Throwing away the rusted metals is not always an option!!
Though the tools or any metallic parts are rusted we can still regain its look by some of the home remedies mentioned below.
As said prevention is better than cure, to prevent it from happening we must know the root cause of the problem. So, let us see what is rust and why does it occur?
Rust is a red or brown coloured coating that occurs when metal, oxygen and water comes in contact together and oxidation process takes place. It corrodes the iron and finishes it completely; all that is left out is just rust powder.
Rust can appear on vehicles, bathtubs, garden tools, furniture, utensils etc. which not only spoils its look but makes them useless. So, it is very important to remove the rust before using them.
There are several rust removal chemicals available in the market, which are very harmful to you as well as environment.
So, it is safer to use some natural home remedies that are perfect for getting rid of the rust. They are economical as well as less harmful and moreover rusting is a continuous process, which affects the metals when left unused.
In the below article we have mentioned top 8 easy-to-use methods to get rid of rust naturally.
You can better use 1 or 2 methods at a time for effective and quick results.
Top 8 Natural Methods to Remove Rust from the Metal:
Method 1: White Vinegar:
White vinegar is acidic in nature and one of the powerful remedy to remove the rust from the metal surfaces. It has ability to dissolve the rust that has accumulated on nuts, bolts and other various iron tools.
How to use?
- Take a bowl and pour vinegar into it.
- Now, soak down the rusted metal in this mix for about 24 hours.
- After that remove the metal and wipe away using some thick cloth.
- You can repeat this process whenever you find some rusted metals.
- If the object is too large then, you can directly pour some vinegar on it.
- Leave it untouched for about 20-24 hours.
- Then, you can clean it using some old cloth.
- Take a big piece of cloth and soak down it in the vinegar.
- Then, you can use this cloth and cover the rusted metals that are very big in size.
- Leave it for overnight and you can repeat the method whenever necessary.
- Take some aluminium foil and dip it into the vinegar to scrub the rusted metals and make them free from rust.
Method 2: Salt and Lemon
Lemon has acidic and abrasive nature that removes the rust from the metallic surface and keeps them safe. It is also helpful in removing the other types of stains that usually occur due to the salty water.
How to use?
- Take a bowl and mix lemon juice along with salt.
- Now, pour this liquid on the rusted metal and allow it to sit for few hours.
- Then, you can scrub the surface to remove the rust.
- Sprinkle some salt directly on the surface and then squeeze a lemon and leave it for about 2-3 hours. Afterwards you can remove it using a scrub or rag.
- To remove rust from the stainless steel you can mix lemon juice with some cream of tartar and apply it on the rusted parts. Later, clean it by scrubbing the metal.
- You can mix borax and lemon juice to make a paste and apply it on the metal. Then, scrub it using pumice stone and wash it using some water.
Method 3: Baking soda
Baking soda is one of the commonly found in kitchen which is abrasive in nature and it dissolves the rust particles in it. Thus, baking soda is best to get rid of rust on metals.
How to use?
- Take a bowl and add baking soda along with lemon juice or water and stir well.
- Now, spread this mix all over the metallic surfaces and leave it undisturbed for few minutes.
- Again apply one more layer of the mixture on the metal and scrub it to remove the rust.
- Directly put some baking soda on the rusted metal and scrub it with some brush by sprinkling some water. This method is also effective in removing the rust.
Method 4: Potato
Potato has oxalic acid, which dissolves the rust present on the metal and remove it completely. However, the amount of acid present is less but is effective in removing the rust particles.
How to use?
- Take a potato and cut it into two halves.
- Now, sprinkle some salt on it and scrub the rusted metal using this potato.
- For better results you can sprinkle some more amount of salt while scrubbing the metal.
- Once it is done, wash it with water and wipe with a cloth to dry.
- You can also use baking soda in place of salt and continue the scrubbing process.
- Take a potato and cut it into two halves and dip the chopped side of potato in the dish soap.
- Then, keep this potato on the rusted area and scrub it.
- You can slice down the top layer of the potato and re-use it.
Method 5: Molasses
Molasses are usually used to prepare sweet dishes but they are equally effective in removing the rust from the metal. The acids and chemical present in the molasses remove the rust from the metal and makes it clear.
How to use?
- Take a large bowl and pour 10-12 parts of water to 1 part of molasses.
- Now, keep the rusted metals in this solution and soak them for couple of hours.
- You can remove the metal and check whether the rust has disappeared. If no then soak for some more hours.
- Once the rust is completely gone you can rinse it off using water and wipe dry.
Method 6: Citric acid
The astringent and acidic property of citric acid is helpful in removing the rust from the metal.
How to use?
- Take a mason jar and pour 2 tablespoons of concentrated citric acid.
- Mix thoroughly and soak the rusted metals into the solution.
- Then, you can close the lid of the jar and leave it untouched for about 3-4 hours.
- After that you can remove the metal parts and soak them in the normal water.
- Start scrubbing using a brush and remove all the rust from it.
- Clean the surface using a dry cloth and make the metals free from the traces of rust.
Citric acid is capable of removing the paint from the things. So, be careful and use them wherever necessary.
Method 7: Coca Cola
Coca cola has citric acid in it which has ability to dissolve the rust particles and remove them. But this method is useful in removing the rust in the initial stages.
How to use?
- Take a large bowl and keep all the rusted metals in that.
- Now, start pouring the coca cola on that metal and take aluminium foil to scrub the metal.
- Then, again pour some more coca cola over it and scrub thoroughly to remove the traces of rust.
- You can make use of some cloth and wipe it dry.
- Repeat the process to get rid of rust on the tools.
- You can also make use of the club soda that has acidic nature, which dries the rust and removes it completely from the base.
Method 8: Tamarind water
We all know that tamarind water is used to remove the dirt from the copper and brass vessels. In the same due to its acidic nature, it is useful in removing the rust from the metals.
How to use?
- Take a bowl and put some ripen tamarind and start boiling.
- Then, pour this tamarind water on the rusted metals and leave it for few hours.
- Afterwards, scrub it and rinse off using water. Then, dry the area using cloth.
- You can repeat this process and get rid of rust.
Tips and precautions for removing dust from the metals:
- To remove the rust from the metals you can use toothbrush, sandpapers and other abrasive brushes and scrub the rusted metals.
- Once you remove the rust completely and wash them with water make sure they are dried thoroughly before using.
- If you didn’t find any effect from one method then, you can try with various different methods and achieve good results.
- Always try to remove rust in open place because lot of chemicals get released while doing this process. The chemicals come out in the form of fumes, which are harmful to human body.
- Try to be careful while using vinegar, borax and citric acid because they are highly concentrated, which may be harmful to you. Keep them away from the children and pets.
- Sometimes rust may spoil your clothes too, at that time all you need to do is just pour few drops of lemon and leave it for some time. Then, rinse off using water.
- Scrubbing can also be done using sand paper, wire brush or aluminium foil, which removes the rust completely and makes metal clean.
- To prevent any tool or any part from getting rusted you can just put a thick coat of painting or keep the tools away from moisture and wetness to prevent them from rusting.
- It is always important to keep your objects away from getting rust so, you can apply oil to the tools before storing them or using them.
- When you use vinegar or lemon juice method then, due to acid the tool may turn black. But once you rinse off thoroughly with water the tool gains back its original colour.
- It is always safer to use hand gloves while following these methods to remove the rust because the iron or any metal may hurt you.
- In case, if you get hurt anywhere on the skin then, do not neglect. Consult your doctor and take tetanus injection.
- Rinse off thoroughly after applying vinegar and borax because they are highly acidic and if any small amount is left back then, it is harmful.
- If you cannot immerse the tools in the solutions then, it is better to cover them with the soaked cloth.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Which method can i use to remove rust away from jewellery?
Sometimes we can see rust on the jewellery also so; to remove rust from them you can use white vinegar and lemon methods. You can just apply some vinegar and brush your jewellery or else you can just soak down the jewellery in vinegar.
2. Can i use apple cider vinegar to remove the rust?
Yes, apple cider vinegar is equally effective in removing the rust from the metals all you need to do it just soak down the material in the vinegar solution and leave it for few hours. Afterwards you can take them out and wash using water.
3. Can toothpaste be effective in removing rust from the metals?
Yes, you can use toothpaste to remove the rust from the metals and iron. You can just apply some amount of toothpaste and rub thoroughly on the rusted metal. Later, wash it using water.
4. Which element causes rust faster in metals?
Though there are numerous liquids present but the only liquid that rusts the metal fastest is water. Whenever, any metal is exposed to moist or wetness and left without drying then, metal rusts.
5. Can we paint without removing the rust?
No, it is always safer to remove the rust before painting. You can just remove the rust powder and some extra flakes that have occurred due to rusting. If paint is applied directly on the rusted metal then, it does not sit properly on the metal.
Rust can become very problematic when it starts spreading across your bike parts or windows. So, it is always better to know some of the home remedies that are helpful in removing the rust.
Have you experienced this? Which method did you follow? How was your experience? Do you know any other method? Please write to us the comment section below.
If you have any queries you can write down in the comment section below. Our team of experts will clarify them as soon as possible.