Do you often keep rubbing your eyes frequently? Not only body but even your eyes feel more tired. Being awake for long working hours will aggravate these red eyes.
Subconjunctival hemorrhage, stye, blepharitis, asthma, eczema, allergic rhinitis, etc. are other names of red, irritated, itchy and bloodshot eyes. The eyes release histamines after getting contact with any dust particles, mold or allergens and thus result in the swollen blood vessels in the white part of the eyes which are enlarged and irritated causing redness.
There are many factors that cause these red eyes. Some most common one includes…
- Allergies (ocular allergy)
- Infections (Conjunctivitis or pink eyes, Blepharitis)
- Lack of sleep
- Alcohol and its beverages
- Excessive rubbing of eyes
- Over usage of contact lenses
- Respiratory problems (cold, hay fever and flu)
- Dry eyes
- Warm climate
- Computer vision syndrome (sitting in front of systems for long hours)
- Hormonal changes
- Swimming in chlorinated water
- Eye injuries
- Body’s natural release of histamine
One may experience certain signs and symptoms like severe pain, blurry vision, light sensitivity, halos in the vision field, etc. while suffering from red eyes. It should be treated on time or else it can result in some serious problems that include blindness.
Stop worrying why because worrying will increase and worsen the problem rather than reducing. The Mother Nature has given many natural remedies that definitely help you to get complete cure from red and itchy eyes.
However over the counter medications and eye drops are helpful but the usage of natural remedies will give long lasting results without any side effects or much cost. Make sure to consult your eyes for proper diagnose and treatment and follow these remedies to clear these red eyes.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Red Eyes:
Here are some best and effective natural remedies that help you to treat red and itchy eyes at home without any side effects. All you need is to follow them regularly till you healed red eyes completely.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Cold and Warm Compress)
The alternative treatments of cold and hot compress on the affected eye area will help to soothe the irritation and relieves tiredness to get rid of red and itchy eyes.
- First go with cold compress, wrap few ice cubes in a cotton cloth and place it on your eyes for a couple of seconds. Repeat the same action for few times.
- Then go for warm compress by simply filling a bowl with warm water and dip a cloth in it. Squeeze out the cloth and wring it to place it over your eyes for 5 – 10 minutes. Rewet the cloth and repeat the same process.
- For extra results, use baby shampoo to wash the eyelids to remove crusts and to relax your eyes.
- Or simply splash some cold water on the eyes or place cold compress over your eyes to get rid of red eyes.
- Placing chilled spoons on each of the eye lid till the spoon gets warm and then replace them with another set of spoons. Repeat it regularly until the redness and swelling gets disappeared.
- Applying cold compress prepared with raspberry leaves tea over the eyes for 10 – 15 minutes. Repeat it regularly till redness persists.
Remedy – 2: (Rose Water)
The naturally prepared rose water will possess anti-inflammatory and anti-infective properties that help to get rid of eye conjunctivitis and red eyes. This herbal water can be used as a eye drops to soothe the irritated and tired eyes.
Here are few ways of using rose water for red eyes.
- Pour few drops of rose water in a small bowl and soak a cotton ball in it. Then take out the cotton ball and place it all over the eye lids. Leave it for about 15 minutes and repeat the same for twice daily.
- Cut a cucumber slice and dip it in rose water. Then place the cucumber slices over the eye lids. The water content in cucumber and the cooling effect of rose water will help to get rid of eye redness. Repeat the same action regularly until you get rid of the problem.
- Pour 2 – 3 drops of rose water in your eyes and close your eyes for few minutes. Finally, rinse off with water and dry it gently.
- Rinsing your eyes with rose water will work as an antiseptic that helps to cure eye infections and thereby reduces your red eyes along with eye puffiness.
Remedy – 3: (Cucumber)
Cucumber has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties that help to soothe your irritated red eyes.
- Place a cucumber in refrigerator for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- After that, take it off and cut it into slices.
- Place these chilled cucumber slices over your eyelid and leave it for few minutes.
- This process will help to soothe the irritated and tired eyes.
- Regular follow up of this process will definitely help you to get rid of the swollen and red eyes.
Remedy – 4: (Tea Bags)
The tannins present in tea will help to reduce the eye swelling due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that soothes your eyes and reduce the redness.
- For this process, you need used tea bags.
- Refrigerate few used tea bags for few minutes.
- Place these tea bags on each eye lid for few minutes.
- After few minutes, take out the tea bags and repeat the same process for few times daily until you get rid of the problem.
- For best results, use some herbal tea bags like green tea, chamomile tea, etc.
- Also, rinse your eye area with this herbal tea to soothe your tired eyes.
Remedy – 5: (Milk and Honey)
The amino acids in milk protein exhibit antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help a lot in curing eye infections. Honey is another soothing agent that not only treats irritation but also help to clear the eye infections.
Here are few ways of using milk for treating red eyes.
- Take some raw cold milk in a small bowl. Soak a cotton pad in this cold milk and squeeze it. Place it all over the eyes and rub it gently. Let it sit for about at least 15 minutes and rinse your eyes with water. Continue this cold milk compress for twice daily until you get rid of the redness in eyes.
- Mix equal quantities of raw honey and cold milk in a small bowl. Stir well and pour 2 – 3 drops of this mix in each of your eyes. Close and relax for few minutes. Continue doing this process till you get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Salt Water)
Salt water is another effective remedy that treats red eyes that are caused by allergies or respiratory problems. Salt is an antibiotic and dries out the mucus causing allergies or infections in the respiratory tract and thereby deals with red eyes.
- Take some water and boil it for few minutes.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of salt in it and stir well until the salt dissolves completely in this water.
- Let it cool to reach room temperature and use this salt water to rinse your eyes for several times daily.
- Continue doing this action for 2 – 3 days until the symptoms of your red eyes are disappeared completely.
Remedy – 7: (Potato)
Raw potato is another healthy remedy used to treat eye related problems like red eyes, tired eyes, puffy eyes, dark circles, etc. It has a rich content of many essential vitamins and minerals along with antioxidants (vitamin E) that help to keep the eye infections at bay.
- Cut a potato into thin slices (or simply grate it).
- Refrigerate the mix for few minutes and place this chilled potato all over the eyes.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and take off that mix.
- Repeat it regularly for once or twice daily until you get complete relief from the red eyes.
Note: For best results, perform this action at night before bed time regularly.
Remedy – 8: (Fenugreek)
Fenugreek contains trigonella foenum graecum diosgenin, a steroidal saponin that helps to reduce the inflammation and irritation. It acts as an antiseptic, antimicrobial and antioxidant agent that helps to clear the red eyes effectively.
Here are few ways of using fenugreek seeds for treating red eyes.
- Soak few fenugreek seeds in a bowl filled with water for overnight (or 7 – 8 hours). Grind these seeds into a fine smooth paste and apply this paste on your closed eyes. Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with water. Do the same process for once daily for 2 – 3 days.
- Simply warm few fenugreek seeds and wrap it in a cloth properly. Apply this directly on the eye area and leave it for few minutes. Repeat it regularly to cure your pain, redness and swelling.
Remedy – 9: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has malic acid and helps a lot in balancing your pH levels to get rid of bacterial and other microbial actions to get rid of redness and itching.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV in 1 cup of water and stir well.
- Then dip a cotton ball in this mix and use it to clean the eyes.
- Let it sit for few minutes to air dry and then rinse the eyes with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the same process regularly to get best relief from the problem.
Note: Or simply rinse your eyes with baking soda water (1/4 tablespoon of baking soda in 1/2 cup of water) regularly to combat the infection causing redness in the eyes.
Remedy – 10: (Witch Hazel)
The astringent and anti-inflammatory properties of witch hazel helps to reduce redness, swelling and inflammation of eyes. Regular follow up will definitely help you to ease inflammation, swelling, redness and other discomforts in the eye area.
- Pour some witch hazel extract in a small bowl.
- Take a clean cotton ball and dip it in this mix.
- Apply it on the eyes as your cold compress for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Or simply use it to rinse your eyes directly and pat dry.
Remedy – 11: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera contains ethanol and ethyl acetate that are widely used as an extracts in eye drops to avert inflammation. It also possess antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to accelerate the treatment for red eyes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 2 – 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel in 1/2 cup of elderberry blossom tea.
- Stir well and use this mix to rinse your eyes.
- Do the same process twice daily for 2 – 3 days until the redness fades away.
Note: Or simply apply aloe vera gel on the affected eye area to soothe the irritation, redness and discomforts caused by red eyes.
Tips and Precautions:
- Prolong spending of time on television, computer screen or electronic gadgets will make your eyes feel tired and may lose its capability of vision range. So, avoid spending time on these gadgets for a longer time and wear anti-glare glasses and adjust your seat in the level of computer screen.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids like smoothies, fresh fruit or vegetables, herbal teas, etc. will help to flush out the toxins and to hydrate your body (including your eyes) to get rid of red eyes.
- Consume a balanced diet which is rich in omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, vitamins (A, B2, B6, C, & E), minerals (lutein, zinc, zeaxanthin, calcium, iron), beta carotene, etc. should be included in your daily diet to keep your eyes healthy and to control the infection.
- Consuming fresh fruit or vegetable juices will help to reduce redness or itching in eyes. For best results, consume fresh carrot and spinach juice.
- Fennel tea is a great eye tonic that enhances eye health. Simply boil 1/2 tablespoon of fennel seeds in 1 cup of water for about 25 minutes. Strain it and use this cool water to rinse your eyes.
- Massaging all over the eye area (including eye lid) with natural oils (like castor oil, coconut oil or almond oil) will help to fade away the redness and irritation.
- Adequate rest is essential to retain necessary moisture in the eyes and to prevent dry, red or itchy eyes.
- Rinse your hands frequently and avoid rubbing your eyes to get relief from the redness of eyes.
- Wear goggles while going out or driving to protect your eyes from direct sunlight, pollution, dust and other harmful chemicals.
- If you’re allergic to any substance then avoid getting that into your contact why because it may aggravate the symptoms and worsens the problem.
- Quit smoking and stop drinking alcohol, as both these will increase the risk of getting dry eyes, diabetic retinopathy, cataract, infant eye disease, macular degeneration, etc.
- Splash some cold water on the eyes as many times as possible to soothe the itching, redness and dryness caused due to allergies.
- Usage of other effective remedies like eye drops (contains histamine), vasoconstrictors, goldenseal, cold bread, artificial tears, etc. will help to soothe the irritated and red eyes.
All these natural home remedies will help a lot in getting rid of red eyes and other minor eye irritation. Even though symptoms persist then don’t forget to consult your doctor (eye specialist) to check the eye vision and eyelids for proper diagnose and use antibiotic eye drops or ointments (if required).
Hope you will give a trial to these natural remedies for treating red eyes. Do you know any other successful remedies for getting rid of red eyes? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply