Almost 80-85% of the people worldwide are facing acne problems.
Every one of us including kids, adults and old people suffer from acne at one or the other stage of life.
What is acne and why do they occur?
Acne is a pimple with either white or blackhead that is highly painful. It occurs when the sebaceous glands of the skin swell up due to bacterial infection. As a result the skin pores gets blocked and leads to accumulation of pus below the skin. These acne pimples are known as spots, zits, papules, pustules etc.
They are caused due to the hormonal changes in body, infection from some medicines, improper life styles, more intakes of sugar, birth control pills, unhealthy food, genetics etc.
Inspite of spending on those costly creams or pills you can make use of lemon and get rid of acne problems. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of lemon help in destroying the bacteria and get rid of acne.
There are 6 methods mentioned below that are helpful in treating acne and acne scars.
Top 6 most effective ways of using lemon for treating acne:
Remedy 1: Lemon
The antibacterial and antimicrobial property of the lemon fights against the acne causing bacteria. The astringent property of lemon tightens the pores and removes all the dirt and oil from the skin. The acidic nature of lemon prevents the growth of bacteria and it acts as exfoliant agent that removes the dead skin cells from the skin and clears the acne.
Lemon fights against the free radicals that cause inflammation in the skin and helps in treatment of acne.
Steps to follow:
- First of all wash your face using some warm water (opens the skin pores) and mild soap to remove the dirt and oil from the skin.
- Now, pat dry your face using some soft good quality towel.
- Take a lemon and cut it into 2 equal halves and pour the extracted juice into a small bowl.
- Use clean cotton ball and dip it into the lemon juice. Press it slightly and remove the excess juice from it.
- Apply this juice all over the skin and press slightly on the affected part of skin.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes till it dries completely.
- Then, wash using cold water and pat dry the skin with soft towel.
- If you have very sensitive skin, then dilute the lemon juice before applying. Dilute it using ¼ part of water for every 1 part of lemon juice.
- If you may feel itching or burning sensation after applying lemon juice then, wash it off immediately.
Remedy 2: Lemon and honey:
The anti-bacterial property of honey fights against bacteria and destroys them. The antioxidants present in the honey acts as barrier against the free radicals and protects the skin from damaging. It is also enriched with anti-inflammatory properties that reduces the swelling and provides soothing effect to the skin.
Mixture of lemon and honey prevents the chance of acne breakouts and heals them without any further damage to skin.
Steps to follow:
- Clean the face using warm water to open up the pores and remove all the oil from the skin.
- Take a lemon and extract the juice from ½ lemon and mix it with ½ teaspoon of honey.
- Slowly spread this mixture on the entire face focusing on the acne and acne scars.
- Then, leave it for about half an hour to dry completely.
- Afterwards wash your skin using cold water and dry your face using soft towel.
- If you don’t have a sensitive skin then, just cut down the lemon and pour few drops of honey on it.
- Now, rub this lemon on your acne and acne scars. Wash it after 15-20 minutes.
- For best results you can repeat the method twice a day or thrice in a week.
Remedy 3: lemon and rose water:
Rose water has anti bacterial property that kills off the acne causing bacteria. It is best to dilute the lemon for sensitive skins as it is loaded with various benefits. It soothes the skin and helps in reducing the itching or burning sensation. You can use rose water as cleanser and remove all the dirt and oil particles from the skin pores. So, the mixture of lemon and rose water is helpful in treating the acne and acne scars.
Steps to follow:
- First clean your face using warm water and some natural soap and then, pat dry your skin.
- Take a bowl and pour 2 teaspoons of rose water and lemon water each.
- Put a cotton ball into the mixture and place it on the acne by pressing slightly and remove the cotton.
- Leave it to dry for about 15-20 minutes and then, wash it using cold water to close the skin pores.
- Then, dry the skin and you can repeat the same process two times per day to make skin acne free.
Remedy 4: lemon and turmeric
Turmeric has anti-bacterial property that keeps skin free from bacteria and fungi. It also prevents any kind of infection on the skin. The anti-inflammatory property of the turmeric will reduce the inflammation of the skin and it also avoids the itching or redness of the skin. Thus, lemon and turmeric works great together in getting rid of acne. Turmeric is also known for removing the scars so; it is beneficial in treating acne as well as acne scars.
Steps to follow:
- Take a bowl and add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and lemon juice each.
- Mix it thoroughly and apply it on the skin by spreading it equally or you can apply only on the acne.
- Then, leave it untouched for about 20 minutes and later clean it using cold water.
- For best results you can repeat this process thrice a week.
Remedy 5: lemon and baking soda
Baking soda has anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties so; it provides relief against swelling and destroys all the bacteria from the skin. It also avoids breakouts and relieves acne pain.
Steps to follow:
- Clean your first using warm water and dry it completely.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda along with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on your face and spread it all over the skin.
- Leave it for about 10-15 minutes and wash it using cold water.
- Afterwards pat dry your skin and repeat this once or twice a week and get rid of active acne along with the acne scars.
Remedy 6: lemon juice with sugar:
Sugar is used as scrubbing element to remove the dirt and oil from the skin pores. So, sugar and lemon can be used as easy recipe for treating acne.
Steps to follow:
- Take a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice along with 1 teaspoon of sugar to it.
- Now, apply this scrub on your face by moving your fingers in circular motion.
- Leave it for about 8-10 minutes and then, wash using warm water.
- Lastly wash once with cold water to close the pores.
- Pat dry your skin and use it twice a week for better results.
Few tips and precautions before using lemon juice for acne:
- Before using any substance on the skin, it is recommended to do a patch test and verify whether it is allergic to your face. So, take few drops of lemon juice and apply it on your skin, if you feel any kind of burn or itching then, wash it off immediately.
- Be careful do not apply lemon juice on your eyes and lips, because it is acidic and may cause problems for eyes.
- Try avoiding sun exposure after using lemon, to prevent photosensitive effect and you can use sunscreens to protect your skin from sun burns.
- Lemon juice is also beneficial in treating acne and other health and skin problems.
- You can also use lemon juice in your daily diet and get rid of all the skin problems and other health issues.
- Regular and high usage of lemon juice damages the acid mantle of the skin and damages the skin from inside.
- Do not forget to apply moisturizer after using lemon juice because, lemon makes skin dry and rough.
- Lemon juice can also be mixed with egg white and apply it as a mask to remove the acne along with the scars.
- Healthy food and lifestyle are very important to treat acne along with its pores. Reduce the sugar intake as it may increase the oil production and clog all the skin pores leading to acne.
- Lemon juice and cucumber mask can be applied on your skin and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Afterwards wash it with cold water and pat dry your skin.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Is acne contagious?
Many people think that acne are contagious but the fact is acne bacteria are present on everyone’s skin. They cause acne pimples only if the bacteria are triggered and cannot spread from one person to other person.
2. Can touching acne increase the infection?
Yes, acne causes itching and we feel to touch them but scratching, squeezing or touching the acne and touching same hand on other parts of skin leads to spreading of the infection. This worsens the problem and slows down the healing process.
3. Is acne a disease?
Acne is a skin disease that is caused when the skin pores are blocked. This is due to excessive production of oil, exposure to dirt and more usage of cosmetic products. Genetics is the main reason for acne problems.
4. Can a woman get relief from acne by dieting?
Increase in the weight causes increased production of estrogens and leads to acne problem. Moreover, dieting is not the solution of acne but having a healthy food in proper manner can be helpful to get rid of acne and its problems.
5. Which foods items are good for treating acne?
Eat strawberries, spinach, brown rice, blueberries, tomato, yellow and orange coloured fruits, carrots etc. that are beneficial in maintaining clear skin.
Lemon has various benefits so, you can make use of them and get rid of skin problems. There are 6 methods mentioned in the above article, which are useful to remove acne along with the scars. So, follow the methods carefully and say good bye to skin problems.
Have you ever experienced acne? Which method did you follow? Do you know any other method? Please share in the comment section.
If you have any queries please write to us in the comment section below. Our team of experts will clarify them as soon as possible.