No one likes scars on their face. Getting rid of acne scars is a little tougher job than clearing acne, as these scars are little stubborn. The reason is that the infected acne reaches the dermis layer and destroys the healthy skin tissues. So, when you cure acne with various anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties containing natural ingredients then it leaves scars on the skin.
Well, we all are aware of acne as a skin inflammatory disorder that appears in the form of cysts on the skin due to the result of prolonged contact with polluted air, dust, sweat or dirty water. Most things cause acne scars and some effective causes among them includes oily skin (clogs skin pores), bacteria or dust accumulation, dead skin cells, genetics, pinching or squeezing or poking the spots or pimples and simply leaving the skin untreated after getting acne.
Don’t panic and rush for the cosmetic scar removal treatments or creams, you can fade these scars effectively with the help of some natural home remedies without much cost and side effects on the skin. All you need is some patience and regular follow up of natural methods until you get relief from the scars on the skin.
Home Remedies for Acne Scars:
Listed below are some effective natural remedies that lighten up your acne scars and gives an even skin tone. But the only thing you need to do is that follow these remedies daily until you get complete relief from acne scars.
Method – 1: (Lemon Juice for Acne Scars)
Lemon is rich in vitamin C and citric acid that helps to rebuild collagen and fade away the acne scars. It has an excellent skin lightening property (a natural skin bleaching) that brightens the skin and makes the scars less visible.
- Apply a freshly squeezed lemon juice on the scars using a cotton ball and rinse off after 10 minutes with water. Repeat it daily till you fade the acne scars.
- If you’ve dry or sensitive skin, mix lemon juice with water or rosewater or honey or aloe vera gel and apply it on the acne scars.
- Vitamin E oil has antioxidant and moisturizing properties that heal your skin by improving the skin texture. Mix 2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 2 teaspoons of vitamin E oil. Apply it to acne scars regularly for 2 – 3 times a day.
- Tomato helps to fade the acne scars. So, blend 1 tomato and a handful of fresh coriander leaves with enough rose water. Then add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to it and apply it on the face as a mask. Rinse off with cold water after 15 – 20 minutes. Do it regularly for twice a week.
- Prepare a lemon mask by mixing 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice, almond oil and honey in 2 tablespoons of milk. Stir well and apply on the acne scars. Rinse off after a few minutes with water and do it regularly to fade away the acne scars.
- Squeeze out 1 – 2 lemons in a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of raw honey to it. Stir well and apply it on the acne scars affected areas by using a cotton ball. Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with water. Dry the skin and do it once for at least 2 – 3 weeks.
Method – 2: (Aloe Vera for Acne Scars)
Aloe vera acts as a natural emollient that repairs the damaged skin and thus promotes the growth of healthy skin. It improves the skin texture and removes acne scars with its skin soothing and antioxidant properties. For best results, always use aloe vera gel that taken directly from the aloe vera leaf.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and cut the outer green leaf till you get a gel-like substance.
- Then take out this aloe vera gel to apply on the acne scars affected skin areas.
- Massage gently for a few minutes and leave it for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off with water and repeat the same process for twice daily till you get rid of acne scars.
- The regular follow up of this process will not only fade the acne scars but also makes your skin tight and glowing.
Read More on How to Fade Acne Scars using Aloe Vera
Method – 3: (Olive Oil for Acne Scars)
Olive oil is skin friendly carrier oil that has a lot of essential vitamins (A, B1, B2, C, D, E), iron and antioxidants that repair your skin structure and removes acne scars.
- Massage some extra virgin olive oil gently on the face and neck, where you’re suffering from acne scars.
- Then wring out a clean cloth soaked in warm water and place it on your face to get steaming effect so that the oil is well absorbed by the skin and also to wipe the excess oil.
- Leave it on for a few hours or overnight and rinse off.
- Repeat the same process regularly until you get a complete relief from the problem.
Note: Also, use coconut oil (or) almond oil (or) vitamin E oil (or) any combination of essential oil with a carrier oil instead of olive oil for clearing acne scars.
Method – 4: (Baking Soda for Acne Scars)
Baking soda has gentle coarse granules that when mixed with water exhibits exfoliating property to remove dead skin cell out of the skin without any irritation or redness or inflammation.
- Mix enough water (or rose water) to 1 tablespoon of baking soda and stir well to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on pimple scars and massage gently for a couple of minutes.
- Leave it for another few minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Dry the skin gently and apply moisturizer (prefer natural oils like olive oil).
- Repeat regularly for 2 – 3 times a week till you get relief from these acne scars on the skin.
Check Out more on How to use Baking Soda for Acne Scars
Method – 5: (Potato for Acne Scars)
Raw potato has antibacterial, analgesic and skin bleaching properties that clear acne and promotes new, healthy skin cells and unclogs the skin pores to prevent acne scars.
- Take a raw potato and cut it into thick round slices.
- Rub a potato slice gently on the face (especially on the scars) in circular motions.
- Do this slice rubbing until you feel the slice is dry and continue with another fresh slice.
- Repeat this rubbing action for about 10 – 15 minutes and leave the face for another few minutes till the potato juice is well absorbed by the skin.
- Finally, rinse the area and pat dry the skin to apply moisturizer.
- Continue doing the same process for 3 – 4 times daily till you get a complete relief from acne scars on the skin.
Note: Or simply place raw potato slices on the affected areas for a few minutes on regular basis.
Method – 6: (Tea Tree Oil for Acne Scars)
Tea tree oil has terpinene – 4 – ol that exhibits antibacterial, antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties to clear the scars. It is an excellent remedy for treating acne without forming scars on the skin. This oil, when mixed with any carrier oil will provide moisturizing and hydrating properties on the skin to diminish the scars effectively.
- Pour 3 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 – 2 tablespoons of water (or any carrier oil) and stir well.
- Then take a cotton ball and dip it in the diluted tea tree oil.
- Dab the ball on the acne scars affected skin areas.
- Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse the oil applied areas with water.
- Continue doing the same process for 2 – 3 times daily until your acne scars are faded away from the skin.
Note: Avoid using tea tree oil in an undiluted form why because it is strong in nature and cause some irritation, itching and burning sensation on the skin. So, always remember to use tea tree oil after diluting it with either oil or water.
Method – 7: (Coffee Scrub for Acne Scars)
Coffee scrub increases the blood circulation, reduces swelling and inflammation, exfoliates the skin deeply to promote the collagen levels and fade acne scars.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of coffee ground with some raw honey (for normal skin) or olive oil (for dry skin).
- Stir well to make a paste and apply it on the pimple scars.
- Leave it for 20 – 25 minutes and rinse with water.
- Pat dry your skin and repeat the same action regularly.
Method – 8: (Honey for Acne Scars)
Honey has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties for treating acne scars. It eliminates the dead cells and stimulates the generation of new skin tissues to fade away the scars. It soothes the irritated skin and eventually lightens the skin.
- Apply some organic honey on the acne scars and leave it for a few hours and rinse off.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of raw honey in 1/4 cup of oatmeal. Spread it on the scars and rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 – 20 minutes.
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply it on the scars and let it sit for a few minutes and wash it off. Or simply leave for overnight and rinse off in the morning to get rid of the problem.
- The salicylic acid in aspirin will do wonders in treating acne and its scars. So, prepare a honey-aspirin mask by dissolving 2 – 3 aspirin tablets in some water to make a fine paste. Then add 2 tablespoons of raw honey and stir well. Spread this paste on the acne scars and rinse with water after 15 minutes.
Method – 9: (Apple Cider Vinegar for Acne Scars)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) exhibits astringent, antiseptic and a pH balance of the skin which, in turn, helps to fade away the acne scar on the skin. It has all essential enzymes, amino acids, nutrients, acetic acid, carbolic acid, aldehydes, ketones, antioxidant and much more that clears your acne scars on the skin.
This cider vinegar will scrape off the dead cells in the skin and thereby fade away the scars effectively on the skin. It works well when used with honey or water to fade the scars.
- Mix equal quantities of organic ACV and water. Apply it on the acne scars using a cotton ball. Wait for 7 – 10 minutes and wash it with water. Do it once daily to fade these acne scars.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey in 2/3 cups of water. Stir well and apply it on the scars using a cotton ball. Leave for 30 minutes and wash with water. If you feel sticky then rinse the skin with lukewarm water. Continue it once daily for best and quick results.
- Also, drink 1 glass of water by mixing 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey. Drink regularly for best results.
Method – 10: (Cocoa Butter for Acne Scars)
We all know that cocoa butter is a fat that acts as a natural moisturizer but do you know that it heals your acne scars on the skin? Yes, it removes scars with its moisturizing and skin lightening property.
This butter is easily absorbable into the skin and thereby penetrates deep into the top layer of the skin and thereby keeps the skin well moisturized and enhance the growth of new skin tissues and heals the damaged skin. Thus it provides blemish-free skin.
- Take sufficient amount of cocoa butter and apply it to the acne scars affected skin areas.
- For best results, apply the butter at night before going to bed.
- Make sure to rinse your face thoroughly and pat dry the skin before application.
- Massage the butter on the skin for a couple of minutes till it absorbed by the skin.
- Leave it for overnight and rinse the area with water in the next morning.
- Continue doing the same process for once or twice daily to keep your skin look scar free.
Method – 11: (Sandalwood and Rosewater for Acne Scars)
Both sandalwood and rosewater have skin lightening, skin soothing and hydrating properties that help you to relieve from acne scars. They also clear excess oil, dead cells, and impurities to prevent the recurrence of acne in that area.
- Mix enough quantities of sandalwood powder and rose water in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply this paste on the acne scars affected areas.
- For effective results, apply it at night time before going to bed.
- Leave for a few hours to overnight and rinse off with water in the next morning.
- Repeat the same process regularly until you see improvements in your acne scars fading away from the skin.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid stepping out in the sun after applying lemon juice on the skin, as it causes skin sensitivity to sun’s rays and darkens your skin tone or apply sunscreen.
- Also, applying the freshly prepared tomato pulp on the scars for 15 – 20 minutes will help to fade away the scars but it is only for the people with normal skin.
- Drink plenty of water and other liquids to stay hydrated and to flush out the toxins and shedding the dead skin cells from the body. It aids in the formation of healthy skin and prefers to drink 1 – 2 glasses of lukewarm water in the morning to clear these toxins out of the body.
- Other natural remedies like the application of any of these ingredients like egg whites, cucumber juice, turmeric, ice cubes, mint paste, neem leaves, fenugreek, gram flour, yogurt, etc. will help you to get rid of the acne scars.
- Avoid touching the affected areas like squeezing or picking the pimples and also rinse your hands after application of any of the above remedies to prevent the spread of bacteria or pus in the pimples.
- Reduce your stress levels which in turn change your hormonal imbalance that might worsen the problem.
- Include fresh raw fruits and vegetables along with leafy greens in your diet to get rid of the problem.
- Rinse your face at night before going to bed to remove any residue of makeup or dust from the skin. Also, rinse face before applying any remedy.
- Apply Vitamin E oil (or vitamin E enriched oils) on the scars at night before bedtime and rinse off in the morning with water. For best results, steam your face to open up the pores and get quick relief from the scars.
- Apply sunscreen before stepping out in the sun why because the healing process of the skin will slow down when exposed to sun and thereby scars become darker. Also, cover your skin with a hat, clothes, umbrella, etc.
- Consult your doctor for proper diagnose, if you didn’t get any relief from scars.
Do you know any other remedies for acne scars which worked for you? Then share it with us in the comment section.