The environmental factors are one major thing that has a strong effect on our lives. Do you know that heavy pollution in the air will result in lung disorders?
Lungs are one main and important organ of the body that we have to take care for its proper functioning. Lungs are an essential organ in the respiratory tract that performs functions like taking oxygen when inhaling and releasing carbon dioxide when exhaling without any rest.
So, to stay healthy, we have to cleanse our lungs regularly, as lung diseases are becoming most common in these days. We all are aware that serious lung problems will affect your health poorly and it takes a long time to cure those lung problems.
Cleansing your lung not only detoxify the lungs but also cleanse the delicate linings of the lungs and bronchial passages in the respiratory system, where there is an accumulation of harmful organisms, environmental toxins, and other irritants.
Instead of using over the counter medications or treatment for cleansing your lungs, you can choose some natural remedies along with proper diet and healthy lifestyle habits at home to promote proper functioning of the lungs, reduce the swelling and inflammation (if any) and rejuvenate its functioning.
Regular usage of these natural remedies will help to clear the mucus from the airways and thereby improves circulation to the lungs for its healthy functioning.
Home Remedies to Cleanse your Lungs:
There are many natural home remedies that effectively cleanse your lungs and enhance its proper functioning along with getting rid of many respiratory problems. Always remember that you will enhance the effectiveness of natural remedies when followed with a healthy diet and proper lifestyle habits.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Deep Breathing)
Deep breathing will help to deliver more nourishing oxygen to the body by improving the lung capacity. This exercise not only strengthens your lungs but also clears the airways and respiratory tract, which in turn increases the energy and reduce your stress.
- First of all, lie down flat on the back in any comfortable place.
- Place your hands on the stomach at the base of the rib cage and close your eyes.
- Slowly breathe in deep through the nose while counting to 5 numbers.
- Try to hold the breath for 2 seconds and then slowly exhale it to a count of 5.
- Continue doing this breathing exercise 9 – 10 times per session and repeat this exercise for 2 – 3 times daily to strengthen and purify your lungs.
Note: Also, practice yoga, pranayama, and meditation daily to flush out the impurities from the lungs and body.
Remedy – 2: (Ginger)
Ginger has several compounds that work well in detoxifying your lungs and make it function properly to eliminate the pollutants from the air passages. It improves blood circulation and oxygen supply to the body. In a study, it is proved that chemo – preventive effect of the ginger will work for the treatment of lung cancer.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of sliced grated ginger in a pan filled with 1 – 1 ½ cups of water.
- Turn on the heat and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add some fresh lemon juice and honey (as per your taste) to this tea.
- Stir and drink it 2 – 3 times daily to grab healthy and strong lungs.
- Also, mix the ginger powder in your bathtub filled with warm water and indulge in this water for about 30 minutes to detox your lungs and body, as it promotes sweating and thus results in the exclusion of toxins from your body.
- Or include ginger (in any form) in your daily diet. Make sure that people taking high blood pressure medication, pregnant, children or heart problem should consult their doctor before taking.
Remedy – 3: (Castor Oil)
The homemade castor oil pack will help to cleanse and detox your lungs effectively. This pack will stimulate the elimination of waste and draw out the toxins from the lungs, digestive system, uterus, and liver. It reduces the inflammation and improves lymphatic circulation.
For best results, always use organic, cold pressed castor oil. Here is the process, which you have to follow.
- Soak 2 – 3 pieces of wool flannel in 1 cup of warm castor oil.
- Lie down on the large plastic sheet and place these soaked wool flannels on the chest and sides that covers your lung areas.
- Then cover these flannels with a large plastic sheet and place a heating pad on the plastic sheet for an hour or two.
- After that, remove the packs and wash your body with warm water to clear the oil residue and to cleanse your lungs.
- Continue applying this castor oil pack for twice a week for at least a month to detox and purify your lungs.
Remedy – 4: (Oregano)
The rich source of carvacrol and terpenes compounds in oregano makes it as an effective lung cleansing agent. It not only reduces congestion and inflammation in the lungs but also improves nasal passage airflow and thereby healthy respiratory tract.
Here are few ways of using oregano to detoxify your lungs.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of fresh or dried oregano in 1 cup of hot water and let it steep for 5 – 7 minutes. Strain and drink this oregano tea for twice daily while suffering from asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory problems to detox your lungs.
- Pour few drops of oregano oil in 1 glass of warm milk or tea and stir well. Drink this for at least once daily to detoxify your lungs.
- You can use oregano (either fresh or dried form) in your cooking regularly.
Remedy – 5: (DIY Natural Drink to Cleanse Lungs from Nicotine)
Smoking (or) the intake of tobacco (or) nicotine products is most harmful habits that will have a detrimental effect on every organ in the body, especially for lungs. This is one major reason for lung cancer and also results in certain health conditions like asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory problems.
This is a magical drink that helps you in reducing the risk of getting cancer and lung disorders. You can prepare this drink at home with simple ingredients. Here is the detailed process.
- Pour 1 liter of water in a container and place it on the heat.
- Add 400 grams of sugar to this water and wait till the water starts boiling.
- Then add 1 small piece of ginger root, 2 tablespoons of turmeric, 400 grams of garlic (peeled and chopped) in this sugar water.
- Simmer for 5 – 7 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool for few minutes and remember that you should drink it at normal temperature.
- Drink – take 2 tablespoons of this mix for twice daily on an empty stomach, once in the morning and once in the evening after last meal to cleanse your lungs naturally from the effect of nicotine.
- Regular follow-up will make your lungs clean all the toxins and work effectively.
Remedy – 6: (Peppermint)
Peppermint (both leaves and oil) helps to relax the smooth muscles of the respiratory tract with its menthol content. This, in turn, helps to promote proper breathing and thereby clear the congestion in the upper respiratory tract. It exhibits expectorant and antispasmodic properties.
Here are few ways of using peppermint to cleanse your lungs.
- Take 3 – 5 fresh peppermint leaves and wash it off thoroughly. Place it in your mouth and start chewing slowly to enjoy healthy and strong lungs. Continue it daily for best results.
- Pour few drops of peppermint oil in a pot filled with hot water. Inhale the steam emitted from this hot water slowly by covering your head till pot with the help of a towel to prevent the escape of steam.
- Prepare peppermint tea by adding 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves in 1 cup of hot water mug. Cover it and let it steep for 5 – 10 minutes. Strain the tea and drink it by adding some honey or lemon juice to it. Drink it 2 – 3 times daily to enhance the functioning of your lungs.
Note: If you’re suffering from gallstones or gallbladder problems, then avoid using this peppermint herb for lungs detoxification.
Remedy – 7: (Eucalyptus Essential Oil)
Eucalyptus oil exhibit potent decongestant, expectorant and antiseptic properties that help to fight congestion, ease a cough and soothe the irritated sinus passages, which in turn beneficial for the healthy functioning of the lungs.
- Pour 5 – 10 drops of eucalyptus oil in a pot filled with hot water.
- Take a towel to cover your head (bend over the pan) and start inhaling the steam.
- Inhale the steam slowly for about 5 – 10 minutes and continue this inhalation for twice daily to cleanse your lungs along with clearing the congestion.
The foods which we eat will also have an impact on the overall health of the body organs, including lungs. Here is the diet plan for those who want body’s natural cleansing mechanisms and to strengthen their immune system.
- Begin your day with 1 glass of lemon water with honey and drink plenty of normal water throughout the day to hydrate the organs and to cleanse them properly.
- Consume foods that are rich in vitamin C like bell peppers, kiwi, tomatoes, berries, grapefruit, pineapples, broccoli, etc.
- Eat antioxidant-rich foods like cayenne pepper, onion, ginger, garlic, turmeric, green tea, oregano, apples, etc.
- Consume foods that are rich in folate (lentils & beans), potassium (oranges, cantaloupe, banana, sweet potato, spinach, figs, carrots, tomato, apricots, dates, etc.), monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats rather than Trans fat or saturated fats.
- Avoid the intake of dairy products, as this will make the body to exclude the toxins during the cleansing process.
- Intake of natural beverages like green tea (or mullein tea or herbal teas), fruits (carrot juice in between breakfast and lunch, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, etc.) in your daily diet will strengthen the lungs functionality.
- Avoid the intake of sodium, caffeinated, carbonated and alcoholic beverages, as they dehydrate the body and puts pressure on your lungs.
- Avoid consuming certain foods like processed meat, fast foods, frozen convenience foods, cheese, etc. which triggers mucus production and thereby lung problems.
- Always eat more alkaline foods like root vegetables, almonds, leafy greens, watermelon, chestnuts, Brazil nuts, curry, cinnamon, turmeric, berries, artichokes, walnuts, fish (salmon), grapes, etc.
- Adding chlorophyll to your diet will help to cleanse the blood and tissues and thereby increase the uptake of oxygen levels in the body. So, consume wheatgrass juice, sprouted seeds, blue-green microalgae, spirulina, etc.
- Consume cruciferous vegetables, bright colored vegetables, omega – 3 fatty acids, vitamin D rich foods, etc. to maintain healthy and strong lungs.
You have to change your lifestyle habits to maintain healthy and strong lungs. For this, you have to follow these tips, which are mentioned below.
- Air is the main aspect that has a huge impact on the health of your lungs. So, you should get a control over the outdoor or indoor air which you breathe. Avoid outdoor air (pollution) and spend most of the time in improving the indoor air quality.
- Do you know that indoor air is as much contaminated as outdoor places due to the regular use of chemical-based air fresheners or cleaners? So, ensure adequate ventilation, usage of a good quality humidifier, growing indoor plant like a spider plant, aloe vera, peace lily, fern, dracaena, bamboo palm, English ivy, etc.
- Keep your home as no – smoking zone for the health of your overall family members.
- Make sure to clean the house regularly using a vacuum cleaner, rotating brushes, and good quality filter and also ensure regular dusting and mopping of floors to clear dirt and dust.
- Stay in a place where there is adequate ventilation that makes you breathe the natural air peacefully without any pollution.
- Exercise regularly, especially in outdoors or in open areas where you’re free from pollution or traffic (prefer in the morning) to strengthen your body and detox your lungs. Exercises like walking, running, swimming, jogging, cycling or biking and other aerobic exercises has to be performed regularly.
- Hot water shower or simply sitting in a sauna for about 15 – 20 minutes will help you to aid in total body detoxification, including your lungs and helps for proper functioning.
- Quit smoking, e-cigarettes and the intake of tobacco or nicotine products along with exposure to secondhand smoke, as it inhibits the lungs functioning and damage it severely that may develop the risk of lung infections or cancer.
- In general, most people feel stressed after quitting smoking. So, relax your body with meditation and massage that help to increase the lymph circulation and thereby strengthens your immunity to clear the toxins from the body. All you need is to inhale and exhale the air slowly and deeply to get rid of this problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Licorice exhibits antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce the inflammation in the bronchial tubes and protect the lungs from getting infections. So, drink licorice tea for 2 – 3 times regularly.
- Usage of lobelia herb will help you to cleanse and relax your lungs with its alkaloid that promotes the phlegm expulsion by thinning the mucus. You can take this herb in the form of tea or tincture but make sure to consult an herbal practitioner for proper dosage.
- Playing a wind instrument will help to increase the strength and endurance of your lungs. So, choose that one to enhance your lung functioning.
- Avoid staying in highly polluted and industrialized areas to protect your lungs and overall body from the pollution, chemicals, and other environmental irritants.
- Sitting or standing up straight will help you to breathe properly and thus your lungs gain its strength. Perform any exercises like sitting on a chair with back straight and lift your arms above the head and breathe deeply to expand its capacity.
- Being overweight will exhibit a negative impact on the health in multiple ways, including lungs health. So, make sure to maintain the proper weight for easing the heart, abdominal, diaphragm, oxygen delivery functioning in the body and thereby to detox your lungs properly.
- Consult your doctor if you’re suffering from any health problems that may result in lung disorders for proper diagnosis and treatment.
You can detoxify or cleanse your lungs with the combination of above mentioned natural remedies, diet and lifestyle habits. Do you any other successful ways to cleanse your lungs? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.