Everyone experience the muscle cramp at least once in their lifetime and it is most common in sports people. In research, it is stated that about 39% of marathon runners, 60% of cyclists and 79% of athletes will suffer from this muscle cramp remedies.
Sudden and involuntary contractions occur most commonly in the back muscles of the lower leg, front muscle or back muscles of the thighs. It may also occur in the areas like arms, abdominal wall, hands and feet.
Sudden and intense sharp pain, soreness, swelling and inflammation is some of the symptoms experienced by people with muscle cramps. These cramps will last for few seconds to 15 minutes or longer.
Over usage of the muscle is the main cause for this cramp and other reasons include poor circulation, dehydration, muscles injuries, poor diet (lacking in the calcium, potassium or magnesium), certain medical problems (restless leg syndrome, spinal nerve compression, pregnancy, diabetes, kidney failure, alcoholism, hypothyroidism), pregnancy, alcoholism, etc.
However, medicines are not needed to treat an ordinary muscle cramp but you can reduce the discomfort and speed up the recovery time with some natural home remedies.
Natural Home Remedies for Muscle Cramps:
Here are the best natural ways that widely used to treat muscle cramps and strengthen your muscles to get rid of the problem. Have a look at these remedies and follow them.
Remedy – 1: (Hot and Cold Compress)
Applying heat on the affected muscles will relax them and relieves you from the tightness, pain, and cramping. Cold compress will numb the pain, reduce inflammation and soreness by constricting the blood vessels.
- Dip a clean towel in hot water and squeeze it to remove excess water.
- Place this hot towel (or hot water bottle wrap in a thin towel) over the affected tense muscle area for few minutes.
- Take out the towel and repeat the same process for few times a day.
- Then after that, wrap a handful of ice cubes in a thin towel and place it on the tight muscles.
- Gently rub the area for 10 – 15 minutes and repeat the same for few times.
- Continue doing the same process regularly till you get complete relief from the muscle cramps.
Note: Or taking hot or cold showers will improve the blood circulation and relaxes your sore muscles.
Remedy – 2: (Massage)
Massage your affected muscle using long strokes will ease the stiffness and soreness. For best results, wrap the affected area with a warm towel. Here wintergreen has methyl salicylate that relieves pain and thus stimulates blood flow.
- Add 1 part of wintergreen oil with 4 parts of vegetable oil and stir well.
- Apply this mix on the affected muscles and massage gently for few minutes.
- Leave it on for few minutes and wipe it off to clear the excess oil.
- Continue this massage regularly to get complete relief from the muscles and leg pains.
Note: Or massage the affected area with any warm carrier oil (like clove oil) using a firm strokes for few minutes before bedtime will relax the strained muscles and to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 3: (Epsom Salt Bath)
Epsom salt has rich content of magnesium that relaxes your tense muscles to get rid of muscle cramps. It soothes the muscles, eases stress and detoxifies your body to get rid of the tightness in your muscles.
- Pour 2 cups of Epsom salt in your bathtub and run warm water over it.
- Stir well and soak yourself in this bath water for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Repeat this bath for 2 – 3 times a week, if you’re suffering from frequent muscle cramps, to get rid of the problem.
- For best results, massage your affected muscles using a pain-killing or muscle relaxing essential oils after having a hot shower.
- Also, people suffering from high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes should avoid using Epsom salt bath.
Remedy – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a powerhouse of several nutrients like potassium which helps to relieve muscle cramps. It also balances your fluid levels to get rid of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance causing muscle cramps.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of organic ACV and raw honey and 1 tablespoon of calcium lactate in 1/2 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink this mix at night about 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Continue the intake of this liquid for once daily at night times to get relief from the nocturnal leg cramps.
- Also, mix 1 tablespoon of raw ACV in 1 glass of warm water and drink it for once daily till you prevent these muscle cramps.
- Or taking vitamin E will help to improve the blood flow through the arteries and prevent nocturnal leg cramps.
Remedy – 5: (Rosemary)
Rosemary has anti-inflammatory property and provides a warming effect on the affected muscle, which in turn promotes relaxation by reducing soreness and swelling.
- Place 1 ounce of rosemary leaves in a 1-pint jar filled with boiling water.
- Cover it and allow it to steep for about 30 minutes.
- Then soak a washcloth in this warm liquid and wring the cloth to remove excess water.
- Place the cloth on the affected muscle for 10 – 15 minutes and remove it.
- After the pain improves, you can go for a cold compress.
Note: Or pour 1 – 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary in 1 cup of hot water. Let it steep for about 10 minutes and strain it. Drink this herbal tea for 2 – 3 times daily. Also, drink any herbal teas to get rid of cramps.
Remedy – 6: (Blackstrap Molasses)
Blackstrap molasses is enriched with calcium and potassium that helps to maintain strong and healthy muscles and thus prevents cramps.
- Add 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to 1 glass of warm milk (or water) and stir well.
- Drink it daily to get quick relief from the pain and treats muscle cramps.
Tips and Precautions:
- Yellow mustards promote the production of acetylcholine (a neurotransmitter that makes muscles to work properly) with its acetic acid content, which in turn relieves you from the soreness and cramps. Consume 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard followed with warm milk.
- Regularly perform some simple yoga and stretching exercises like swimming and other stretches to reduce pain and inflammation on the affected muscles.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and other healthy drinks (fruit juices, herbal teas or soups) to get rid of muscle cramping and other health problems. Also, drink 1 glass of warm milk at night before bedtime will help the body to absorb the calcium to prevent leg cramps.
- Include magnesium and calcium along with vitamins (A & E) to prevent muscle cramps.
- Consult your doctor to get a multivitamin and mineral supplement to reduce the muscle cramps and make the muscles strong.
- Fix your posture perfectly to get rid of muscle pain or spasms, as bad posture will cause muscle cramps. Practice posture exercises to maintain good posture as a part of your workout routines.
- Wear a proper footwear (prevent extra pressure on the muscles) and avoid tight leggings or jeans to get relief from the muscle or leg cramps.
Stop suffering from leg or muscle cramps and start using these natural remedies to get rid of muscle cramps. Do you know any other effective remedies for muscle cramps? Then share it with us.