Whenever the thyroid gland is underactive then you will experience hypothyroidism and this condition will affect your body’s metabolic rate and other functions performed by thyroid gland with less production of thyroid hormone.
Fatigue, puffy face, muscle cramping, sudden weight gain, constipation, dry skin, depression, cold and other respiratory problems, hoarse voice, hair loss and brittle fingernails are some of the symptoms experienced by the people suffering from hypothyroidism. Women are more prone to this hypothyroidism rather than men.
Toxicity, nutritional deficiency, hormonal imbalance and food intolerance are some causes for thyroid problems. However, there is no single cure for hypothyroidism but it can be treated with a combination of lifestyle changes and supplementation.
There are many natural remedies available at home to get control over this health problem. Let’s have a look at the best remedies for hypothyroidism.
Home Remedies for Hypothyroidism:
The listed below are the best remedies that are widely used to treat hypothyroidism. Be sure to consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment and use these home remedies as an adjunct treatment.
Remedy – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil has medium chain fatty acids that are essential for improving the thyroid function. It enhances the body’s metabolism and boosts up the energy along with raising the body temperature to deal with low thyroid function.
- Use virgin organic coconut oil as your cooking oil.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to 1 glass of milk and drink it in the morning with your breakfast.
- Add coconut oil to your smoothies and drink it regularly.
- Simply consume 2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil regularly to enhance the thyroid functioning.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) restores the body’s pH balance, detoxifies your body, aids in weight loss, improves your energy levels, stimulate your metabolism and thus regulate your hormones to enhance the underactive thyroid glands.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of organic ACV, 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink it once or twice daily to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 3: (Evening Primrose Oil)
Evening primrose oil is rich in gamma linoleic acids (GLA) that exhibit anti-inflammatory properties and also increases the thyroid hormones level in the body.
It also works on the symptoms of hypothyroidism like hair loss, heavy menstrual flow, cold, etc. The recommended dosage of evening primrose oil is 2 – 8 grams daily. Consult your doctor to know the right dosage as per your health condition.
Remedy – 4: (Ginger)
Ginger has a rich source of magnesium, potassium, and zinc that stimulate the thyroid gland to function properly. It has an anti-inflammatory property that relieves your pain and swelling along with improving thyroid functioning.
- Rinse 2 – inch ginger root thoroughly and cut it into slices.
- Place them in a cup and pour hot water over it.
- Cover it and let it steep for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add some fresh lemon juice and raw honey to it.
- Stir and drink this ginger tea for 2 – 3 times daily to get rid of the problem.
Note: Also, chew few slices of fresh ginger (or) include ginger in your daily diet or soups (or) drink ginger ale (or) consume ginger rich snacks or cookies for treating hypothyroidism.
Remedy – 5: (Siberian Ginseng)
Siberian ginseng helps to stimulate the adrenal and thymus glands which in turn help for the proper functioning of thyroid gland. It is also effective in treating symptoms of hypothyroidism like fatigue, depression.
Take 100 – 200 mg of Siberian ginseng extract for twice daily i.e. once before breakfast and once before lunch. But make sure to consult your doctor before taking this supplement regimen.
Remedy – 6: (Supplements)
Taking the following supplements will treat hypothyroidism but make sure to consult your doctor before taking supplements for the proper dosage that suitable to your health condition.
- Foods rich in iodine will help to treat hypothyroidism. Kelp is an iodine-rich brown seaweed food. Also, kale, spinach, broccoli, etc. should be included.
- Foods that is rich in omega – 3 fatty acids (fish oils) which help to increase the thyroid hormone to strengthen your immunity and cures inflammation.
- Deficiency of vitamin D will help to cure various autoimmune diseases, including thyroid problems. So, expose yourself to the early sunshine for generating the required amount of vitamin D in the body.
- Vitamin B is essential for treating hypothyroidism. So, the intake of adequate amount of B vitamins like B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9 & B12 will help to reduce the symptoms of underactive thyroid. It also enhances the healthy functioning of thyroid glands. Take vitamin B rich foods or supplements.
- Include more of selenium rich foods in your diet like brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, beef, onions, and salmon.
- Take adaptogen supplements like ashwagandha and tulsi to lower your cortisol levels and enhance thyroid functions.
- Lower the intake of carbohydrates like sugars, grains and replace them with healthy fats, as these carbs will increase estrogen and affect your thyroid in a negative way. So, consume healthy fats like coconut milk, grass fed beef, chia seeds, avocado, coconut oil, wild salmon, flaxseeds and hemp seeds.
Tips and Precautions:
- Guggulsterones in guggul will help to treat hypothyroidism by stimulating the thyroid function. The recommended dosage is 25 mg for thrice daily. It will monitor T3 and T4 thyroid hormones levels by converting T4 into most active T3 form. Consult doctor before taking its herb.
- Regularly follow a grain – free, gluten – free and A1 casein free diet which causes food intolerance and allergies to the skin and lessen the functioning of thyroid gland.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids but in a stainless steel or bisphenol (BPA) free plastic bottles. So, that it won’t disrupt the functioning of the endocrine system and thereby thyroid.
- Use a combination of turmeric, cilantro, milk thistle, and chlorella to detoxify the heavy harmful metals from the cells and organs.
- Do some regular exercises like walking, swimming, yoga and meditation to activate your overall health, including thyroid functioning.
- Include more of the alkaline diet, hemp fiber, apples, pears, zinc rich foods, etc. in your daily diet.
- Avoid fluoride rich foods, soy products, discard all non – stick cookware, canola oil, etc. in your diet.
- Try to schedule your lifestyle habits like sleeping timely, consuming a healthy diet, relieve your stress levels, maintaining a diary to record food that causing allergies, etc.
This all about Hypothyroidism Remedies, follow them regularly and share your experience with us in the below comments section.