Ear infection is most common in children rather than adults, that caused by bacteria or virus affects in the middle ear. Wax buildup, environmental pollutants, genetics, upper respiratory infections, internal injuries and nutritional deficiencies are some of the factors contributing to the ear infection. Suffering from ear pain, difficulty in sleeping, headache, fluid draining from ear, vomiting (seen in children), poor response to sounds, etc. are some of the signs and symptoms of ear infection.
Although there are many over the counter antibiotics and pain relievers used for treating the infection but in a long run, it exhibits many side effects on the body. So, the usage of natural remedies is a wise choice for treating the infection long lasting results and with no more side effects.
Olive oil is one among those amazing natural home remedies that widely used to treat many health and skin problems, including ear infection. Here are some of its properties that explain you on how it works for treating the infection in the ear.
- Ear wax is the main cause of infection in the ear, as this wax will catch some bacteria or fungus growth which in turn blocks Eustachian tubes and thus results in infection. Olive oil is very effective in clearing the wax easily to clear the obstruction and thereby infection.
- It reduces the irritation in the outer and inner ear to ease the pain, discomfort and inflammation with its anti-inflammatory property.
- It opens up the Eustachian tubes to reduce the infection and prevent the buildup of earwax to clear water draining out of the ear canal.
- It provides a protective layer on the outer ear to prevent the bacteria or virus attack or any other infections inside the ear.
- It contains strong antibacterial and antiviral properties that cure the infection caused due to bacteria or virus.
- It has antioxidants and fragile polyphenols that protect the cells from damage and gets control over the inflammation.
- It strengthens the immune system to fight against the bacterial and other microbes causing ear infection. It also has natural analgesic that relieves you from the pain.
Olive oil can be used for treating the infection in many ways, either alone or with the combination of other ingredients to eliminate the ear infection along with its symptoms. Here are the 3 best olive oil methods.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil)
In this process, we are going to know how olive oil alone can be used to treat ear infection. It helps to alleviate the pain.
Steps to be followed…
- Warm some olive oil slightly for a minute or two.
- Pour this lukewarm olive oil into the infected ear.
- Cover that ear with a cotton ball and let it sit for few minutes.
- Remove the ball and clear the wax with the help of cotton swabs.
- This process will soften the ear wax and thus remove it to prevent the infection.
- Be sure that not to put the swab too far in the ear as it damages the eardrum.
- Repeat the same process for few times a day till you got complete relief from the infection and pain.
- Or dip a cotton ball in warm olive oil and dab it on the affected ear areas. Let it sit for few minutes and take it out to clear the infection.
- Alternatively, pour olive oil in the infected ear by using an ear dropper and then cover the ear with a warm compress to get quick relief from the pain and infection.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Essential Oils)
Essential oils are very effective in treating the infections on the ear and to enhance its effectiveness, you have to mix the essential oils with olive oil.
Steps to be followed…
- Warm some olive oil and add few drops of any essential oils like tea tree oil, lavender oil and peppermint oil, eucalyptus, etc.
- Pour this warm olive oil mix in a bowl and let it cool for a minute or two.
- Lay on one side and pour this oil mix into the infected ear by using a dropper.
- Cover the ear with a cotton ball.
- Let it stay for few minutes and then turn to the other side to remove the oil mix along with the infection.
- Do the same process 2 – 3 times daily for few days to heal the infection quickly.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil with Garlic)
This combinational process is very effective in curing ear infection. It acts as a natural antibiotic and pain killer that relieves you from infection.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a pan.
- Add few crushed cloves of garlic in oil and stir it well.
- Warm the mix slightly for 2 – 5 minutes.
- After that, strain the oil and pour this oil mix in the affected ear with the help of a dropper.
- Cover it with a cotton ball and relax yourself for few minutes.
- Regularize the process for few days to get rid of the infection.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid applying olive oil in the ruptured eardrum or suspecting to get ruptured or having any ear injury which will worsen the problem along with some side effects.
- Always use extra virgin or virgin olive oil rather than normal oil for treating your health and skin problems (that includes ear infection).
- Consult your doctor (ENT specialist), if your symptoms persist or worsen or suspecting any inner ear infection to get proper diagnose and treatment as per the problem.
- Check the temperature of olive oil before putting it in the ear, as it should be warm but not hot.
- As a preventive step, pour 2 – 3 drops of olive oil in each ear canal before going to swim to prevent water from getting into the ears.
- Always keep your ears clean and dry to prevent the recurrence of this infection or any damage to the ears.
Give a trial of using olive oil for treating your ear infection. Or do you have any other remedies for treating this infection? Then share your experience with us.
Leave a Reply