Constipation is a common digestive disorder that is experienced by most of us at least once in the lifetime. Whenever a person doesn’t have a bowel movement for 3 days then it is treated as constipation.
The main causes for this constipation are an unhealthy lifestyle, lack of fiber in the diet, fast or processed foods, dehydration, stress, lack of physical activity, usage of certain medications, irregular defecation habit, etc. which hardens the feces and make it difficult to defecate.
Stomach bloating, headache, loss of appetite, depression, acidity, bad breath, mouth ulcer, etc. are some symptoms of constipation.
Instead of taking over the counter laxative, try some natural remedies to treat constipation. In this article, we will learn about olive oil for treating constipation.
Does Olive Oil Work for treating Constipation?
Olive oil is an amazing ingredient that helps to treat constipation effectively. Here are some of its properties that promote regular bowel movement and clears constipation.
- Olive oil acts as a natural laxative that lubricates the bowel and adds moisture to the stool which in turn makes the feces to pass easily through the colon.
- It strengthens the mucous lining of the colon that has become weak or works down due to this constipation.
- It aids in the easy passage of stool through the intestine by stimulating the muscle contraction of the large intestine. It also reduces dilation in the intestine.
- It improves the bowel evacuation speed due to the presence of monounsaturated fats in olive oil.
- The vitamins (E & K), omega 3 & 6 fatty acids and antioxidants in olive oil help to boost up the health of digestive tract, aids in proper digestion and thereby regulate the bowel movements.
- It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that prevent swelling, irritation and bloating in the intestine and thereby allows the stool to pass smoothly.
- It promotes the gallbladder to release more bile and also encourages the production of digestive enzymes to improve digestion.
- Regular usage will not only clear constipation but also clears its symptoms effectively.
How to use Olive Oil for Constipation:
Here are some effective ways of using olive oil for clearing constipation. All you need to follow them regularly without any interruption.
Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil has a natural laxative property that softens the stool and stimulates the bowel movement to get rid of constipation.
- Consume 1 – 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Don’t drink water or eat anything up to 1 hour after consuming olive oil.
- Follow this remedy till you get rid of constipation.
Note: You can also give 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the morning before giving any foods to your children.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Lemon Juice)
Lemon has high acid content and vitamin C that helps to move the things in the colon. So, this combination will prevent dryness in the colon and thereby clears constipation by softening the stool.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Stir well and drink this at night before bedtime.
- Do it regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Note: Or orange juice acts as a good laxative. So, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil in 1 glass of fresh orange juice and drink in the morning on an empty stomach to get rid of constipation.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil Laxative Drink with Fruit or Vegetable Juice)
Olive oil in any fruit or vegetable juices which are rich in fiber will add bulk to the stool and stimulate the bowel movements.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil in 1 glass of fresh fruit or vegetable juice.
- Stir well and drink it on an empty stomach (or at night before bedtime).
- Continue doing the same process whenever required.
- You can also replace this fruit or vegetable juice with milk or coffee or parsley juice.
- Also, mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil in 1 – 2 cups of chopped fruits (apple, raspberries, pineapple, pear, banana, peach or oranges). Consume it daily with an empty stomach to get relief from constipation.
Method – 4: (Olive Oil with Yogurt)
Yogurt is enriched with probiotics which are essential for maintaining good bacteria, strengthening the mucus lining of the colon and enhance proper digestive functioning. This combination helps to treat severe constipation.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil in 1 cup of yogurt and stir well.
- Consume it 2 – 3 times daily till you get relief from the problem.
Method – 5: (Olive Oil Massage)
Massaging your abdomen (the lower one) with olive oil helps to stimulate the bowel movement. The skin absorbs the oil easily and this massaging process will reduce the pain and discomfort that caused by hard stools.
- Pour 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil near the navel on the stomach.
- Massage it gently in circular motions for 5 minutes or till the skin absorbs the oil completely.
- Do this massage process for twice daily till you get relief from constipation.
- Avoid doing this massage process immediately after eating food.
- You can also treat constipation in your kids by massaging few drops of olive oil on their stomach, which helps to loosen the stressed muscles and reduce the pain.
Tips and precautions:
- If you’re suffering from chronic constipation, then consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- You can also go with olive oil edema under a supervision of a qualified professional after consulting your doctor.
- Always prefer to extra virgin olive oil for treating your constipation. Also, avoid over usage of olive oil, as it results in diarrhea or puts you on weight.
- People suffering from diabetes and other health problem or those who are on medications should consult their doctor before using this olive oil for constipation.
- Drink plenty of water, use olive oil for cooking, avoid foods that trigger constipation, consume more of fiber-rich foods, stop drinking alcohol, eat food in less quantities in proper time, etc. should be included in your daily lifestyle.
- Reduce your stress levels by doing yoga, meditation, and other deep breathing exercises.
- Do some regular exercises to cut down your excess weight and to maintain proper functioning of your body parts and thereby to clear constipation.
This is all about Olive Oil for Constipation. Try these methods to relieve constipation. Do you know any successful olive oil methods for constipation? Then share it with us in the below comments box.