Canker sores (or mouth ulcers) are small red bumps with white or yellow centers that appear commonly inside the lips, mouth, tongue and throat.
It is not contagious but causes some burning or tingling sensation along with certain symptoms like fever, swollen lymph glands, sluggishness, etc. These small craters like ulcers are caused due to accidental cheek bites, food allergies, eating spicy or hot foods, nutritional deficiencies, stress, hormonal imbalance, genetics, etc.
They heal within a couple of weeks but to ease the pain and irritation caused by canker sores and thereby to promote faster healing, you have to follow some natural home remedies.
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the best remedies that widely used to treat canker sores. You will discover how to cure canker sores using hydrogen peroxide in this article. Let’s get started.
Does Hydrogen Peroxide Works for Canker Sores?
- Hydrogen peroxide has strong disinfectant and antibacterial properties that help to kill the bacteria causing infection in and around the mouth.
- It acts as a natural antiseptic that helps to reduce the number of bacteria causing infections and thus heal the problem quickly.
- Regular usage of hydrogen peroxide as your mouthwash will help to maintain a healthy level of bacteria and thereby prevent the recurrence of canker sores.
- Hydrogen peroxide is very effective that it will show notice results within 24 hours of usage and helps you to get faster relief from the pain and the irritation associated with canker sores.
How to Treat Canker Sores using Hydrogen Peroxide?
Here are some best methods of using hydrogen peroxide for preventing your canker sores without any side effects. Always remember to use 3% hydrogen peroxide for treating your problem.
Method – 1: (Hydrogen Peroxide)
Avoid direct application or usage of hydrogen peroxide for treating canker sores. It should be diluted well before using.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to 1 glass of water.
- Use this solution as your mouth rinse to clear the infection inside the mouth.
- Be sure to spit it out completely without swallowing.
- Continue this process for 2 – 3 times a day till you get relief from canker sores.
Note: Or simply mix 1 teaspoon (equal quantities) each of hydrogen peroxide and water in a bowl. Dip a cotton ball and dab it directly on the sore. Wait for few minutes and rinse off with water.
Method – 2: (Hydrogen Peroxide with Baking Soda and Salt)
Baking soda has alkaline nature that helps to neutralize the acids and salt have an antibacterial property that heals mouth ulcers.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and salt in 2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide.
- Stir well and use it rinse your mouth for 4 – 5 times daily.
- Repeat it regularly till you healed the canker sores completely.
Note: If you observe any burning sensation then add 2 ounces of water in the above mix before using it as your mouthwash.
Method – 3: (Hydrogen Peroxide with Milk of Magnesia)
Milk of magnesia helps to counterbalance the sour environment of your mouth. This combination is effective in treating the problem.
- Rinse your mouth with either salt water or mouthwash.
- Mix equal quantities of water and hydrogen peroxide and dab this mix directly on the canker sores using a cotton ball.
- Leave for few minutes and then apply a little of milk of magnesia on it.
- Wait for another few minutes and then rinse off with a mix prepared by mixing equal parts of liquid Benadryl and milk of magnesia.
- Be sure to swish this mix for 1 – 2 minutes and spit out.
- Follow it 1 – 2 times a day till you healed the canker sores.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure that you should not eat or drink for an hour after using hydrogen peroxide for curing canker sores.
- Avoid prolonged or over usage of hydrogen peroxide, as it may cause some side effects. So, use it for few days and if you didn’t get relief, then consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Some people who are having a small canker sore, they can apply hydrogen peroxide directly on the canker sores (or) simply use it as their mouthwash.
- Applying ice wrap on the affected area is the fast way to give relief from the pain and inflammation.
- You can also use hydrogen peroxide based mouthwashes, ointments, etc. to get faster relief from the problem.
- Drink water and consume a healthy diet along with following hydrogen peroxide for treating canker sores.
- Always prefer to stay away from triggers that causing canker sores like spices, acidic foods, nuts, grapefruits, etc. which irritates your mouth.
- Maintain a good oral hygiene like brushing your teeth twice daily with a soft brush and avoid usage of toothpaste that has sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) which irritates your mouth.
- Get plenty of rest and reset your mind by eliminating stress. Also try some stress reduction exercises, meditation, and yoga for getting relief from stress and thereby canker sores and other health problems.
That’s all for now about Hydrogen Peroxide for Canker Sores. Do you know any other effective methods for treating canker sores? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply