In general, scabs are defined as the natural process that protects your skin from bleeding injuries through the creating of a hard coating. With the appearance of scabs, we came to know that healing process has begun and it becomes a challenging to remove these scars entirely.
After healing the skin, the scabs may remove on its own but few remain on the skin and make you feel embarrassed and ugly. Always remember that never ever physically pick at the scabs, as it increases the chances of getting infection or scar on the skin.
However, there are many expensive cosmetic and OTC creams available in the market but instead of investing money in those harsh chemical based creams why don’t you try some natural ways to get rid of scabs without causing scars or side effects on the skin.
The usage of home remedies will definitely help you in getting rid of scabs on the skin and also heals your skin completely in a natural way that provides long-lasting results.
The most important thing to remember is that before using any of the below-mentioned remedies, make sure that the scab is completely dried without oozing pus for getting faster and effective relief.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Scabs:
Here is the list of home remedies that help you to get complete relief from the scabs. All you need is to follow these remedies for several times to observe the effective results of removing scabs on the skin.
Remedy – 1: (Warm Compress)
A warm compress will help to get rid of scabs by dissolving the scab area with its moisture and also enhance the skin to heal quickly.
- Boil a pot of water for few minutes and take a soft towel to soak in this warm water.
- Wring out the towel to remove excess water and press it on the scabs.
- Press the towel gently onto the scab but don’t pull or scrub your skin, as it causes more scarring or results in infections.
- Repeat the same process for few times daily until you get relief from scabs.
- Remember that after removing scab from the skin, you have to apply Neosporin or bacitracin to heal the scab affected area faster and to reduce the risk of infection and prevent the formation of a new scab.
Note: Or simply soak the scab by using a cotton ball dipped in water. This will soften the scab and make it fall off easily without leaving scars on the skin.
Remedy – 2: (Epsom Salt)
Epsom salt (or magnesium sulfate) is well known for its calming abilities. It relieves the tenderness and reduces the redness caused by the scab. This salt can tighten the scab and soaking in water will moisturize it to remove from the skin.
- Pour some Epsom salt in warm water and stir well until the salt dissolved in this water.
- Soak the scab affected skin area in this water for about 45 – 60 minutes.
- After that, take out the scab area from the water and dry it gently with a soft towel.
- Continue doing the same process regularly until you find the scab removed completely.
Remedy – 3: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda exhibits antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties that help to clear bacteria or fungus living in and around the scab areas. It draws out the scab gently from the skin with its skin tightening property.
- Place 1 – 2 teaspoons of baking soda in a bowl.
- Stir well by adding enough water till it forms a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the scab and its surrounding areas.
- Wait for few minutes to get dried naturally.
- Rinse the skin thoroughly with warm water and continue this application until the scab is removed completely.
- For best results, use this process after soaking in the bath.
Remedy – 4: (Potassium Alum)
The aluminum salt (or potassium alum) acts as a natural astringent, deodorant or styptic agent that work same as baking soda. It tightens the skin where scab is affected and then loosens it. It works well by constricting the surrounding blood vessels.
- Grind a small amount of potassium alum and mix it enough water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the whole scab and leave it for few minutes to dry naturally.
- Continue this process regularly till the scab is gone completely on the skin.
- For best results, follow this process after your bath to get complete relief from scabs.
Remedy – 5: (Honey)
Honey exhibits humectant, antiseptic, antimicrobial and skin soothing properties that kill the bacteria in and around the scab and clean the affected areas. It moisturizes the skin to get rid of scabs quickly without forming scars on the skin.
- Apply raw honey on the scab and leave it for few minutes.
- After that, rinse the area and dry the skin gently with a soft towel.
- Repeat the application of honey regularly until you get rid of scabs.
Remedy – 6: (Tea Tree Oil)
The antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, astringent and antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil will help to cure scabs effectively.
- Dilute few drops of tea tree oil in any carrier oil (or water).
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in this oil mix and apply it gently on the scabs.
- Let it sit for few minutes and you may experience some stinging sensation on the oil applied areas.
- Finally, rinse off with water and repeat it regularly to heal the scabs and the scars on the skin.
Note: Or apply tea tree oil directly on the scab for removing it.
Remedy – 7: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera exhibits antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal the scab. It also improves the circulation within small blood vessels and heals the scabs, scrapes or bruises. Regular application will definitely help to get rid of scab and heals deeper wounds on the skin.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and extract its gel properly.
- Now apply this aloe gel on the wound where scab has occurred on the skin.
- Wait for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Dry the skin gently and continue applying aloe vera gel or juice for 3 – 4 times daily until you get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy – 8: (Plantain Leaves)
The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of plantain leaves will make it as an excellent remedy for treating scabs, cuts, and scars on the skin.
- Extract the juice of 10 plantain leaves and apply it on the scab affected skin areas.
- Leave it for few minutes and repeat the same process regularly to speed up the recovery time.
Remedy – 9: (Onions)
Onion is another effective remedy that used to heal the wound and clear scab with its antimicrobial, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take an onion and cut it.
- Then pound (crush) the chopped onion by mixing 1 teaspoon of raw honey.
- Stir well to make a paste and apply it on the scabs.
- Let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Dry the skin gently and do the same for 3 – 4 times daily to get quick and effective results.
Remedy – 10: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps to maintain proper pH balance of the body and thereby improves cell growth and give relief from the scabs. It also exhibits antimicrobial, astringent, anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of scabs.
- Pour 5 ml of ACV in 50 ml of water and stir well.
- Dip a cotton ball in this water and apply it directly on the scab.
- Leave it for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Do the same process few times daily to notice the removal of scabs without forming scars.
Remedy – 11: (Garlic)
From ancient days, garlic has been used as a natural cure to scabs and scars on the skin with its antimicrobial and antiseptic properties.
- Take 2 – 3 cloves of garlic and blend it with a cup of wine.
- Let it sit for a couple of hours and strain the mix.
- Now apply this mix on the scabs by using a cotton ball.
- Leave for 10 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Make sure that not to leave the garlic mix more than 10 minutes on the skin why because it causes skin irritation.
Know More about How to Get Rid of Nasal Scabs
Tips and Precautions:
- Apply vitamin E oil (or vitamin E rich oils) topically on the scabs and scars to reduce their severity and to remove it quickly.
- Avoid touching the scab frequently, as it results in scarring and increasing the infection.
- Never ever pick at the scab (especially stuck scab), as it will irritate the skin, leaves scars and thereby make it to take a longer time to heal completely.
- Applying makeup on the scab will clog the skin and prolongs its healing time. So, avoid applying makeup to cover the scabs.
- Usage of OTC medications like Neosporin will work well in getting rid of the scab and heals the skin quickly.
- Clean all around the scab with an antiseptic soap and warm water. Dry it and moisten the area with an antibacterial ointment (or petroleum jelly). Then cover the scab with a sterile non-adhesive bandage or gauze wrap. Leave it like that and make sure to do the same dressing process daily until your scab removed completely along with healing your skin.
- Always remember that scabs may itch during the skin healing process, as the new skin may cause itching after the scab has fallen off. It is a normal process in which you should not scratch your skin. At that time, massage your scab affected area with petroleum jelly or moisturizing lotion.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet (includes vitamin C) to heal the skin quickly and prevent the formation of scars after removing scabs.
- Avoid the sun exposure, as the sun’s harmful UV rays will damage the skin and prolongs the healing period.
- Limit or stop alcohol consumption and quit smoking, as they impair the blood flow to chronic wounds and compromises healing.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get relief from the problem, even after using these natural ways for proper diagnose and treatment to get rid of the scabs and to heal the skin completely.
Follow all these natural remedies to get rid of scabs naturally. Do you know any other successful scab removal remedies? Then share it with us in the below comments box.