Chest and nasal congestions occur due to the buildup of thick mucus around the nasal passage and thus leaves your chest with a feeling of heavy. If left untreated, then results in the obstruct of oxygen flow into the lungs and causes serious respiratory problems.
Cold, allergies, bacteria, fungi, respiratory problems (like asthma, flu, pneumonia and bronchitis), stress, etc. are some of the causes of congestion.
Shortness of breath, chest tightness, sore throat, runny nose, cough, dizziness, etc. are the symptoms faced by people suffering from congestion.
Instead of using those over the counter decongestants which are filled with chemicals, try some natural homemade decongestants to unblock your nose and chest.
Here we are going to know about 3 best natural decongestants used to thin the mucus, clear the nasal passage and prevent congestion.
Natural Decongestant – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Cayenne Pepper)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) thins out the mucus and relieves you from cold and congestion. Honey soothes the throat and acts as a cough suppressant. Lemon juice is enriched with vitamin C that boosts your immune system to fight against infection.
Capsaicin in cayenne pepper helps to stimulate the secretions that drain the sinuses. Ginger warms the body, improves blood circulation and break down the congestion. Curcumin in turmeric reduces the inflammation and thus clears the airways. Black pepper loosens phlegm and clears congestion.
- Pour 1/4 cup each of organic apple cider vinegar and fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
- In that, add 2 tablespoons of raw honey, 1 teaspoon of dried ginger powder, 1/2 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper powder and turmeric powder and a pinch of black pepper powder.
- Stir all these ingredients till they are mixed thoroughly.
- Transfer this mix to a glass jar with airtight lid.
- To use, consume 1 – 2 tablespoons of this syrup daily till you get rid of congestion.
- But remember to shake the syrup well before each use, as the powders will settle down at the bottom after some time.
Note: Or pour 1/4 cup each of organic ACV and fresh lemon juice in a pan. Heat on a low flame and add 2 – 3 tablespoons of raw honey and 1/4 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and powdered ginger. Stir well and store in a jar. Shake well and consume 1 – 2 tablespoons daily.
Natural Decongestant – 2: (Radish with Lemon Juice and Honey)
Radish is effective in clearing congestion caused due to cold, bronchitis, allergies and other respiratory problems with its antimicrobial and detoxifying properties which in turn regulates blood pressure and soothes the irritation.
Garlic has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against infection causing congestion. Onion has quercetin that dissolves mucous and also prevents the buildup of mucous.
- Wash and chop 5 – 6 radishes, 1 small red onion and 5 – 6 garlic cloves.
- Place it in a blender and blend it.
- Then add 1 cup each of fresh lemon juice and organic honey in it.
- Stir well and transfer this syrup in a jar.
- To use, take 1 – 2 tablespoons of this syrup for once or twice daily (for adults) and 1 teaspoon daily for children above 2 years age.
Natural Decongestant – 3: (Coconut Oil with Essential Oils)
This is a homemade vapor rub for congestion. Coconut oil has antimicrobial property and essential fatty acids that strengthen your immune system. Tea tree oil has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that combat various illnesses.
Eucalyptus oil has all essential properties to remove phlegm and thus gives relief from respiratory issues. Peppermint oil acts as an expectorant and relieves you from congestion. Lemon oil acts as a decongestant agent and also stimulate the white corpuscles to fight against bacterial infections.
- Whip up 1/4 cup each of organic coconut oil and shea butter for about 30 seconds.
- Then add 10 drops of lemon essential oil, 5 drops of tea tree oil, 20 drops of peppermint oil and 25 drops of eucalyptus oil in it.
- Stir all these ingredients and pour it in an airtight container.
- Then apply some amount of this vapor rub and rub it gently on your chest and back (where you suffer from congestion).
- Also, mix a small amount of this vapor rub in hot water and inhale the steam.
- For children, dilute the vapor rub with any carrier oil and use it.
- Or mix few drops of peppermint (or eucalyptus) oil in 1/2 cup of lukewarm coconut oil. Store it and dab it under your nose or apply it on your chest.
- Also, slice up 1-inch ginger and place it in a pot which is filled with water. Bring it to a boil and remove the heat. Let it steep for 15 – 20 minutes and store it. Add 1 tablespoon each of ACV and raw honey and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil along with warm syrup (heat up the syrup again).
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids like soups, herbal teas, etc. to loosen up the congestion.
- Get enough sleep, as the body repairs itself when you’re sleeping properly. But be sure to elevate your head while sleeping to prevent mucous buildup.
- Gargling with salt water a few times daily will relieve you from a sore throat and thereby thins the mucus to get rid of congestion.
- Steam acts as instant and natural decongestant. Breathe in the steam to thin out the mucous and to drain it easily.
- Prepare a decongestant salve by mixing 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 8 drops of eucalyptus oil, 5 drops of peppermint oil and 3 drops of camphor oil to 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil. Stir well and refrigerate it. Apply it on the chest, neck and back of the body.
- Smoking can worsen the respiratory and lung problems, as it irritates the mucous membrane and triggers excessive production of chest mucous. So, stop smoking.
- Run humidifier (especially at night bedtime) to add moisture to the air and thus helps you to breathe properly.
- Practice some breathing exercises like pranayama in yoga that improves your breathing.
- Rinse your nasal passage with a neti pot or saline sprays or gargle to clear mucus and also it’s best to stay away from respiratory irritants.
- Include foods like garlic, hot fluids, pineapple, spices and herbs, omega – 3 fatty acids, vitamin C, etc. and exclude dairy products, sugars, potatoes, grains, other starchy vegetables.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from the congestion and get treatment after thorough diagnose.
Give a trial to these DIY Natural Homemade Decongestants to get rid of congestion. Feel free to share your experience with us in the below comments box.