in the mouth till the flavor disappears and swallow it to clear sinusitis.
- Keep your pets outside, vacuum it at least once per week, attach cheese cloth to the outside of your air vents, use HEPA filter and ionizer to remove most common allergens, etc. to clear the indoor airborne allergens.
- Wear a mask before stepping out and set the car ventilation system to circulate to prevent the outdoor airborne allergens.
- Take plenty of rest to enhance your immunity and thereby to clear the infection quickly.
Try these natural ways to get rid of sinus infection. Do you have any queries or any other successful sinus infection remedies? Then share it with us in the below comments box.