Who doesn’t like to have a flawless, lighter and younger looking skin? But due to stress, pollution, unhealthy poor diet, environmental irritants, aging, prolonged exposure to the sun, dry skin, usage of harsh chemical based cosmetic products, certain skin related medical problems, poor lifestyle habits, etc. will increase the melanin content and thereby make your skin gets dark, pigmented and blemished.
In the commercial skin care products, there are some harmful chemicals like paraben, BHA, lanolin, and BHT that provide an instant glow to your skin quickly but will definitely harm your skin in the longer run. So, don’t rush for a commercial chemical based skin whitening products which are available in the market.
The Mother Nature has provided so many natural ingredients to enhance our beauty. So, use the natural remedies to lighten your skin without any side effects or damage on your skin and in a cost-effective manner.
The general skin care routine for maintaining a healthy and glowing skin is to cleansing (remove dust, oil and other impurities from the skin), exfoliation (that scrub off the accumulated dead skin), toning (tone up the skin to shrink open large pores), Mask (this reenergize and rejuvenate the skin), moisturizing (lock the moisture and nourish your skin).
So, here in this article, we are providing you some of the best natural ingredients that perform the above-mentioned skin care routine and thereby lightens your skin to make it beautiful and glowing.
Home Remedies to Lighten your Skin Naturally:
Have a look at these natural remedies to brighten and lighten your complexion by controlling the melanin production in the body. Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Yogurt)
Yogurt is considered as a by-product of milk that exhibits many essential nutrients required for the skin. It contains lactic acid which in turn helps to exhibit bleaching and exfoliating properties to lighten your skin. Here yogurt acts as a skin cleanser.
Regular usage of yogurt will remove the excess oil, grime and other impurities from the deep layers of the skin to lighten the skin.
- Take some plain unflavored yogurt and spread it on the skin where you’re experiencing dark or dull skin.
- Massage gently for few minutes and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry your skin.
- Repeat the same process for once or twice daily till your skin gets lightened.
- For best and quick results, add some honey or lemon juice with oatmeal to this yogurt before application and stir it to apply all over the skin.
Remedy – 2: (Oranges)
The rich content of vitamin C and bleaching properties in oranges will help to lighten your skin tone. In a study, it is proved that regular consumption of fresh orange juice will improve the overall texture of the skin and keep the skin healthy.
Here are few ways of using orange for lightening your skin.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric powder in 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice. Stir well and apply this mix on the clean face and neck at night before bedtime. Wait for 20 – 30 minutes and rinse your skin with water. You can also apply this mix on the hands and legs. Do it once daily to get rid of the dark skin.
- Dry some orange peels and powder it. Take 1 tablespoon of powdered peeled powder with 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt to make a fine paste. Slather this paste on the skin as a mask where you’ve dark and dull skin. Wait for 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with water to lighten the spots and marks on the skin. Do it once or twice daily.
Remedy – 3: (Sugar)
The fine texture of sugar will make it as an excellent exfoliating agent the clears dead cells and encourage the growth of new skin cells. It removes the cells which are damaged by the sun and also enhance the collagen production by improving blood circulation.
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw honey in 3 tablespoons of sugar (prefer brown sugar) in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a thick scrub paste and apply it as a layer on the skin.
- Then start massaging gently in circular motions for few minutes.
- Let it sit for another few minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Continue doing the same process for twice a week on regular basis to enjoy healthy and glowing skin.
Note: Or simply mix olive oil or coconut oil or essential oils, oatmeal, chocolate or any fruit pulp with this sugar mix and use it as your scrub.
Remedy – 4: (Gram Flour)
Gram flour acts as an excellent exfoliating agent that clears dead skin, excess oil and other impurities on the skin and also encourages the production of new skin cells. It effectively tightens your skin and thereby removes fine lines and wrinkles on the skin.
- Mix enough water (or rose water or raw milk or lemon juice) in 3 teaspoons of gram flour until it forms a thick paste.
- Apply it on the skin and massage gently (like a scrub) for few minutes.
- Leave it for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Dry your skin and continue doing the same process for 2 – 3 times a week on regular basis.
- For best results, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in this Gramflour mix before application.
Remedy – 5: (Lemons)
The vitamin C and acidic nature of lemon will make it work as a natural bleaching agent that encourages your new cell growth and also antioxidants in it help to fight against the free radicals and enhance your skin complexion.
Here are few ways of using lemon to lighten your skin.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in a bowl of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply it directly on the face and skin (or rub the lemon piece directly on the skin). Wait for few minutes and rinse your skin with water. Continue this application regularly to lighten your skin complexion and to prevent the formation of scars on the skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 3 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice until it forms a fine paste. Apply it on the skin where you’ve dark or dullness. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse your skin with lukewarm water. Repeat the same process for once daily.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of powdered milk, raw honey, and fresh lemon juice together in a bowl. Stir to make a fine paste and slather it on the dark skin. Rinse it off with water after 15 – 20 minutes. Dry your skin and continue doing it for once daily or once in every other day. For best results, add 1/2 teaspoon of almond oil to this lemon mix and apply it on the skin.
Note: Make sure that not to apply this lemon juice on the open wounds or sensitive skin, as it causes irritation and burning sensation on the skin.
Remedy – 6: (Aloe Vera Gel)
The rich content of water, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes, etc. will help to hydrate the skin, reduces pigmentation by slowing down the melanin production and moisturizes your skin.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and cut it to extract its gel.
- Apply this fresh aloe vera gel on the face, neck, and hands.
- Massage gently for few minutes and wash it off with water after 30 minutes.
- Continue this process for twice daily to lighten your skin.
Note: Pineapple also helps to lighten your dark skin with its enzymes and vitamin C content. So, grind some pineapple chunks to make a paste and add few drops of fresh lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel in it. Stir well and apply it on the skin as a mask and rinse off few minutes.
Remedy – 7: (Papaya)
Papaya is an excellent fruit for the skin care, as it not only lightens your skin complexion with its bleaching property but also provides your skin with all essential nutrients that prevent skin from sagging and thereby makes your skin glow naturally.
Here are few ways of using papaya as a fruit mask to enhance your natural beauty.
- Take few pieces of papaya (ripe) and blend it to make a fine paste. Apply it on the skin as a mask and wait for 20 – 25 minutes. After it gets dried, rinse your skin with water and pat dry. To grab extra benefits, you can add honey, rice flour, gram flour or oatmeal to this papaya before application.
- Papaya has a cleansing property that cleanses your skin to clear impurities acting as a shade to your beauty. So, consume papaya as a fruit to enhance your inner beauty.
- Take a ripe papaya and mash it to make a paste and add 1 cup of fresh lemon juice to it. Stir well and use it to massage it all over the face and neck. Wait for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water. Repeat the same process for once a week on the regular basis till you observe results.
Note: You can also use other fruits like pineapple, strawberry, avocado, apples, kiwi, banana and other berries other than papaya to enhance your natural skin glow.
Remedy – 8: (Milk)
Milk acts as a wonderful cleanser that makes your skin smooth and radiant and also suitable for all skin types. It contains fat-soluble enzymes lipase that clears the oil-soluble impurities and protein-based impurities from the skin.
Here are few ways of using raw milk to enhance your natural skin glow.
- Soak a cotton ball in a bowl filled with raw milk and wring out to remove the excess milk. Use this ball to wipe out the skin and let it sit for few minutes until it dries. Wash the skin with lukewarm water and dry it. Do the same for twice daily.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 teaspoon of milk cream until it forms a thick paste. Apply it on the skin and wait for few minutes until it dries. Then rinse your skin with lukewarm water and repeat the same application regularly for skin whitening.
- Simply grind oatmeal into a powder and mix with enough milk (or yogurt or buttermilk or fruit pulp) to make a fine paste and use it massage your skin for few minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water followed by cold water. Do it 2 – 3 times a week regularly.
- Rice flour acts as a sunscreen and protects your skin from harmful sun’s UV rays. Mix few drops of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of milk in 2 tablespoons of rice flour till it forms a thick paste. Spread it on the clean face, neck, legs, and hands. Rinse off with water after 20 minutes and repeat it regularly.
Remedy – 9: (Cucumber)
Cucumber acts as a toner that removes the leftover bits of dirt and oil from the skin. The astringent property of cucumber will shrink your open pores and hydrates your skin.
Here are few ways of using cucumber to bind your collagen and makes your skin firm and shine with an even tone.
- Grate cucumber and extract its juice. Apply this fresh cucumber juice on the skin and leave it to dry naturally. Wash the cucumber applied areas with water and repeat it twice daily.
- Chop cucumber into slices and place it directly on the dark areas of the skin. Let it sit for about few minutes and remove them. Rinse off with lukewarm water and continue it for twice daily.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of fresh cucumber juice and fresh lemon juice and apply it on the face and neck. Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes or till it dries completely. Rinse with water and repeat it once daily.
Remedy – 10: (Shea Butter)
Shea butter has fatty acids and natural vitamins that help to nourish and moisturize your dry skin and also protect it from external irritants by forming a protective layer on the skin.
- Take a small amount of shea butter and apply it all over the skin.
- Massage gently all over the skin and leave it for few hours or overnight.
- Repeat it regularly to nourish and moisturize your skin and thereby enhance your natural beauty.
Note: Or simply apply cocoa butter or natural oils on the skin and massage gently for few minutes. Leave it for few hours to overnight and rinse off with water. Repeat it daily to get rid of the dark and dull skin.
Other Successful Remedies:
- Both baking soda and activated charcoal act as excellent cleansers that help to remove the dust, oil grimes, dirt, toxins and other impurities in the skin pores. Mix few drops of water in activated charcoal or baking to make a fine paste. Apply it on the skin and rinse off with lukewarm water after 5 – 10 minutes. Do it regularly to enjoy a healthy and glowing skin.
- Sea salt or Epsom salt or kosher salt exfoliates your skin to remove the dead skin cells, toxins and other impurities along with controls the sebum production with its grainy texture. Mix 5 drops of essential oil and 1/2 cup of almond oil in 1 cup of salt. Stir and store it in an airtight container. Apply this mix to scrub your skin while taking bath and rinse with water. Dry your skin and do it twice a week regularly.
- Coffee is an excellent exfoliating agent that reduces cellulite temporarily by improving blood circulation and soothes your skin. Mix 1/2 teaspoon each of melted coconut oil and finely ground coffee beans until it forms a fine scrub paste. Spread it on the skin and massage gently for few minutes. Rinse off your skin with warm water and then cold water. Do it 2 – 3 times a week until you get relief from the darkness.
- Also, apply witch hazel and rose water (acts as toners) by simply applying it to the affected skin areas by using a cotton ball. Leave it till it dries completely on the skin and rinse off with water.
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and to flush out the harmful toxins from the skin.
- Consume foods that are rich in vitamin C, magnesium, omega fatty acids, flavonoids, etc. that help to lighten your skin and clean the pores.
- Intake of certain foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, beetroots, soybeans, leafy greens, dark chocolates and other foods which are yellow or red in color to prevent the attack of free radicals and to glow inside.
- Avoid the intake of oily, junk or fried foods, as they exhibit negative impact on the health and thereby increases your skin problems.
- Regularly apply sunscreen lotion before stepping out to prevent the damage caused by sun’s harmful rays.
- Rinse your skin at night before bedtime to remove the makeup and also to close the skin pores to prevent skin problems.
- Always choose natural creams, lotions, and other skin care products which are free from harsh chemicals or contains less chemicals.
- Be gentle on your skin and use natural product based soaps, lotions, creams, face washes, etc.
- Exercise regularly, sleep for 7 hours and perform yoga and meditation to get rid of stress and thereby to enhance your natural glow.
Hope you find this article useful and do you know any other successful natural remedies for skin lightening? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.