Having an even skin tone will definitely help to enhance your beauty. But most of us won’t take proper care on the elbows and knees, which become darker and thereby makes you self-conscious while wearing short sleeve, skirts, tops or shorts.
Most of us know that the skin around the knees and elbows are thicker and has more folds than its surrounding skin areas why because it doesn’t contain any oil glands and thereby the skin gets drier easily.
So, one should take proper care and hygiene towards their elbows and knees to protect it from dryness and darkness when compared to other body parts. Other reasons include frequent rubbing or friction, overexposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays, genetics, hormonal imbalances, dry skin, the buildup of dead skin, obesity, raised melanin pigment, etc.
No one will escape from this problem, as it can happen by leaning the elbows over the table or kneeling on the ground and not exfoliating the area regularly will result in turning them as dark. There are no proper cosmetic creams or lotions available for treating your dark elbows and knees without harming your skin or spending money on salon treatment is not possible for everyone.
So, always choose the best natural remedies to exfoliate and lighten the dark knees and elbows. The regular follow up of these home remedies along with some simple skin care techniques will help you to get rid of these dark elbows and knees.
Home Remedies for Dark Elbows and Knees:
Here are some best remedies that help you in exfoliating, bleaching and moisturizing the skin to get rid of these dark patches. The only contribution you have to do is to be regular with the treatments.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil contains essential fatty acids and vitamin E that helps to repair and lighten your skin tone and thereby prevent skin dryness. Regular usage of natural oils will keep the skin hydrated and well moisturized and also heals the dark and damaged skin.
Here are a few ways of using coconut oil for dark elbows and knees.
- After taking your shower and dry your skin, apply coconut oil to the knees and elbows. Massage it gently for 2 – 3 minutes till the oil absorbed into the skin. Let it dry naturally and repeat this application for several times daily until you get rid of dryness.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and stir well. Spread this mix on the black elbows and knees and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it for 15 – 20 minutes and wipe off the mix with a paper towel. Repeat it once daily.
- Take 1 tablespoon of walnut powder and add enough coconut oil to it. Stir well to make a thick paste and spread it on the affected areas of the skin. Exfoliate these dark patches around the knees and elbows for a couple of minutes. Rinse off with water and do it regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
Remedy – 2: (Lemon)
Lemon exhibits natural bleaching and exfoliating properties that help to remove the dead skin cells along with lightening those dark patches. It has rich content of vitamin C that promotes the regeneration of healthy skin cells to get rid of dark knees and elbows.
Here are a few ways of using lemon for dark elbows and knees.
- Extract lemon juice freshly and apply it on the elbows and knees. Massage gently for a few minutes and let it sit for another 20 minutes. Finally, rinse the area with warm water and apply moisturizer. Do it 2 – 3 times daily until you get complete relief from the dark patches on knees and elbows.
- Honey helps to moisturize and lightens your skin. Extract the juice of 1 lemon and mix the juice with 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Stir well and slather it on the affected areas. Leave it for about 20 – 25 minutes and wash the area with water. Do it once daily.
- Gram flour exfoliates the skin. Take some gram flour and fresh lemon juice and stir well to make a fine paste. Apply it to the skin and rub it gently in circular motions. Let it dry naturally and rinse the body to get a light colored skin.
- Remember that not to avoid sun exposure for 3 hours after applying lemon juice.
- Applying fruit or vegetable juices like tomato or grapes which have great bleaching property on the black knees and elbows regularly will help you to fade the darkness and makes the skin soft and smooth.
Remedy – 3: (Yogurt)
The rich content of lactic acid in yogurt will help to lighten the skin color. It cleanses and moisturizes the skin to prevent the dark patches and dryness on these rough skin areas.
Here are few ways of using yogurt for dark elbows and knees.
- Vinegar helps to moisture and lightens the skin to prevent dark knees and elbows. Mix 1 teaspoon each of white vinegar and plain yogurt to make it a smooth paste. Spread it all over the affected areas and let it sit for a few minutes to get dried. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry the skin. Apply a moisturizer and continue the process for once or twice daily.
- Add 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt in 2 tablespoons of gram flour and stir well to make a thick paste. Apply it all over the dark elbows and knees and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Rub it gently with wet fingers as a scrub to remove the paste. Finally, rinse with water and continue it 2 – 3 times a week.
Remedy – 4: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda acts as a natural cleanser that effectively treats dark knees and elbows. It balances your skin’s pH levels and exfoliates the skin to remove dead cells and thereby to reduce hyperpigmentation that forms around the elbows and knees.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and raw milk (contain lactic acid and antioxidants that make the skin smooth and moisturized) and stir well to make a fine paste.
- Apply it to the affected areas and start rubbing it gently in circular motions for 2 – 4 minutes.
- After that, rinse the area with lukewarm water and dry the skin thoroughly.
- Continue doing this process on alternate days till you get rid of the dark discoloration of knees and elbows.
Note: Or mix baking soda with enough water to make a fine paste. Apply it to the affected areas by massaging gently. Rinse off after few minutes and repeat the same process regularly.
Remedy – 5: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer and skin soother that help to hydrate and moisturize the skin. It helps to maintain an even skin tone and promote the repair of skin cells that are damaged by sun exposure.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and break it to open the leaf and extract its gel.
- Apply it to the affected areas and massage gently for a couple of minutes.
- Allow it to sir for about 20 – 30 minutes and rinse the area with lukewarm water.
- Continue doing the same process for once or twice daily for few weeks to get rid of the dark ashy elbows and knees.
Remedy – 6: (Almonds)
Both almonds and almond oil are very effective in treating various skin problems, including dark elbows and knees. Almonds have rich content in vitamin E (skin-repairing) and skin nourishing properties that help to maintain an even skin tone and thereby keep your skin glowing and healthy.
Here are few ways of using almond or almond oil for treating dark elbows or knees.
- Take some almond oil and warm it slightly for a couple of minutes. Apply it to the affected areas and massage it gently for about 5 minutes at night before bedtime. Leave it for overnight and rinse it off in the next morning. Do it daily for a few days until you notice the improvements.
- Take 1 – 2 tablespoons of coarsely powder almonds in some plain yogurt. Stir well to make a thick paste and apply it to the darkened knees and elbows. Let it dry naturally for few minutes and then rub the area with your wet fingers in circular motions. Rinse it with cold water and do it once or twice daily.
- Apply few drops of almond oil on the knees and elbows and start massaging for few minutes till the oil absorbed into the skin. Leave it like that, as almond oil won’t be greasy on the skin. Do it twice daily i.e. once in the morning and once at night time.
Remedy – 7: (Mint)
Mint exhibits several volatile oils that promote your collagen production in the body. It helps to maintain an even skin tone and thereby makes your skin glowing and healthy.
- Take a handful of fresh mint leaves and boil it in 1/2 cup of water for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Then add the juice of 1/2 a lemon to it and strain it.
- Let it cool for few minutes and rub it on the knees and elbows by using a cotton ball.
- Allow it to sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Repeat the same process for once or twice daily until you get satisfied with the results.
Remedy – 8: (Turmeric)
Turmeric is a natural skin whitener and exfoliates the skin to remove impurities and dead skin cells on the knees and elbows. Regular usage of this turmeric will help to lighten the dark skin and hydrate the skin.
Here are few ways of using turmeric to brighten your dark elbows and knees.
- Take some turmeric powder and add it to 1 teaspoon of milk (or milk cream) to make a fine paste. Apply it to the knees and elbows thoroughly. Massage for a few minutes and leave it to dry naturally. Finally, rinse off with lukewarm water. Do it once daily to get rid of these black knees and elbows.
- Take equal quantities of turmeric powder and gram flour in a bowl. Stir well by adding enough rose water to it till it forms a fine paste. Apply it on the elbows and knees and massage gently for few minutes. Let it sit for a few minutes until it dries naturally. Scrub the dried mask with your wet fingers and rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat it once daily till you notice the improvements in lightening the skin.
Remedy – 9: (Cucumber)
Cucumber exhibits natural bleaching and hydrating properties that not only moisturizes the skin but also lightens the dark elbows and knees. It also aids in removing the impurities from the outer layer of the skin by gently exfoliating it.
- Mix equal quantities of fresh cucumber juice and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Add some turmeric powder and stir well.
- Spread this mix on the affected areas and leave it for 20 – 30 minutes.
- After that, wash the applied area with water and continue doing the same process once daily.
- Or simply rub a thick slice of cucumber (fresh cucumber juice) all over the knees and elbows for 10 minutes. Leave it for another 5 minutes and finally, rinse with cold water. Do it once daily for best results.
- Potato and papaya will exhibit the same properties like skin hydrating and natural bleaching just like cucumber. So, simply rub a thick slice of raw potato or ripe papaya on your dark knees and elbows for 5 minutes daily before taking your shower.
Remedy – 10: (Olive Oil and Sugar)
Olive oil contains natural fatty acids that moisturize and nourishes the skin. Sugar granules exfoliate the skin to clear dead cells and this combination will help to hydrate and nourish the skin to clear the dark discoloration on the knees and elbow areas of the skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of olive oil and sugar thoroughly to make a scrub paste.
- Apply it on the black knees and elbows and start scrubbing in circular motions for about 5 minutes.
- After that, rinse the area with lukewarm water and then cold water to close the skin pores.
- Continue this scrub on every alternate day until you get complete relief from the dark knees and elbows.
Note: Or simply pour 1 tablespoon of sugar in 1 ½ tablespoon of vitamin E oil and stir well. Use it to scrub the area for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
Tips and Precautions:
- Moisturize your knees and elbows with natural moisturizers like shea butter, cocoa butter or clarified butter in every night before going to bed. Leave it on for overnight.
- Avoid putting pressure on the knees and elbows why because it makes the skin dark and rough and thereby delays the skin lightening process.
- Not only face but also protect your knees and elbows from the harmful sun’s UV rays by wearing sunscreen throughout the year and moisturizer at night before bedtime.
- Exfoliating regularly by using a scrubber or pumice stone will definitely help to clear the dead skin cells but avoid scrubbing on the open wounds, as it worsens the problem and increases the risk of getting an infection.
- Prefer to wear full length and long sleeved clothes while going out, especially when the temperature is high.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids like herbal teas, smoothies, fresh fruits, and vegetables, etc. to moisturize and nourish the skin and to prevent dryness.
- Follow a healthy and well-balanced diet that includes proteins, vitamins, and minerals for optimal skin nourishment.
- Applying 3% hydrogen peroxide generously on the knees and elbows by using a cotton ball and rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 – 20 minutes will help to lighten the dark discoloration on the knees and elbows.
- The acetic acid (natural bleaching agent) in apple cider vinegar will exfoliate and lighten the skin to get rid of ashy knees and elbows. Dilute 1 tablespoon of ACV in 1 tablespoon of water and apply it to the affected skin areas by using a cotton ball. Wait for 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Consult your doctor if you’re suffering from any skin related problems that may result in darkening your elbows and knees.
The next time when you notice black knees and elbows, make sure to try these natural remedies regularly until you get relief from the ashy knees and elbows.
Do you know any other successful remedies to get rid of dark knees and elbows? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.