Stretch marks appear when there is a sudden change in the skin size that caused due to rapid weight loss or gain, genetics, hormonal imbalance (pregnancy, puberty), stress, usage of certain medications, etc. and make the dermis layer of the skin gets ripped due to the stretching of the skin.
The most common areas for occurring stretch marks are abdomen, buttocks, upper arms, breasts, lower back, thighs, legs, and hips. Keeping your skin healthy and hydrated are main things to do for preventing stretch marks. This will help to improve the skin’s elasticity and thereby reduce or fade your stretch marks on the skin.
However, the stretch marks can’t be removed completely but we can lighten them with the usage of some natural remedies rather than using commercial cosmetic creams.
Here we are discussing an amazing remedy called lemon for treating your stretch marks. It is an effective natural ingredient that helps to lighten the stretch marks without any side effects.
Let’s get started…
How Does Lemon Juice Lighten your Stretch Marks?
Is lemon effective in fading the stretch marks? This question arises in most people. So, here we are mentioning some of its properties that used to fade the stretch marks effectively.
- It exfoliates the skin to eliminate the dead cells and other impurities with its acidic nature to clear these marks.
- It has skin lightening (or bleaching) property that helps to bleach the skin to fade the stretch marks.
- The antioxidant property of lemon will fight off the free radicals damaging the skin layers and thereby speed up the healing process.
- It has alpha hydroxy acids stimulate the production of collagen, exfoliate the skin, enhance the growth of new skin cells and promotes proper blood circulation.
- The rich content of vitamin C or citric acid or ascorbic acid will help to build up the collagen in the body and thereby repairs and lightens your stretch marks.
- It is enriched with all essential nutrients that are required for promoting the re-growth of skin cells and fade the marks on the skin.
How to use Lemon for Treating Stretch Marks:
Here are some best ways of using lemon for treating stretch marks. All you need is to follow them regularly till you get relief from this problem.
Method – 1: (Lemon)
This is a simple and easy method to get rid of the stretch marks.
- Squeeze out the juice from a lemon freshly in a bowl.
- Then dip a cotton ball in this fresh juice and apply it on the stretch marks at night before bedtime.
- Massage it gently in circular motions for few minutes.
- Leave it for overnight and rinse in the next morning.
- If you’ve sensitive skin, then dilute fresh lemon juice with little water or rose water or aloe vera gel or glycerin and apply on the stretch marks.
- Repeat the same process regularly till you fade the stretch marks.
Note: Or simply rub lemon slices directly on the stretch marks for few minutes.
Method – 2: (Lemon Juice with Baking Soda)
Baking soda fades stretch marks with its exfoliating property that shed dead skin cells and stimulates the growth of new skin cells. This combination will encourage the growth of collagen to clear the scars.
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 1 tablespoon of baking soda to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the stretch marks affected areas and massage gently for few minutes.
- Let it dry for few minutes and use a clean cloth to scrub the paste.
- Repeat the same baking soda – lemon application to get rid of stretch marks.
Method – 3: (Lemon Juice with Cucumber Juice)
Cucumber not only soothes the skin but also lightens the appearance of stretch marks. Here both lemon juice and cucumber juice helps to fade the stretch marks and the cucumber reduce the intensity of lemon’s acidic nature and protect the skin. It is suitable for people of all skin types.
- Mix equal quantities of freshly squeezed lemon and cucumber juices.
- Apply this mix on the stretch marks area using a cotton ball or your clean fingertips.
- Let it sit for few minutes to dry and then wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Dry the skin and apply a light moisturizer.
- For best results, continue this application once or twice daily.
Note: Or replace the cucumber juice with fresh potato juice or fresh tomato juice and apply on the skin to prevent stretch marks.
Method – 4: (Lemon with Vitamin E)
Vitamin E helps to improve the skin’s elasticity and promote the production of collagen to fade the stretch marks effectively. It has antioxidant and lightening properties that protect your skin from the attack of free radicals, moisturizes the area and lightens the stretch marks to makes it less visible.
Here are some ways of using lemon juice and vitamin E (or E-rich foods) for lightening stretch marks.
- With Vitamin E Capsules – Extract Vitamin E oil from vitamin E oil capsules in a small bowl and add few drops of lemon juice to it. Mix well and apply it on the stretch marks by massaging gently. Wait for few minutes and rinse off with water. Do this application for twice daily till you get relief from the problem.
- With Olive Oil – Stir 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil in freshly squeezed 1/2 a lemon. Apply it on the stretch marks and massage for few minutes. Leave it to dry for another few minutes and wipe out with a clean cloth. Do the same process regularly till you get complete relief from the stretch marks.
- With Cocoa Butter – Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in 1/2 cup of cocoa butter. Apply it on stretch marks and rub it gently in circular motion. Wait for few minutes to get dried properly and then rinse off with water. Repeat it once or twice daily for best results.
- With Avocado – Mash 1/4 a ripe avocado and add few drops of lemon juice. Stir well and apply it on the stretch marks. Massage gently and wash the area with warm water after 15 – 25 minutes. Dry the skin and continue the process regularly.
- With Aloe Vera – Mix 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice in 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera gel and apply it on the stretch marks. Massage for a couple of minutes and rinse with water. Dry the skin and follow it regularly.
- With Olive Oil and Vitamin E Oil – Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice in 1 teaspoon each of olive oil and vitamin E oil. Stir and apply it on the stretch marks. Massage gently and leave it to dry naturally. After that, wipe off the mix with a tissue or a cloth. Continue it for twice daily.
Method – 5: (Lemon with Salt, Milk, and Sugar)
All these ingredients will exfoliate the skin to remove dead cells and stimulate the blood circulation to prevent stretch marks. Milk moisturizes the skin and enhances the functioning of collagen to fade stretch marks.
- Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle some salt over 1/2 a lemon piece.
- Use it to rub on the stretch marks for 3 – 4 minutes and rinse the lemon piece.
- Then sprinkle some sugar in this lemon and use it to rub on the stretch marks.
- Now continue the same with milk/milk cream and let it for few minutes.
- Finally, rinse the area and dry the skin with a soft towel.
- Regular follow – up of this process will definitely help you to get relief from stretch marks.
Note: Or simply mix 1/2 teaspoon of almond oil in 1 teaspoon each of sugar and fresh lemon juice. Stir well and apply it on the stretch marks. Massage gently for 10 – 15 minutes and take your bath. Do it daily before your shower to fade these stretch marks.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can also try some combinations with lemon juice like oatmeal, turmeric powder (turmeric powder + saffron), raw honey, glycerin, etc. and apply it on the skin to get rid of stretch marks.
- Always prefer to use fresh lemon juice rather using bottled juice. Also, avoid the application of lemon on the cut or wounded areas.
- Stir lemon juice in your regularly used skin care products like body lotion or moisturizers or cleansers, etc. and apply it to fade these marks on the skin.
- Avoid stepping out immediately after using the lemon, as it causes some photosensitivity. Even lying in the sun or tanning after applying this lemon juice.
- Make sure to apply a good moisturizer to your skin after using this lemon method to prevent dryness and irritation. For best results, always exfoliate the skin before applying this lemon juice on the stretch marks.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet to keep your skin hydrated and relieves your stretch marks.
- If you didn’t any relief from these stretch marks then you should consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment, as it can also be a sign of illness.
Try these lemon methods for stretch marks. Do you know any other effective methods of lemon for fading stretch marks? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.