Are you suffering from thinning hair or hair fall? Hair thinning can be caused due to nutritional deficiencies, environmental pollutants, stress, hormonal imbalance, genetics, heating tools, improper and excessive use of hair styles, etc. are some of the causes for hair loss. Ignoring hair fall can lead to a serious hair problem in future like baldness.
But don’t panic, there are many natural remedies for re – growing your hair at home. Olive oil is one of the best remedies that nourish the hair and scalp for promoting new growth.
Want to know the scientific evidence about olive oil for hair re – gain? Then have a look on its properties to get an idea on how it works for hair growth.
- DTH is a hormone that mainly causes hair loss, as it directly affects the hair follicles’ health by rupturing the hair cuticle. The weak one will fall off due to breakage and thus results in thin hair. Olive oil prevents the production of DHT hormones on the scalp and gets control over hair fall.
- Regular massage of olive oil on the scalp will remove the buildup of dirt, dead cells and other contaminants from the scalp. This in turn cleanses the scalp and improves the natural and healthy hair growth.
- Massaging will improve blood circulation and boost up the hair follicles to grow healthy. It also relieves you from stress to have vibrant health and sleep, which in turn required for maintaining the hair growth.
- It acts as a natural hair conditioner that prevents dryness, dandruff, itchy or flakiness on the hair. This helps a lot in preventing these scalp problems to make the hair soft and shiny.
- It is a natural disinfectant that fights against the bacterial, viral or fungal infection on the hair and scalp like dandruff, yeast, lice, etc.
- Antioxidants and vitamin E in oil help to cure the damage caused due to excessive usage of chemical based hair products and thus promote overall scalp health by providing essential nourishment to the scalp.
There are so many methods of using olive oil for treating hair problems and promoting hair growth. Here we are providing 4 excellent methods to know how to use olive oil for hair growth. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Warm Olive Oil)
Both the oil are greasy that helps to lock the moisture levels and thereby hair fall. Hibiscus used in this process acts as a natural powerful tonic.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 cup each of olive oil and castor oil in a small pan.
- Then add 1 dried hibiscus petal and warm the mix on the stove.
- Heat it till it becomes lukewarm and turn off the heat.
- Apply this warm oil on the scalp and hair.
- Massage gently in circular motions for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Cover your head with a hot towel for another 10 minutes to open up the pores and allows the oil to absorb better.
- Rinse your hair with a regular shampoo followed with warm water.
- Dry your hair thoroughly and repeat the same process regularly for twice a week until you thicken the hair.
- Or simply apply warm olive oil on the scalp and hair to thicken your hair shafts.
- Alternatively, mix tea tree oil or almond oil or coconut oil, etc. in olive oil and apply this oil mix on the hair for thrice a week to get healthy hair growth. Be sure to warm the oil mix before using.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Egg Yolk and Lemon Juice)
This process provides deep conditioning hair mask that locks the moisture levels and prevents scalp problems and enhances for proper hair growth. Egg yolk has essential fatty acids and vitamins like A, E, B and D that clears infections and promotes hair growth.
Steps to be followed…
- Combine an egg yolk, few drops of fresh lemon juice in 1/2 cup of olive oil.
- You can also add few drops of rosemary or lavender essential oil in it, to prevent the unpleasant egg smell on the hair.
- Stir well and apply this mask on the hair and scalp as a hair mask.
- Let it stay on hair for about 10 – 15 minutes and then rinse it with water and shampoo.
- Continue doing the same process to get healthy and nourishing hair growth.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil with Cinnamon and Honey)
This is another effective and widely used hair growth remedy. Both cinnamon and honey have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that cure the scalp and hair problems.
Steps to be followed…
- Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add 1 tablespoon of raw honey in it.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in it and mix well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the hair and let it sit for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with mild shampoo and water.
- Dry your hair and regularly follow the same process for healthy hair growth.
Method – 4: (Olive Oil – Internal Intake)
Consumption of olive oil will not only provide health benefits but also promotes the hair growth, due to its various nutrients. Also, most of the doctors state that improper digestion can lead to hair loss and other health problems, but the intake of olive oil internally will help to improve digestion.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a juice of 1 lemon in 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink it to detoxify your body (that includes both skin and hair) daily in the morning.
- Or simply switch your cooking oil to olive oil to get healthy hair growth.
- Also, use olive oil in your salads or other cooked dishes.
- Or else, consume 1 teaspoon of olive oil daily in the morning to get rid of the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Consume healthy and nutritious diet, relax yourself with enough of sleep, stress less life with yoga and meditation, prevent sun effect on the hair by wearing a hat or scarf, regular hair care hygiene, etc. to thicken the hair.
- Prefer to use extra virgin or virgin olive oil rather than normal ones to get healthy growth of your hair.
- Always use mild shampoos and natural hair masks to replenish the nutrients and other essential things to hair.
- You can also add other natural ingredients like cayenne pepper, garlic cloves, ripe avocado mash, castor oil, banana, vitamin E oil, essential oils, cumin or fenugreek seeds, yogurt, etc. in olive oil and apply it on the hair and scalp to gain healthy hair growth.
- If you’re suffering from severe hair loss, then it’s must to consult your doctor (hair specialist) to get diagnose and thereby proper treatment to prevent hair loss.
- Use olive oil based oils, shampoos, gels, creams, etc. for hair growth rather than sodium lauryl sulfate shampoos or products.
With all of these olive oil methods, you can protect the hair from getting damage and enhance your hair to re – grow healthy. Why waiting? Try them and let me know which one worked well for your hair growth by sharing your experience with us.