A healthy tongue is essential for our survival, as through it, we are able to talk, drink or consume diet. In certain times, due to improper hygiene, a pink tongue turns to white color and this is called as oral Candida.
It is not a disease but due to certain factors like poor oral hygiene, bad breath, usage of tobacco or smoking, dry mouth, dehydration, fever or other infections, reaction to certain medications, excessive alcohol consumption, intake of highly sugary and acidic foods, etc. will result in white coated tongue.
In most times, dehydration contributes to a white coated tongue. So, drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids throughout the day as a primary treatment after you notice this white tongue.
Always remember to consult your doctor if your problem is severe and persistent (might be caused due to any underlying health problem or reaction to certain medications) to get proper diagnose and treatment accordingly.
But before going to your doctor, just give a trial to these natural home remedies as a primary treatment, which helps to remove the white coating and keeps your mouth clean and healthy.
Home Remedies to Remove a White Coating on Tongue:
Here are the safe and best remedies that widely used for proper oral care, includes treating a white coated tongue. Have a look on these amazing remedies and follow them regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Salt is the best and foremost remedy used to treat oral problems. Here the coarse texture of salt acts as a natural tongue scraper to clear the dead cells and debris. It also has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that kill the bacteria and prevents bad breath.
- Sprinkle some salt on the white tongue and start scrubbing it gently by using your toothbrush for a couple of minutes.
- After that, rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water.
- Continue doing the same process twice daily till you get rid of white coated tongue.
Note: Or gargle with salt water (1 teaspoon of salt mixed in 1 glass of warm water) and spit it out. Repeat it for several times daily to clear almost all oral problems.
Vegetable glycerin clears white coating on your tongue in certain cases like when it caused due to dry mouth or bad breath. It is easily available in any health food stores.
- Place few drops of vegetable glycerin on the affected tongue.
- Gently brush your tongue, using a soft bristle toothbrush for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse off your mouth thoroughly with warm water.
- Repeat it twice daily till your tongue gains its natural pink color.
Probiotics have L. acidophilus and B. lactic cultures that help to control the growth of bacteria and fungi in the mouth. It is an effective remedy used to remove this white oral Candida.
- Mix enough water in a powder extracted from 1 probiotic capsule.
- Stir well and keep it aside.
- Brush your teeth as usual and use this mix as your mouthwash.
- Then drink a glass of water to get rid of Candida fungus.
- Or mix some salt in yogurt and use it to scrub your tongue gently to remove the white coating and prevent dryness.
- Also, consume yogurt or probiotic-rich foods as a part of your diet.
4. Oil Pulling:
Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic practice done for complete oral care and thus it is best way to clear white tongue that caused due to oral thrush. Coconut oil is considered as the best oil for oil pulling, as coconut oil is rich in antimicrobial and soothing properties that prevent white coated tongue.
- Place 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil in your mouth and swish it all around your mouth.
- Make sure to cover the oil in between teeth, tongue and under the tongue.
- Continue doing this swishing for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Spit out the oil and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Never ever swallow the oil, as it has the impurities that might worsen your problem.
- Finally, brush your teeth as usual.
- Repeat it daily in the morning before brushing till you get relief from white coated tongue and then do occasionally to maintain proper oral care.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide:
Hydrogen peroxide has strong antibacterial properties that treat white coated tongue. But use only 3% hydrogen peroxide for oral health.
- Add 1 part of hydrogen peroxide into 2 parts of water and stir well.
- Dip a soft toothbrush in this mix and scrape your tongue gently.
- Spit out and rinse it off with water.
- Also, use hydrogen peroxide as your mouthwash but don’t swallow hydrogen peroxide.
6. Baking Soda:
Baking soda, just like salt, it has a coarse texture that exfoliates the residue sticking to the tongue and also maintains balanced pH levels in the mouth by neutralizing acids.
- Mix some baking soda with enough lemon juice to make it as a paste.
- Use it as your toothpaste to brush your teeth and rinse off with water.
- Continue doing it regularly to get rid of a white coated tongue.
Note: Or mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water and use it as your mouthwash for twice daily.
7. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and other healing properties that help to treat oral problems, including this white coated tongue.
- Extract aloe vera gel freshly from a leaf and blend it by adding some water to make a fresh juice.
- Put 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice in your mouth and swish it all around for few minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Then consume 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice to get relief from problem.
- Do it regularly for few days to get complete relief from the white coated tongue.
Tips and Precautions:
- Scrub your tongue with a paste of lemon juice mixed turmeric powder for few minutes. Rinse it off with warm water. (OR) do gargle with turmeric water (1/2 teaspoon turmeric mixed in 1 glass water).
- Colloidal silver has antibiotic and antimicrobial properties that eliminate the oral Candida fungus, treats dry mouth and bad breath. Mix equal parts of water and colloidal silver and use it to swish around your mouth for 5 minutes. Spit out and rinse off with warm water.
- Indian lilac (or neem) has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that clear the yeast fungus or bacteria from your mouth (tongue). It also removes toxins from the body. Boil 1cup of water by adding 1 tablespoon of dried neem leaves. Cool it and use it as your mouthwash, rinse with warm water.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent the food deposits from mouth and keep your tongue clean.
- Have some gargle with warm water after meals to prevent the food particles that stuck on your tongue and teeth.
- Consume some crunchy fruits and vegetables such as apples, carrots, strawberries, guavas, etc. to naturally clean your mouth and prevent white coated tongue.
- Chew few garlic cloves to improve blood circulation (or) swish fresh lemon juice mixed with water for few minutes and spit out.
- Stop using tobacco or smoking along with alcohol consumption to prevent the tongue discoloration.
- Avoid dairy products and sugary foods which create mucus and discolor your tongue.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you’re suffering from a white coated tongue for more than 2 weeks and also having pain or swelling for immediate treatment.
- Clean your tongue regularly to get rid of a white coated tongue. Follow these things like brush your tongue gently, scrape the tongue, rinse with water thoroughly, use strong antiseptic solution for gargle and scrub your tongue to get rid of the problem.
Follow these remedies and tips to get rid of a white coated tongue and have proper oral health. Let me know how you removed this white coated tongue by sharing your experience.