Waking up with puffy eyes will make us embarrassed and frustrated, as it reminds us about our health and lifestyle. Puffy eyes have become a common problem for most of us.
Various reasons like aging, genetics, lack of sleep, hormonal changes, sinusitis, poor diet, excessive crying, stress, environmental changes, allergic reactions, etc. will make the natural fats and fluids to migrate down to our lower lids and thereby causes puffy and swollen eyes.
Puffy eyes make the people look ill and tired and mild swelling, saggy or loose skin, dark circles, etc. are some symptoms for puffy eyes.
Don’t worry, the puffy eyes can be easily treated at home with some simple natural remedies without spending money on expensive cosmetic products.
Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes:
Here are the best remedies for puffy eyes. Follow these remedies along with proper lifestyle habits and diet to get rid of puffy eyes easily. Let’s get started.
Remedy – 1: (Cold Compress)
The cold compress helps to constrict the blood vessels and thereby makes proper fluid circulation and lessens the swelling. But remember that not to apply extreme cold to the skin around the eyes.
Here are some ways of placing cold compress for treating puffy eyes.
- Placing a cold spoon will tighten the skin around the eyes. Refrigerate few metal spoons for 10 – 15 minutes. Hold the back side of the cold spoons against the eye for few minutes. Replace the old one with cold one whenever the spoon becomes warm. Repeat it twice daily till puffy eyes are cleared.
- Rinsing your face (eyes) will relieve you from tiredness, pain, and swelling. Rinse your face with several splashes of cold water. Continue doing the same process for few times daily.
- Fill few ice cubes in a small bag and wrap it with a washcloth. Then place it on your eyes for few seconds and continue the same process till you get complete relief from the problem.
- You can go the cold compress by using a bag of frozen peas or vegetables to get rid of puffy eyes.
- Milk soothes and cools the skin and reduces the water retention, which causes puffiness. Dip cotton balls in chilled milk and dab it over the eyes. Remove the ball after 20 – 30 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat it once or twice daily till you get relief from puffy eyes.
Remedy – 2: (Tea Bags)
Tannins in tea have mild diuretic nature that clears water retention causing puffy eyes. It has an astringent property that helps to tighten the skin, relieves redness, swelling and gives relief from puffy eyes.
- Place 2 used tea bags in the refrigerator for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Lie down in a comfortable place and put this chilled tea bags over your closed eyelids.
- Cover the tea bags with a soft cloth and wait for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Then remove the tea bags and continue the same process for few times daily.
Remedy – 3: (Cucumber)
Cucumber has natural astringent property along with enzymes that help to reduce the inflammation and tightens the skin to reduce puffy eyes and dark circles.
- Cut a chilled cucumber into thick slices (or) refrigerate the cucumber slices for 10 minutes.
- Place these cold cucumber slices on the eyelids for 10 minutes.
- Remove it once the slices become warm and continue the same for several times daily.
Remedy – 4: (Potato)
Potato treats puffy eyes with its catecholase enzyme that helps to reduce the water retention causing puffy eyes. It tightens the puffiness and swelling with its astringent and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cut a cool potato into thick slices and place in over closed eyes.
- Wait for few minutes and remove the slices when it becomes warm.
- Do the same process twice daily (once at night before bedtime) till you get relief from the problem.
Note: Or simply grate a potato and pour it in a clean cloth. Tie up the cloth and place the cloth over eyelids for few minutes and continue the process till you get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 5: (Egg White)
Egg white has skin tightening properties that retain the fluid causing puffy eyes. It also relieves you from dark circles and wrinkles.
- Separate the egg white from 2 eggs and whip it till you get a stiff consistency.
- Then add few drops of witch hazel (a natural astringent) and apply it under the eyes using a brush or soft cloth.
- Let it dry for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Do the same process once daily for few days till you cleared the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Salt)
Salt water helps for fluid retention, similarly as osmosis to reduce swelling and puffiness under your eyes.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl filled with 4 cups of warm water.
- Stir well and soak cotton balls or eye pads in this water and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Place it on the puffy eyes for few minutes and repeat it regularly till you get relief from the problem.
- Or simply use a neti pot to get rid of nasal irrigation and upper respiratory problems which in turn results in puffiness under the eyes.
- Avoid excess intake of salt which results in the formation of fluids in the body and thereby results in puffy eyes.
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water along with fresh fruit and vegetables to keep your body stay hydrated and prevent water retention by flushing out the toxins from the body.
- Reduce the intake of salt along with caffeinated and carbonated beverages, as they cause dehydration and further results in puffy eyes.
- Sleep at regular intervals of time for at least 7 – 8 hours. Keep your head elevated while sleeping and also sleep on your back side rather than on your side or stomach. So, daily have some tight sleep in a right way to treat puffy eyes.
- Massage all around the eyes gently for few minutes using your hands to displace the trapped fluid and make them go away from your eye area. Do it every morning for best results.
- Applying aloe vera gel or strawberries slices (or paste) under the eyes will help to reduce pain, irritation, and swelling caused due to puffy eyes.
- Relax yourself for a couple of minutes after working in front of computers or electronic screens.
- Always keep your surroundings, especially bed covers clean and also use hypoallergenic, fragrance-free soaps if you’re having allergies.
- You can also apply mint juice or rose water or tomato or vitamin E oil to your lower eyelids for reducing the puffiness.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you’re experiencing pain, burning sensation, itching or blurred vision for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these natural ways to treat puffy eyes. Do you know any other successful remedies? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply