Having a long and lustrous hair will enhance your personality but due to many environmental, personal or psychological problems, both men and women are facing hair loss or hair related problems in these days.
However, there are many hair care products available for treating your hair problems and to re-grow your hair but they may be filled with some harsh chemicals, which in turn results in hair loss.
So, here in this article, we are going to know how to prevent hair loss and treat hair (or scalp) problems for a healthy hair growth using a simple natural ingredient.
It’s none other than onions. Yes, onions are very effective in enhancing your hair growth by preventing many hair related problems.
Have a look at its properties to get an idea on how it works for treating hair loss:
- Onion has a rich source of sulfur (especially methylsulfonylmethane – easily absorbable sulfur source) that is essential for building blocks of hair by forming keratin in hair and thus results in healthy hair growth.
- It counteracts alopecia areata problem and helps with the re-growth of hair in the areas where the hair has lost with its keratin protein and many amino acids.
- Massaging with raw onion juice will help to stimulate proper blood circulation and expedite hair growth.
- Regular application of onion juice will prevent premature hair graying and provides natural color to your hair.
- It has an antioxidant enzyme called catalase that strengthen and improves the elasticity of your hair strands to prevent hair breakage.
- The antimicrobial properties of onion will treat several scalp and hair problems like dandruff or hair loss.
How to use Onion Juice for Hair Loss Treatment:
Here are some best ways of using onions for treating hair loss. Regular follow-up of these methods will promote smooth and shiny hair.
Method – 1: (Onion Juice)
Massaging your scalp with fresh onion juice will prevent hair loss and thus promotes hair growth.
- Peel off the outer layer of an onion and chop it into small pieces.
- Place them in a blender and blend it to make a smooth pulp.
- Pour this pulp in a strainer and squeeze it to extract its juice.
- Apply this juice onto the hair by focusing more on the roots and scalp.
- Rinse off with shampoo after 30 – 45 minutes.
- Continue doing the same process for once or twice a week.
Method – 2: (Onion Juice with Honey)
Honey moisturizes your scalp and hair with its natural emollient property and thus prevents hair breakage. It also has antibacterial and antioxidant properties that help for healthy hair growth by maintaining a healthy scalp.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey and few drops of essential oil in 1/4 cup of freshly extracted onion juice.
- Stir well and apply this mix on all over the scalp by concentrating more on bald patches.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and rinse off with water and mild shampoo after 20 – 30 minutes.
- Repeat the same process for 3 – 4 times every week till you enjoy your new hair growth.
Method – 3: (Onion Juice as After Wash Solution)
Onion juice, when used as a final rinse will provide the same benefits as its application.
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of onion juice in 1 liter of warm water.
- Use this mix as a final rinse to your hair after shampooing.
- Repeat it regularly for every alternative day till you get rid of hair problems.
Note: Your hair will smell like onion till you shampooed the hair next time.
Method – 4: (Onion Juice with Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil enhances hair growth with its lauric acid and other fatty acids that bind to the proteins in the hair and thus protect your hair strands from breakage. It penetrates deep into the hair and improves blood circulation.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh onion juice and few drops of essential oil in 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the scalp and leave it for about an hour or two.
- After that, rinse off your hair with a shampoo and warm water.
- Continue the same process for once a week on regular basis.
Note: You can replace coconut oil with any natural carrier oil like olive oil, almond oil, castor oil or coconut milk.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure to avoid the topical application of onion juice if you’re allergic to onions, as it results in a reaction.
- Onions have a strong odor, so rinse your hair with lemon added to warm water to get rid of that strong odor.
- You can also mix certain ingredients with onion juice like rum, lemon juice, garlic paste, curry leaves paste, yogurt, etc. and apply it on your hair to get relief from the hair loss and scalp problems.
- Also, include onions in your daily diet like in recipes or salads to get the onion benefits from inside.
- For best results, rinse your hair with cold water after applying these packs, as cold water will seal the cuticles of your hair strands.
- Avoid using hair straightening iron, curlers, blow dryers and other heating devices, as they dry out your hair, makes it frizzy and thus damages it.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet that includes healthy fats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and proteins which help to get rid of your hair problems and to have a healthy hair growth.
- Manage your stress levels by practicing yoga, deep breathing exercises, meditation and regular exercises along with plenty of restful sleep daily to promote hair growth.
Hope you’ll try using onions for hair growth and don’t forget to share your experience with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply