Scalp fungus can happen to anyone due to several reasons like dirt, stress, certain medications, accumulation of dead skin cells, excess sebum, poor circulation, weak immune system, anxiety, certain skin infection, hormonal imbalance, improper hair hygiene, poor diet, etc.
There are several types of fungal infections that affect the scalp but ringworm is the most common one. It exhibits certain symptoms like itchy, split ends, dull and dry hair, frizzy or fragile hair, bald spots, redness on the scalp, dandruff, scalp tenderness, etc.
The fungus can be easily transferred from one person to another through sharing towels or scarves, hats, combs, etc. even pets can also make you get this infection. So, take proper care of your hair and avoid the contact with any infected pets or sharing things with an infected person.
When once you’re infected with this fungus on the scalp then it starts damaging the outer layer of the hair and scalp.
However there are many commercial cosmetic hair care products that treat this fungus on the scalp but the main drawback of using them are they are expensive and tend to dry your hair by making it rough, frizzy and unmanageable.
The best to tackle this scalp fungus or dandruff related or hair fall-related problems is to use natural remedies which are available at home.
Let’s get started…
How to get rid of Scalp Fungus Naturally:
Find the below mentioned best natural home remedies that work effectively in preventing the fungal infection on the scalp and hair without damaging your hair.
Remedy – 1: (Indian Lilac OR Azadirachta Indica Leaves)
Indian lilac or Neem is a popular herb that used as a great remedy for treating fungus and other scalp infections. The antimicrobial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties of neem will kill the fungus on the scalp and soothes the irritation. It also removes the excess sebum, dandruff and relieves your itching to get rid of the scalp fungus and enhance healthy hair growth.
Here are few ways of using Neem for Scalp Fungus.
- Pour at least 3 handfuls of neem leaves in 5 cups of hot water. Let it sit for overnight and strain the neem infused water. Then use this neem infused water to rinse your hair. Repeat it regularly till you get relief from the fungus on the scalp.
- Make a paste by crushing few neem leaves and apply it on the scalp by concentrating more on the fungus affected areas. Wait for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Coconut oil prevents fungus and nourishes your scalp. Mix 1 teaspoon of neem oil in 2 – 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. Stir well and apply it on the scalp and hair at night before bedtime. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave for overnight. Rinse off in the morning and repeat it once in every 3 days to clear scalp fungus.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to deal with scalp fungus. It also helps to balance the pH level of the scalp, which in turn prevent the secretion of excess oil to feed the fungus and also fungus (or microbes) can’t live in the alkaline environment.
Here are few ways of using ACV for scalp fungus.
- Mix small amounts of fresh lemon juice, rosemary, apple cider vinegar and green tea. Stir well and store this mix in a spray bottle. Spray it all over the scalp and wait for at least 40 minutes to rinse off the hair. Regular follow – up of this ACV spray will help you to get rid of scalp fungus and hair fall.
- Stir 1 cup of organic ACV in 4 cups of water and use it to rinse your hair with it before applying shampoo. Continue doing it twice or thrice a week till you get complete relief from this infection.
- Mix 1/2 cup each of ACV and water in a bowl. Use this mix as a final rinse after shampooing your hair. Massage gently and rinse off with lukewarm water after 2 – 5 minutes.
Remedy – 3: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil treats scalp problems by balancing the oil on the scalp to prevent the fungus. It exhibits antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear the fungus and also speed up the recovery process.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and pour this mixture into a squirt bottle.
- Shake it well and after you done with your shampoo, use this mix to spray it all over the hair.
- Massage gently for few minutes and rinse off with water to get rid of the scalp fungus.
Note: Or mix 10 – 15 drops of tea tree oil in 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel. Stir well and apply it on the scalp by massaging it gently for a couple of minutes. Wait for 30 – 45 minutes and rinse off with water. Do it twice a week regularly.
Remedy – 4: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda removes dirt, excess oil and dead cells from the scalp with its exfoliating property. It clears bacteria or fungus on the scalp with its antimicrobial or anti-inflammatory properties. It also alkalizes the scalp to prevent the fungus developing into the infection. It soothes the dry, itchy and irritated scalp.
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water (prefer lukewarm water) and stir well.
- Then add few drops of rosemary essential oil to it and mix well.
- Now add this mix into your regularly used organic shampoo and use it by applying it directly on the scalp.
- Massage for few minutes and rinse off with water thoroughly.
Note: Or you can directly apply the mix (without mixing in your shampoo) on the scalp and massage for few minutes. Wait for 10 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat it once a week regularly.
Remedy – 5: (Lemon Juice)
The citric acid in lemon juice will act as an antifungal agent to clear the fungus on the scalp. It also clears other microorganisms causing damage to the scalp and hair. Regular usage of this lemon juice will also add natural shine to your hair.
- Pour 3 – 4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Stir well and use this lemon water to rinse your hair.
- Finally, end the process with cool water rinse which helps to close the pores on the scalp.
- Continue doing this process regularly till you get rid of the scalp fungus and hair fall.
Remedy – 6: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil possesses antifungal properties that clear the fungi on the scalp along with conditioning your scalp and hair.
- Pour some castor oil in a small bowl and dip a cotton ball in this oil.
- Apply it on all over the infected areas of the scalp and wait for few hours.
- Then rinse your hair with cool water and dry your hair to prevent the spread of fungus and become contagious.
- Continue this castor oil application regularly for thrice a week for best results.
Remedy – 7: (Papaya)
Chitinase is an antifungal enzyme present in papaya will degrade the fungal cell wall and thereby clear them from the scalp. The application of papaya not only helps to clear scalp fungus but also aids in healthy hair growth.
- Take 2 – 3 raw papaya pieces and mash them thoroughly.
- Apply this mashed paste on the scalp by concentrating more on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for about 15 – 20 minutes and then rinse your hair with water.
- Do the same papaya application regularly for once a week till you get complete relief from the scalp fungus.
Note: Or simply crush few papaya seeds and mix it in water to make a paste. Apply it on all over the scalp and wait till it dries completely. Rinse off with shampoo and water.
Other Effective Home Remedies for Scalp Fungus:
Fenugreek has nicotinic, potassium, amino acids and other essential nutrients that help to fight against the fungus and thereby maintains a healthy scalp and hair growth. Mix 1 tablespoon of crushed fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of warm coconut oil. Boil it 15 minutes and cool it. Strain and use it to massage all over the scalp. Wait for overnight and rinse off with water.
Bay leaves (or fig leaves) help you in clearing this scalp fungus. Simply boil few bay leaves in water and cover it. Let it steep for 30 – 45 minutes and strain the mix. Let it cool and apply it on your hair and scalp. Wait for at least 2 hours and rinse off with water. Do it regularly to control the spread of the fungus.
The allicin in garlic helps to clear the fungus and soothes the irritated scalp by reducing the swelling with its anti-inflammatory property. Crush 6 garlic cloves and mix it with 5 – 6 tablespoons of honey. Apply it on the scalp and massage for a couple of minutes. Let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with water and shampoo. Repeat this scalp pack for twice a week.
The application of natural oils (coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil) will help to clear the fungus along with nourishing the hair with its healing compounds and monounsaturated fatty acids. Regular application will relieve the itching, flakiness, and dryness of the scalp.
Mustard seeds (or basil seeds) can also eliminate the scalp fungus naturally. First, rinse off your hair with lukewarm water. Then mix enough water in ground mustard seeds to apply it directly on the scalp. Rinse off with a mild shampoo after 20 – 30 minutes.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you’re suffering from inflammation and redness on the scalp (or) if your symptoms persist then consult your dermatologist for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids like fruit juices prepared with carrots, cucumber, spinach, celery, apples, aloe vera, etc. to flush out the toxins and to treat the scalp fungus. Also, include milk, green vegetables, yogurt, nuts and fresh fruits in their diet.
- Consume healthy and well-balanced diet to kill the scalp. So, include supplements like vitamin E, B-complex and folic acid which help to fight the fungus along with reducing the itch.
- You can control scratching, as it can spread the infection or fungus to other parts of the scalp, instead of reducing the infection.
- Always dry the hair thoroughly, as the fungus will grow more quickly in the wet or damp environment and spreads easily.
- The infected person should not share their things like combs, towels, brushes, pillows, etc. with other, as it is also the means of transferring the fungus.
- Hydrogen peroxide kills the infectious organisms like fungus or yeast effectively on the scalp. So, dilute hydrogen peroxide with water and use it as your cleanser and sanitizer for the scalp to treat scalp fungus.
Hope you will try these natural home remedies for scalp fungus. Do you know any other effective remedies to treat scalp fungus? Then share it with us in the below comments box.