Do you suffer from a constant urge to scratch your scalp? It can be embarrassing in public and cause a lot of discomforts. Itchy scalp is caused due to dandruff, sebaceous cysts, poor or improper hair care, dry scalp, stress or anxiety, ringworm, head lice, unhealthy diet, fungal or viral infections, etc.
If the scalp is left untreated, it results in hair loss, scalp redness, constant itching which leads to open sores, swelling, etc.
Rather than going for cosmetic treatment for your itchy scalp, you can use some natural ingredients available in the kitchen to get rid of itchy scalp.
Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp:
The listed below are the best remedies that widely used to get relief from an itchy scalp. Follow them regularly for getting faster relief from the problem.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree essential oil has terpinen – 4 – ol that exhibits natural antimicrobial and antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat itchy scalp.
- Mix 10 – 20 drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 cup of baby shampoo.
- Apply it on your scalp and massage gently.
- Leave it for few minutes and rinse off your hair thoroughly.
- Continue doing the same process daily till the condition of your scalp improves.
- Or mix 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (or any carrier oil). Massage it gently on your scalp at night before bedtime and leave it for overnight. Rinse off in the morning.
- Also, mix any essential oil with any carrier oil (like lavender oil with jojoba oil) and apply it on the scalp. Rinse off after 10 – 15 minutes with a mild shampoo to treat itchy scalp.
Method – 2: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon juice helps a lot in treating the itchy and dry scalp with its antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. It has acidic nature which further relieves your scalp from itching.
- Squeeze lemon juice freshly from 1 – 2 lemons and apply it on all over your scalp.
- Let it sit for 5 – 7 minutes and rinse off your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
- Remember if you don’t have dandruff then you have to dilute the lemon juice with water before application.
- Repeat the same process regularly till you get relief from the itchy scalp.
Note: Or mix fresh lemon juice into some yogurt and apply it on your scalp. Rinse your hair with mild shampoo after few minutes. Do the same process daily for few days till you get rid of the problem.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent the fungal or viral infection causing itchy scalp. It also balances your pH levels of the scalp to relieve you from itching and dryness.
- Start the process by rinsing your hair and scalp thoroughly with water and dry it.
- Then mix equal quantities of organic ACV and water in a bowl.
- Pour this mix into an empty spray bottle.
- Spray it all over your scalp or apply it directly on your scalp using cotton balls.
- Let it sit for few minutes and then rinse off your scalp with shampoo followed by conditioner.
- Repeat the process for once or twice a week on regular basis to relieve from the itchy scalp.
Note: Or mix equal parts of ACV and water in a mug. Use it as your final rinse after shampooing your hair.
Method – 4: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda balances your scalp pH level and thus relieves you from the itching and drying sensation on the scalp. It exfoliates the scalp and thus clears off dandruff or dust or any infection on the scalp.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with enough water till it forms a fine paste.
- Apply it your scalp thoroughly and leave it for 10 – 15 minutes.
- For effective results, apply some olive oil on your scalp before applying this baking soda paste.
- Finally, rinse off your hair with lukewarm water and dry it.
- Regular follow – up of this process will help you to get rid of dandruff and itchy scalp.
Method – 5: (Banana and Avocado)
Banana and avocado will condition your hair with its nourishing and moisturizing properties. They also reduce dryness, flakes, irritation, and dandruff.
- Mash 2 ripe bananas and 1 ripe avocado in a bowl.
- Stir it well and apply this mix on your scalp and hair.
- Wait for 30 – 45 minutes and rinse off your hair thoroughly.
- Continue doing the same process regularly till you get relief from the problem.
Note: Or mix 2 tablespoons of onion juice and 1 tablespoon of raw honey in 1 mashed ripe banana. Stir well and apply it on the scalp, wash your hair with water and shampoo after 20 – 30 minutes.
Tips and Precautions:
- Aloe vera has excellent moisturizing and nourishing properties that help to get rid of itching and dryness on your scalp. So, apply fresh aloe vera gel on your scalp using your fingers and rinse off after 10 – 15 minutes with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Natural oils like coconut oil, sesame oil, olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil or vitamin E oil will create a barrier that moisturizes your scalp to prevent itching. So, apply warm oil massage on your scalp at night and rinse off in the morning.
- Witch hazel act as a natural astringent that relieves itchy scalp caused due to hair coloring or overblowing your hair dryer. Mix 1 part of witch hazel in 2 parts of water and apply it on the scalp. Massage gently and rinse off after few minutes.
- Drink plenty of water, consume a healthy diet, do some regular exercises or yoga, have plenty of sleep, etc. has to be included in your lifestyle to get relief from the itchy scalp.
- Shampoo your hair for twice a week and clean your hair brushes and combs regularly and also avoid sharing your hair care products with others.
- Avoid over styling (or overblowing) your hair or putting chemicals on your hair, as they imbalances your pH levels and causes dryness and itching which in turn result in dandruff and other scalp problems.
- Avoid the intake of soy products, alcohol, dairy products, gluten, sugar, peanuts, processed foods, etc and take foods like garlic, banana, avocado, ginger, flaxseed, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, etc. in your daily diet to get relief from the itchy scalp. Also, consume foods that are rich in omega – 3 fatty acids, vitamins (A, B & C) and zinc.
- Consult your hair specialist if you can’t stop the urge to scratch your scalp, as it might be any underlying hair problems.
- Brush your hair regularly, get warm oil massages to moisturize your hair and avoid hot water to rinse your hair.
Try these natural remedies for treating your itchy scalp. Do you know any other remedies for getting rid of the itchy scalp? Then share it with us in the below comments box.