Did you felt that anything has obstructed in your ears and affecting your hearing capability? Then you’re suffering from plugged ear problem. The middle part of the ear is connected to the back of the nose through Eustachian tubes.
This tube drains the fluids out of the ears and thus equalizes the pressure between the middle and outer ear. It also helps for proper functioning and this problem arises when this tube gets blocked due to the sinus infection, rapid changes in pressure, allergies, excessive buildup of ear wax, etc.
Blocked nose, accumulation of water within the ear, cold, flu, etc. are some other triggers for plugged ears. You will experience certain symptoms like getting a severe earache, itching in the ear, trouble in hearing, ringing sounds (tinnitus), loss of balance or dizziness, bleeding, discharge from the affected ears, etc.
Stop worrying about your plugged ear, as there are many natural remedies and tips to unplug the ears and make it function normally.
Home Remedies for Plugged Ears:
Here are some best natural remedies that effectively work well in treating your plugged ear. Let’s have a look at these remedies and follow them regularly to get rid of the plugged ears.
Here we are discussing plugged ears that are caused due to the sinus infection, ear wax and excess pressure in the ear in a detailed way.
Remedies for Plugged Ear that caused due to Sinus Infection:
Sinus infection is caused due to the blockage of sinuses with fluids where there is a growth of bacteria and other microbes causing swelling and irritation.
Remedy – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol)
The combination of apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol has a disinfectant property that effectively clears the bacterial and viral infections like the sinus infection and its symptoms.
- Mix equal parts of organic ACV and alcohol in a bowl.
- Lie down on your side and pour few drops of this mix into the affected ear by using a dropper.
- Then place a cotton ball in the ear to prevent it from spilling out.
- Also, avoid raising your head and rest yourself for 10 minutes.
- Now remove it using an ear bud and repeat the same for the other ear, if it also clogged.
- Continue the same process daily till you get rid of plugged ear caused due to the sinus infection.
Remedy – 2: (Nasal Saline Spray)
Nasal saline spray is a mild decongestant that unblocks the clogged nose and thereby clears plugged ears. It also treats sinusitis by clearing the virus or other impurities from the respiratory system.
- Boil 1 cup of water and let it cool for few minutes.
- Pour this mix into a sterilized container and then add 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of non – iodized salt and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder in it.
- Stir well and pour this mix into a dropper or squeeze bottle.
- Now tilt your head at 45 degrees and pour this mix gently into your nostrils.
- Wait till the mix drain through the nose or mouth and spit out the mix.
- Blow your nose before repeating the same on the other nostril.
- Continue this nasal spray for 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 glass of warm water and use this mix to gargle for 20 – 35 seconds. Then after, spit it out without swallowing. Do it twice daily till you cleared sinusitis and clogged ears.
You can also pour garlic oil into the affected ear (or) a mix of tea tree oil in warm olive oil (or) allow the steam of tea tree oil mixed in hot boiling water into the affected ear to get rid of clogged ears.
Remedies for Plugged Ear that caused due to Pressure:
Whenever there is an imbalance of pressure in ear drum then it gets clogged. So, when you’re planning to fly or drive up or down the mountains then you have to follow these remedies to get rid of plugged ears.
Remedy – 1: (Valsalva Maneuver)
This technique helps to equalize the pressure in your middle ear and clears plugged ears. It relieves your stuffiness and pain in the ear.
- Close your mouth and pinch the nostrils closed by using your fingers.
- Then try to blow through the nose until you get pop sound in the ear.
- Make sure that not to blow too hard, as it damages the ear canal.
- Do it at anytime and anywhere whenever you suffer from plugged ear due to the imbalance of pressure.
Remedy – 2: (Toynbee Maneuver)
You should swallow the water with your mouth and nose closed. Try this technique to get faster relief from the problem.
- Sip some water and close your mouth and pinch your nose with your fingers.
- Swallow the water still closing the nose.
- This will help to equalize the pressure in the ears and thereby unplug them.
- Do the same process as needed to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 3: (Otovent)
Otovent is another easy technique used to equalize the pressure by simply inflating a balloon through the nose to clear the clogged ears.
- Take a small balloon and place it on one nostril and hold the other nostril.
- Inhale through your mouth and close it.
- Then blow the air out through nostril to inflate the balloon.
- Do the same by closing other nostril to get rid of plugged ears.
You can also follow jaw wriggle methods by widely open the mouth and wriggle the jaws by moving it from one side to another (OR) Chewing gum, swallowing or yawning are some tips to equalize the pressure in the ears.
Remedies for Plugged Ear that caused due to Earwax:
In some cases, earwax can also lead to clogged ears, not because of cleaning but due to over-cleaning. Our body will automatically clear the ear wax and when we are cleaning it with a q-tip or other devices the wax will be pushed near to the ear canal and makes it difficult to clear.
Remedy – 1: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil helps to soften the ear wax and removes it easily. You can use any natural oil for removing ear wax and thereby clearing plugged ears.
- Warm some extra virgin olive oil slightly and pour few drops of this lukewarm oil into the affected ear using a dropper.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes so that the wax gets soft.
- Then keep the head sideways to remove the oil and ear wax using ear buds.
- Continue doing the process gently that not to cause any damage to the delicate organs.
Remedy – 2: (Warm Compress)
A warm compress is an effective remedy that clears plugged ears that caused due to the sinus infection, an improper balance of pressure and buildup of earwax.
- Soak a clean washcloth in warm water and squeeze it to remove excess water.
- Hold the cloth over the affected ear for 5 – 10 minutes.
- This process helps you to ease the pain and thus promote fluid drainage.
- Or simply wrap a hot water bottle in a thin towel and place it on the clogged ear for 5 – 10 minutes to relieve the pressure and thereby to open up the clogged ears.
- Also, inhale the steam (or) take a hot shower to get rid of plugged ears.
Tips and Precautions:
- Hydrogen peroxide (3%) also helps to unclog the ears by clearing the accumulated wax. Pour 2 – 3 drops of peroxide into the affected ear and wait for few minutes till the fizz stops and then tilt your head to clear the solution and earwax.
- Never ever place too cool or too hot temperatures on the ear.
- Drink plenty of water and include garlic, radish, jalapeno, onions, chilies, pepper, warm soups, herbal teas, etc. to clear the congestion and thereby plugged ear.
- Avoid scratching the eardrum or using any Waterpik or other devices on the ear, as they cause damage to the ear drum.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from the problem or suspecting if there is any foreign object in the ear causing the blockage.
- It’s best to use earplugs to filter the air pressure changes while traveling in planes.
Try these natural ways to get rid of plugged ears. Do you know any other successful plugged ear remedies? Then share it with us in the below comments box.